1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Memory Stick Pro, Couple Of Questions?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wokeye, Oct 16, 2003.

1. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am awaiting delivery of a Sony Cybershot DSC-P10 5MP compact camera. The camera only comes with a pathetic 32MB memory stick (better than the usual 16MB I guess!) that is far to little for a 5MP camera. I am looking to buy a 256MB memory stick, and I was just wondering what are the advantages of memory stick pro as it is obviously more expensive!

1) Does the faster data transfer speeds actually benefit a digital camera when it comes to writing to the card?

2) A normal memory stick that is a 256MB, is this 2 x 128 MB sections on the card with a switch to select which section of the card to write to? Is 128MB the maximum capacity of normal memory stick? And do you have to remove the card to access the switch or is it done from the camera?

3) Is the advantage of memory stick pro really just to combat the above (question 2) as the memory stick pro is a true 256MB stick not just 2 x 128MB sections?

Sorry I am a little vague on this, I should do more research just wondered if there are other Sony digicam owners on here?

Thanks for any help:)

2. Raas

Raas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The maximum size of a normal MemoryStick is 128 M bytes - the 256 MB ones you see are, I believe, basically two 128 MB cards in the same package with a mechanical switch to manually select between the two.

The MemoryStick PRO differs by having:
    1) No silly 128 MB address space limit
    2) A 4-bit interface (rather than 1-bit)
    3) Higher maximum clock rate

2 & 3 mean potentially faster transfer times (though it is worth bearing in mind that a PRO card should still operate at the 'old' clock rate and with a 1-bit interface...)

More info here:
    http://www.memorystick.com/en/ms/features5.html

As far as cost goes, dabs.com seems to reckon on a Lexar 256 PRO being around the same price as the 2 x 128 model

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Yes there are more DSC-P10 owners on here ;-) Fantastic little camera. I just bought a 64Mb lexar which for our purpose is sufficient. The 64Mb is enough for about 45 pictures, I just archive them of to our media server.

I have mated our DSC-P10 with an HP Photosmart 7960, the results are just amazing....

I am certain you will like the camera...

4. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got a 256mb sony ms pro from ebay for £69 inc p&p from the states, i asked for it to be shipped discretly and it turned up in a jiffy bag 5 days later marked with a value of $20, but even if i had been stung for vat ect it would still have been cheaper than most of the uk prices ,i deffo find write times to be quicker with ms pro and transfer time a little quicker but my f717 doesnt use the benefits of mspro fully.

hth

chunk

ps the cheapest prices i have found in this country were from hotkit @ £85 a stick

5. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0