1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Skid Solo, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony PC100 digital video camera, which utilises a Sony memory card to store still images. The unit was supplied with a memory card reader and a software package called ‘Picture Gear Lite’

I have never been particularly happy with the memory card reader as I find it very unreliable when trying to transfer pictures from a card to my PC, I recently installed Windows XP and now find that Picture Gear Lite is not compatible with XP (the version I have anyway) Sony’s recommendation is to move up to Version 4.1 of Picture Gear, but if I have to purchase something new to make this work then I would rather get rid of the memory card reader as well and go for something more reliable.

Does anyone use a different product to read Sony memory cards ? and if so what are your experiences. Are there any products that are USB compatible, or will allow the card to act as a hard drive to make copying easier ?

2. Drafter

Drafter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Lexar these units are inexpencive (Mine was $20.00 USD) and work well. I have a MultiMedia/SecureDigital Reader. It helps to wipe the contacts on the chip with contact clealer before inserting.
    See the link below.

http://www.digitalfilm.com/readers/index.html

Drafter

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same (PC100) and have recently bought a 128Mb 'stick' - but now I've filled it (200+ pictures), after a recent hoilday :cool: , I can't download all the pictures.
    The first 100 or so are fine but then they just don't download :( .
    I've even deleted the ones that have and then tried to download the ones that are left and still no results :mad: .
    I'm using Picture Gear Lite 3.2 and the serial port reader - anyone have any ideas as to how I can get them onto my PC... :confused:

4. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem but with a 64mb card, I had to individually open each picture (double click on image) and then use the “save as” function onto my desktop, very tedious and one of the reason for starting this post. I have found the Picture Gear Lite software to be very flaky and the card reader unreliable, I keep having to disconnect and reconnect and just want to get away from it, the product suggested above looks good and I have also found others from Maplin and Amazon, all of which appear to allow you to drag and drop images.

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear what you're saying Skid Solo - but I can't even see the pictures in the 'thumbnail' section of PicLite - so I can't double click them.
    I know that they exist though as I can see them when using the camera as a viewer.....

6. Drafter

Drafter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a different card reader Lexar, Kodak etc. they come with their own software. It sounds like your software is only reading 64mb.
    These programs think that it is a disc drive and may not be configured for the larger memory.
    Drafter

7. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Drafter - I'll save the pennies and give it a go.....:)

8. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D :D
    One of my colleagues has just bought himself a Vaio laptop (with the new P4 mobile processor)
    Anyway it's got a memory stick slot built in and Picture Gear 5...:eek:
    So I've got all my pictures (in record time too :D )

Now I'm saving the pounds to get one (it cost him £2k....!!! :eek: )

Thanks for all the advice.....