Sony MDS-JB930 recording problem

Irisgraphics

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all. In my system I have a Linn AV5103 pre amp (system controller). I only use it as a stereo preamp and as such, I'm very happy with it.
I also have a Sony MDS-JB930 minidisc player/recorder which is working fine (I think).

My problem is the Linn won't allow digital recordings to the JB930 (or vica versa). It (the JB930) flashes up a 'Cannot Copy' warning as soon as it is digitally connected and won't allow me to record. Doesn't matter what source, Tuner, Vinyl, Tape, etc, etc. None of them can be recorded by the JB930. According to the minidisc manual the 'Cannot Copy' indicates that there is a SCMS infringement and I am trying to copy from a digitally dubbed MD. Which is not the case.

If is send the digital signal to a Tascam Dat recorder its fine so I think its unlikely to be the Linn.

Can anyone give me some idea as to why this is happening . . . please.

I suspect that the problem is that Sony as well as being a major electronics company is also one of the worlds largest publisher of audio and video media.Therefore they are much more serious about pirating. Digital inputs means copying without additional noise or degradation

Thanks dannnielll, I appreciate what you are saying but I'm not trying to pirate their music. To not allow me to record anything to the minidisc seems somewhat draconian. What is the point of producing a recorder/player but not letting anyone record digitally on it. Why provide a coax input? It works ok with optical input or analogue input.

So again, why bother to supply a coax input if they then block it in the software?

AFAIK SCMS would apply to both digital inputs not just one.
Can you go digitally direct from the Tascam to the MD player (make sure its something recorded via the analogue inputs of the DAT)?

Is this a new setup or one you've been using for a while, has anything changed?

Last edited:
Humble Pie time. I powered down the complete system this morning and left it for a couple of hours. I've just checked and remade the connections, turned it all on again and now all seems ok. The leads are all good quality digital leads and are fairly new. The only thing I can think of is the 'chip' side of the pre amp and the Sony Minidiscs got confused and refused to communicate. I didn't make a mistake with the connections, of that I am sure. A bit odd but all is well in the end. I just hope it lasts.

Thank you guys for your input and suggestions, I'm only sorry to have wasted your time.

Glad you got it working, don't worry about it, we all make mistakes (apart from my mrs :laugh:)
If the connection wasn't in properly especially with optical then the clocks wouldn't sync.

The Mrs is always right, can't argue with that one . . . successfully anyway.

No, it wasn't the optical, that worked fine. It was the coax that was playing up. Whatever, I'm glad it's ok and seems to be working well now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom