Sony MDR-DS6500 7.1 DD/DTS/PLIIx surround sound headphones.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by G a f f e r, Jul 28, 2012.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Just ordered these as I wanted a pair of headphones for TV/console use at night (I have separate sennheiser's for audiophile use with my hi-fi so I won't be using these for music).
    [​IMG]

...and these were the only ones that are available in the UK that do both DD and DTS.
    Sony sell them for £250, I just had them ordered from amazon for £120 (type MDRDS6500 into search rather than MDR-DS6500 to get them to show up - not sure why :confused:).
    I thought that for that price, they're worth the punt :D.

My plan is to have optical input coming from the PS3 so that late night gaming/bluray is catered for, with the TV's headphone output going to analogue in for tv watching at night (there's a side switch that lets you select between the 2 types of sources).

I don't think my LG TV optical out does a true "pass through" of the DD/DTS soundtracks from the PS3 - I think just gives a downmix to stereo signal...which is why I'll be connected to the TV via analogue instead.

Anyway, I know it's too late as I've already ordered it, but I just wondered if anyone else here has got this model? Is it a good buy (would you recommend it)? Anything I should know about it beforehand?

Cheers

2. dek11677

dek11677
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey, Just Recieved mine this week, and only tried them out for a couple of minutes as not had time to properly test them, but from the few minutes hooked up and watching some scenes from different movies on my projector, these headphones definitely deliver, you wont be dissappionted ;)

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,617
    Which Senns do you own? Am owner of HD600 myself. Would be interested to know how you think they compare when gaming / dvd watching on the PS3

It is almost like we are living twin lives. Ha

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  4. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    :D I've gone through a LOT of headphones in the past.
    I bought a LOVELY pair of Sennheiser HD480mkII's at uni and ran them into the ground. Ever since then I've never had a pair that's come close in SQ. My last sennheisers were HD575 but I gave them to my bro when I found a pair of NOS BBC HD480ii_13uk's for sale on eBay.
    They are now connected to my MF X-Cans for Hi-Fi listening. Being BBC stock, the only issue is that they're a different ohm rating than the normal "available to the public" ones, and they had a b-guage plug on them which I chopped and resoldered a new neutrik "standard" plug onto.
    It also means they're much harder to drive so I have to wack the headamp volume up quite high to get them to play well, but when they do they sound great :) ---- might end up upgrading the headamp to a more powerful one at some point.
    For portable use I have PX100's for the mbp, and my sennheiser CX300's for my ipod/iphone have been upgraded to IE6's some time ago.

The Sony's are to be solely for late night TV and PS3/Wii gaming use as I think most wireless headphones will always be soundly trounced by an equivalent priced wired pair.

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    UPDATE: Just got these. I've had an issue getting them to work fully though.

What I mean is, if you ask the PS3 to output sound via HDMI, then the LG TV will pass-through any DD track as DD 5.1....but not for DTS :confused:. DTS will get downmixed as stereo only.

So then I put the PS3 to duplicate sound out of the optical out, but then it explicitly says it's only going to send a stereo signal down it :mad:.

So I read the instructions and the only thing about inputs is that the headphones will accept:
    Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS, DTS-ES Matrix, and DTS-ES Discrete
    but will only decode PCM at either 44.1 or 48kHz

So I change the PS3 settings to have optical as primary output and check those boxes, with audio duplicated via HDMI which now will get only stereo input (fine by me as the LG is my bedroom TV and only has 2 speakers anyway).

Et Voila, everything works fine with optical into PS3 now :). All DTS tracks are recognised as are DD ones (both games and films).
    The only problem now is how to hook up the TV for late night terrestrial watching.
    The headphones -> analogue phono input sounds terrible so I may end up buying an optical switcher and connecting via the LG optical out directly - this way I'll get digital inputs from both sources (PS3 and TV) and only have to switch manually to listen to them.

EDIT II: I managed to fix the analogue out problem because I had one of these lying around:
    [​IMG]
    which I just set to "output" and connected to the scart input of the LG, with the phonos going from this to the headset input.
    Now it has a cleaner audio stereo signal than the headphone output gave and works and sounds great too :smashin:
    All I do is switch to analogue when watching TV and digital with Games/BluRay

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  6. stevem802002

stevem802002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I still get all the 5.1 dts etc from ps3 if i have the optical cable connected via a samsung smart tv (ie does it pass thru via hdmi then send audio to the receiver)
    Or is it better to have two optical cables (one from tv and ps3) to a toslink switcher?
    I also have a youview box - hopefully everything will work with just a connectin on the tv???

Just watched resident evil using the phones, amazing! Reminded me of reading this survival horror book -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...veASIN=B009JVMEGY&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21

7. Matt Wood

Matt Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Been looking at these and wondered what they are like for blocking out background noise? My next door neighbours tv can just be heard when there are quiet moments on tv especially if something loud happens on their tv. Would wearing these block out that noise? Also how well does the surround sound replicate a real surround sound system?

8. Andrew Harland

Andrew Harland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Apologies for bringing up an old thread. I have just gotten a set of these and have connected them to both ps4 and xbox one. On the xbox one i set the console to dts and the dts light on the reciever is always on, even during tv. So is it a dts signal ??

Now on ps4 i cannot get the dts light to come on exept in the main menu and games....during bd playback it reverts to dolby plx and wont output dts despite it being ticked in the settings.

Does anyone have any tips on this headst. Thanks.

9. johnieutah

johnieutah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I am interested in these and wondering what peoples opinions are in comparison to the PS 2.0 wireless headset, anyone have any experience of both? I am particularly interested if these can deliver a realistic surround sound stage or maybe I have my expectations too high.
    Cheers.

10. Matt Wood

Matt Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Had these phones about 6 months and they are incredible. At first it was very strange hearing sounds from behind you and the side. It was just like listening with speakers. They're not perfect though. Background noise is pretty much the same as if you didn't have them on which means i can still hear next doors tv if it's a bit loud. Considering how expensive they were that was a bit disappointing especially considering my sennheiser hd201 headphones at £17 block out more. They also do get warm pretty quick but as uncomfortable as it can get its something i can live with. One thing i don't know is whether they have to be plugged into a digital output to get dolby digital or dts. DD light comes on through sky box but if i plug them into tv it doesn't. Have an amp but they don't work through that. Would recommend these. Not owned the ps 2.0 wireless headset though.

11. Captain Default

Captain Default
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello. I'm on the hunt for wireless surround sound headphones.

Sony MDRDS6500 Digital Surround Headphones come up in 6th place in a review from January 2018 - The Best Surround Sound Headphones In 2018 - so I googled to get some opinions and found this thread.

This thread was started in 2012 though so are they even the same headphones?

12. Andrew Harland

Andrew Harland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Yup those are the ones mate. Still use mine on a regular basis.

13. Captain Default

Captain Default
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you.

2012 is a long time ago though. Would you advise me getting something newer now?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  14. Andrew Harland

Andrew Harland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    If you can find these for the rigjt price then they are an excellent set. However I'd imagine that better sets can be had nowadays.

15. Captain Default

Captain Default
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That is what I am having difficulty figuring out. ;)

It is still on the market and you say it is excellent.

Can two of these headphones be connected to the transmitter at the same time?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  16. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +689
    Only units purchased from Japan - UK is only one headset per transmitter.

17. Captain Default

Captain Default
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you.

18. Captain Default

Captain Default
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does it matter where in a room the base unit of any wireless headphones are located? Would putting the base unit somewhere else affect the sound from the headphones?

The TV is going to be wall mounted with no cabinets or shelves nearby. My life would be much easier if I could keep the base on a book or cabinet beside or behind me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  19. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +689
    Shouldn’t be an issue as they run on rf frequencies just as long as not to far from the headphones should be fine.

20. Captain Default

Captain Default
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you

21. Captain Default

Captain Default
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How do I put a "like" on a post?

I don'r see any options except quotes and report

22. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    I use mine on a regular basis and still loving them.

23. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +689
    They are awesome and you forget your wearing them after a while and just get sucked into what your watching