Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony MEX-R1 - Problems

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by jbattersby, Sep 11, 2005.

1. jbattersby

jbattersby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently got myself a Sony MEX-R1 from Pixmania. For £190 it is amazing value. Though it will play DVDs (i.e. video) I got it for its giga mp3 capability. So, I installed it without a screen. It would appear that most functions work fine without the screen. But I have noticed the following things that really bug me (already).

* Start-up time. Seems to read the entire disc before it'll start playing (with MP3 discs), this can take minutes!
    * Can't set the time / doesn't pick the time up from RDS.
    * Can't disable demo mode without the use of the screen/remote control.
    * When the ignition is turned off, it doesn't remember if "attenuation" was on when the ignition is turned back on.
    * Doesn't remember that it was playing a disc when ignition power is restored (i.e. it comes back in the "off" state and you have to press play)

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, or if there are setting available using the screen - then I'd like to know.

Apart from my issues above, this is a fantastic player and amazing value.

2. ex sky man

ex sky man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sound like the switched +ve and permanant feeds +ve feeds are back to front, thats why its not remembering the settings when you take the key out of the ignition !!!!!

3. jbattersby

jbattersby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but it is wired up correctly. It remembers the volume setting, shuffel mode and where is was last playing from. I kind of hoped that there was some setting to make it less annoying.

4. jbattersby

jbattersby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a bit more experimentation, I've found that it only forgets things if the front is removed. This really is quite poor. However, given the excellent value, I guess it's not too bad.

5. deccauk

deccauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

So if you don't remove the panel, does it still scan the disc each time you turn the ignition on? A couple of minutes wait before playing anything would be infuriating!

Decca

6. Markusdavid

Markusdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got the MEX-R1 last week. It seems I have the same issues. But I think this is common. I think the main concern is the load up times of DVD's. it takes literally 2 minutes for a dvd to load everytime I switch on the ignition. This is a ridiculous amount of time, but there is a lot of information to be read.

The issue I have at the moment is that it orders my MP3 albums in album title order! This is really annoying. What I would like to do is store them in Artist order (and even then have the album order for each artist in the order they released the album, with the most recent release being last- I know that is a bit anal!).

I have tried to do this through sonic stage, but that didnt work!
    Anyone else got any ideas? Also if I add a new album to the DVD at a later date will it put it at the end of the DVD or put it in alphabetical order.