Sony MDSJE480

kelvin

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any opinions of this deck??

I need something full size for my home setup as recording onto a portable is proving to be more hassle than it's worth!!! The spec on the 480 looks pretty good and at under £100 it seems like a good buy too. Can't seem to find any reviews though... :confused:

Does anybody own one????

Kelvin

The 480 has been reviewed in What Hi-fi and (I think) Hi-Fi world. The reviews weren't overly flattering on it's sonic capabilities - the price was it's main asset!
It has the latest ATRAC version (Type S) and should be a good and reliable recorder, if somewhat basic. I'm a bit of an MD snob, so I'll be going for the MDS-JE980.

I'd love to go for the 980 but as it's going to be a Xmas present I can't really ask for that much!... ;) I'm not what I would class as an "audophile" in the music area of things either so to be quite honest, the fact that it's not the "best" is unlikely to be noticed. I'm more concerned with how my setup sounds for films and purely want it to be functional for music.

Bearing in mind the fact that for the last 2 years I've been using a portable, will there be any real loss in quality from what I'm likely to expect? Can I realistically do any better for £100?

Kelvin

Do you mean you've been using a portable MD player?
I'm biased, but I'd say you'll be very impressed with your JE780 for your needs, and you won't do any better for £100.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom