Sony MD recorder needs repairing...

R

rowey

Does any one know a good place to get my MD recorder fixed?

The battery no longer charges and i know it's not the battery or charger as they're both new!

Have you tried your nearest Sony Centre (try Yellow Pages/Thomson local)? They'll send it away, but unless you're still under warranty it almost certainly won't be cost effective to repair it. A local audio/TV etc. repair place might be able to do it...

Which model MD unit have you got? Does it work with alkaline batteries instead of rechargeables?

If it's a low-end model I'd almost be tempted to sling it and get a Sharp MD-MT270 from Richer Sounds for £50...

Thanks for the reply!

I guess it can't hurt to get a quote. I can't remember the actuall code, mzr 99 or something. i know it was £250 new!

not in warrenty though..... :(

mmm, possibly the MZ-R909. Lovely unit, and would be worth fixing IMO. Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts? A dab of isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud applied to the contacts might do the trick. Good luck in any case...

Originally posted by KJ_Palmer
mmm, possibly the MZ-R909. Lovely unit, and would be worth fixing IMO. Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts? A dab of isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud applied to the contacts might do the trick. Good luck in any case...

TBH....it's an imported unit, but i've never had problems getting parts from sony in the UK.

I've tried giving it a clean, still no joy. I can't see it being much, as sometimes it will try and charge and then stop after a second or two.

...OK, do you use the charging stand? If so, you could try plugging the adaptor straight into the unit. The folks over at Minidisc T-board reckon it's best not to use the stands as it screws up battery life...

...OK, do you use the charging stand? If so, you could try plugging the adaptor straight into the unit. The folks over at Minidisc T-board reckon it's best not to use the stands as it screws up battery life...

I even bought a seperate battery charger and a new battery. the unit won't even play with a fully charged battery!

ahh.. I thought that's what you meant in your original post about your charger... well, sorry, looks like you'll have to have it repaired after all.

one final thought, does it work with the external battery case (+AA battery) attached, assuming you have this?

ahh.. I thought that's what you meant in your original post about your charger... well, sorry, looks like you'll have to have it repaired after all.

one final thought, does it work with the external battery case (+AA battery) attached, assuming you have this?

I moved house recently and lost it, though it did work with that. I noticed the sound quality wasn't as good with it though for some reason.

Strange, never noticed that. Maybe a power issue...
Anyway, let us know if you get a decent repair quote (or otherwise...).

Strange, never noticed that. Maybe a power issue...
Anyway, let us know if you get a decent repair quote (or otherwise...).

will do, thanks for the help everyone!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom