Sony MDR-1R

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bobfoc, Mar 5, 2013.

1. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Anyone actually try these rather than sell them on on ebay as they got em free with their Xperia Z?

I managed to snag a pair out of curiosity from ebay for £100 and they are actually very very good.

If you have a look now, many of them sell at auction for around the 90 mark.

Definitely a £200 headphone build and sound quality wise so a bargain to be had.

First and foremost, they sit around your ear so they're very comfortable.

And secondly... they're actually quite accurate considering they've had input from some hip hop rapping youngsters :)

Bass isn't overblown or lacking. It's about right for wide genre listening. Treble is crisp and mids are detailed but warm.

They also benefit from amping with the lows sounding more assured and the general sound having that bit more control and detail.

I also like the contrast they add to my collection from the likes of Amperiors, DT1350, D77 and JH16s.

All in all, not a bad little impulse purchase for the price of a night out in London!

2. nosluom

nosluom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    anything you can compare them to mate? i'm tempted to purchase a pair myself. do they have a nice thud to the bass?

3. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    If you're looking for a nice thud to the bass... I suggest you look elsewhere.

These are accurate and present bass very much vanilla rather than Beats style or with a slight emphasis like Amperiors.

Don't get me wrong, bass is there and its well layered but dont expect them to have that night club sound. More a well tuned hifi seperates system with even tonal balance.