Sony MDR-J20 (or EX71) neck cable gone squooshy and split?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Nov 5, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If so, it's probably because you've been wearing them correctly! :eek:

Yep, it seems that wearing these phones around your neck is actually what leads to the short round-the-neck cord becoming squooshy and finally splitting. Kept the cord dangling in front, and it doesn't seem to go ... er ... squooshy. :smashin:

2. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    yep - mine are all worn out and only had them a few months

3. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As I reported in my thread about this, it is all down to friction I guess. Since getting my new ones, I have only really ben using them inside, and when i do it's in the "incorrect" manner.

I am surprised that Sony haven't done a product recall, and created a substitute which doesn't wear as easially... After all, how many people out there have just spent £30 on a set of EX71's, and can afford to keep buying a new set every six weeks? I bet this is some ploy by Sony to make more people buy them...

Also, how many people wrap their wires around their Walkman? I bet a vast majority of people do this, despite being told not to in the instruction manual. This I bet doesn't help the matter either, and can aid in making the wires go all "Squooshy"

I find the rubber used is not really top quality, and is prone to wear and tear compared to other compositions used for other model 'phones...