1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony MDR-EX71SL - Second pair broken...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Fisher, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Fisher

Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought the Sony's in May '04, the right earphone stopped working in October '04, changed them for exactly the same model and now they've just stopped working again (same problem). I have just taken them back to Dixons (which was nice) and tried to get my money back. Fat chance it appears, apparently I have two options (considering I don't want a third pair of the Sony's) which are another make of phones or 'goods to the value of'. I said I wanted some Shure E2c's which was greeted with a dropped bottom lip and head shaking which translated to 'never heard of them but we've got Panasonic's'.

Now I did jump the gun slightly thinking I would get my money back and bought the Shure's on Friday night at the Apple store (which is nice).

Has anyone here had problems with the Sony 71's because according to Dixons they have never had any brought back. Also can anyone give me any advise on my rights regarding getting my money back (except shopping at a different store in future).

Fisher

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If they became faulty within 30 days of purchase you are entitled to request a refund, otherwise it's repair/replacement. A refund or alternative product is at the retailers discretion. The bottom line is Dixons can't return the headphones to Sony for a full credit.

Oh and I've not had a problem with my EX71s. 10 months old, looking a little tatty in a couple of places but sound great.

3. Fisher

Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply MagicBoy.

I've ended up exchanging the Sony's for another pair (3rd time lucky) because the Shure E2c earphones were terrible. The plastic sleeves are much harder than the Sony's and even the smallest option is too big. you also have to push them in a lot further which is uncomfortable and the bass is much weaker. I figure I'll stick with the Sony's until I can find an alternative.
    By the way, no problem getting a cash refund from the Apple store, but then again I only bought them Friday and returned them tonight.

Cheers

Fisher

4. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Had same problem with Ex71's - one channel stopped dead after just over a year ( despite very careful use) Apparently it is a known issue. I've since moved up via Etymotic 6i's to shure e3c's. Prefer the shures - solid build and the fit/sound is exactly right for me. Etys very good too though. ( It really is a personal thing - both the sound ( some prefer the heavier bass on the sony ) and the fit ( the silicon tips on the shures are fine for me!)

5. XanaduManadu

XanaduManadu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that my sony ex71s stopped working in one ear when the wax build up filled the tiny hole in the centre of the diaphragm (the papery cover thingy). I cleared the hole using a needle, and the ear started working fine again.

6. cu3ed

cu3ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Im i reading that right, ive owned the 3 pairs of the 71's (each time the right ear broke), three pairs of the 81's (built so badly i just had to laugh after my 3rd pair in 5 months), got the E2c's which to my mind p!ss all over the sony's, and i listin to nothing but club/dance music and the bass is well seperated, you can actually hear the different ranges of bass.

Did you try the different sleeves, the ones that come on the phones are the PVC sleevs and they are WAY to hard to work right, in the packet you get sleeves that are the same softness as the sonys as well as some sponge ones (best for comfort but wont last anywhere near as long), and the cords are twice as thick!

Plus they have to go in much further in the ear canal before you get the right sound from them.

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's a complete lie (if Dixons are inferring that NOT ONE of their branches has ever had a pair of these returned), as I took some back last year for being laughably difficult to wear and sounding awful.