Sony models

stanleyntl

Established Member
Reaction score
Are the HX510/710/910 all the same except for hard drive size?
Do they correct editting problems on earlier machines?
What is their full res time capacity?

The 910 is going to have a Digital Freeview tuner (and may also have HDMI). The 1010 will certainly have HDMI and upscaling.

I have the RDR-HX510 - and its a very good bit of kit .... Well worth the money and also has the HQ+ mode (15Mbps) better than DVD Qualityto Hard Disk Drive...

HI

Whats upscaling ?

heard of HDMI - is the upscaling related to that ?

thanks

Whats upscaling ?

heard of HDMI - is the upscaling related to that ?
Upscaling is where the player increases the resolution of your DVDs to high definition levels (720/1080). If done properly it can make a stunning difference to your DVDs. Depending on the machine such upconverted material is only viewable through the HDMI connection.

so the tv used would have to be very high res to cope as well
It needs to be capable of accepting a high res signal if you want to use the upconverting feature. It doesn't actually HAVE to be high def although you are then upconverting only to downconvert inside the TV - a bit of a waste of effort!

I'm keeping my eyes open for any threads on Sony's latest recorders and am looking forward to the first reviews of the 1010 when it comes on sale.
Just wondering if the 1010 will allow me to add (or perhaps it will do it automatically) extra minutes to the end of a recording, and if a programme starts later than it should, will the time be adjusted automatically?

Another problem I've been thinking about is how is it going to fit into my system I have the moment:
Sky box
VCR

Will I disconnect the vcr and connect the sony recorder into it's place?

The problem I have (well, I don't know if it is a problem yet. I won't know until I get the recorder) is that I have only one RGB scart connection on the back of my tv, so I have a scart switching box which has the sky box and my dvd player connected to it.
To get RGB picture from the Sony 1010 freeview box (but what about recording? Does it record the RGB signal) I can connect it to the scart switching box aswell.
Will it be as simple as that?

Perhaps I'm thinking too much into it and it will simple in the end.

Just wondering if the 1010 will allow me to add (or perhaps it will do it automatically) extra minutes to the end of a recording, and if a programme starts later than it should, will the time be adjusted automatically?
I'm hoping for the same. The EPG recording on the GXD500 is too unreliable (for missing the start/ends) at present - it needs a buffer time.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much into it and it will simple in the end
You are and it is :) A simple connection such as:

Sky TV Out >>>> Input on the 1010 and the Output >>> TV RGB In
Sky VCR Out >>> VCR in/out

...will work fine.

The 910 is now out in France. However NO HDMI and without a digital tuner.
(France still has only limited DTT coverage).
In spite of this the magazine "Telesatellite" gives it a glowing review.

Le Sony RDR-HX910*:
Un DVDScope bien né*!

The other point I've picked up is that the iLink is in only.
What's interesting is that the Sony Dealer price is given as 990 Euros which I reckon is aroung £675, so it'll be interesting to see the price of the UK model,
whcih will hopefully have HDMI as well as digital tuner?

The other point I've picked up is that the iLink is in only
...as is standard on most DVD recorders. Only Pioneer tend to have in/out iLink sockets.

The 910 is now out in France. However NO HDMI and without a digital tuner
The UK is getting a dedicated version. Not sure if it will have HDMI (the 1010 will) but it will certainly have a DVB tuner.

Details on the RDR-GXD910

Details on the RDR-GXD1010

hi
i was thinking of buying the new sony HX510. however i get a really bad reception where i live. if i waited for the upcoming model with built in freeview, does that mean i would be able to record different digital chanels whilst i am on holiday. at present i have telewest cable, and can only use one digital chanel to record whilst i am away, the rest are recorded through the tv and are of really bad quality.

thanks
/bob

does that mean i would be able to record different digital chanels whilst i am on holiday
Yes - you can set the Timer to record from multiple Freeview channels.

great, thanks for that. i don't have a DVD yet. i was going to buy one today but it makes sense to hold out for the new ones with freeview i think.

/bob

ihcl03980 said:
hi
at present i have telewest cable, and can only use one digital chanel to record whilst i am away
/bob

Yes, a ridiculous limitation - I nearly asked for my analogue box to be returned when I discovered this! :mad:

Rasczak said:

Intersting to see the price difference. If the 910 doesn't have HDMI do we think that £300 more is worth it for the HDMI and the larger disc (400 instead of 250)?
IMHO it seems a large price difference just for a connection and a larger (by 150) HD.
Surely these two things shouldn't add £300. :rolleyes:

Didn't think they would be that expensive.
If I'm going for one it will be the 910. More than enough space for my recordings.

These upcoming Sony models look very interesting indeed :)
The descriptions on AV-Land say that the 1010 will work with dual layer DVDs but the 910 doesn't, is this correct do we know ?

rogerh said:
Intersting to see the price difference. If the 910 doesn't have HDMI do we think that £300 more is worth it for the HDMI and the larger disc (400 instead of 250)?
IMHO it seems a large price difference just for a connection and a larger (by 150) HD.
Surely these two things shouldn't add £300. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why everyone is discussing the 910's lack of HDMI connection when, according to the details supplied, it DOES have it. The 710 on the same site doesn't, though. Mind you, if you look at the socketry on the AVLand site, they've all got component inputs!

JohnG said:
These upcoming Sony models look very interesting indeed :)
The descriptions on AV-Land say that the 1010 will work with dual layer DVDs but the 910 doesn't, is this correct do we know ?

It states Dual layer DVD+R recording for the 910. Am I looking at the same site as everyone else? :confused:

You are correct it does say that, I missed that bit. What I was looking at was this bit :-
"Records on DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R DVD+RW Blank Media" it doesn't mention DL there but it does on the 1010 !

simonali said:
I don't understand why everyone is discussing the 910's lack of HDMI connection when, according to the details supplied, it DOES have it. The 710 on the same site doesn't, though. Mind you, if you look at the socketry on the AVLand site, they've all got component inputs!

According to the review I've read on the French released 910 there is no HDMI, but as we know the UK model will have digital tuner and so lets keep our fingers crossed that it has HDMI to go with it.

And back to my earlier point, if the £300 price difference is just for an increase in HD size of 150, can Sony really justify it?
Lets hope someone at Sony has a look at the market and gets more realistic on the charge for increased size HD! :smashin:

Thinking about it some more, the price of these machines are rediculous.
I was thinking they would be less than £500
I'm going to wait for them to come down in price, or perhaps look at a different make when they come out.

Any other manufacturers bringing out similar machines in the near future?

Rasczak said:
Upscaling is where the player increases the resolution of your DVDs to high definition levels (720/1080). If done properly it can make a stunning difference to your DVDs. Depending on the machine such upconverted material is only viewable through the HDMI connection.

Do we expect that the upscaling circuitry would be able to upscale the live Freeview signal too or just DVD playback?

It would be great if it could act as a pseudo-standalone scaler for both sources.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom