1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony MDS-JB980 - Can't record from analogue inputs...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by cerebros, Dec 27, 2002.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Finally got round to recording something via the analogue inputs tonight only to find it won't do it. I can hear the audio that is being input to the deck if I plug my headphones into the Minidisc deck phones socket, but the levels display on the deck stays blank, and if I record I just get silence when I play back.

I've double and triple checked and I've definitely got the analogue input selected on the deck. I've adjusted the recording input levels on the deck. I've used both a blank MD as well as one I've already recorded on - both checked to see that they have write enabled. I've had no problems recording via either of the digital inputs.

My connections are as follow.

MD In/Out Connected To
    Coaxial In Pioneer 656A DVD player coax out
    Optical In Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver Tape/MD optical out
    Optical Out Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver Tape/MD optical in
    Analogue In Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver Tape/MD analogue out
    Analogue Out Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver Tape/MD analogue in

I'm 99.99999999999% convinced that the problem is with the deck, but I'm not sure if the deck is knackered or I'm missing something really obvious. Can anyone help me?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    A-ha! It turns out that the deck IS recording, but seems to apply no amplification to the analogue line inputs - I'd forgotten that I'd adjusted the phones level dial upwards in comparison to the level I have it at if I'm recording via the digital inputs. So the actual recorded level is extremely low (compared to that obtained when recording from the digital inputs). I can bump it up using the decks Scale Factor Edit function, but I have to apply it several times since the maximum adjustment I can make in one go is +12dB.

I guess if I want to make recordings from the analogue Tape/MD output on the receiver, I'd need to amplify that signal before routing it into the JB980.

3. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't have to use S.F. Edit to bump up your analogue levels. Apart from the fact that it's extremely slow and tedious, a normal line level from your MD/tape loop output should be sufficient to get a decent recording level, assuming your source has a reasonable volume. You might need to turn the analogue recording level up a db or two on your JB980, but that should be it really.
    I use the tape loop on my Cambridge Audio A5 for analogue recording on my JB980, and that seems fine. Are you sure your connections are secure and clean?