1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony MD recorder needs repairing...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rowey, Apr 18, 2004.

1. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does any one know a good place to get my MD recorder fixed?

The battery no longer charges and i know it's not the battery or charger as they're both new!

2. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know a decent repair shop? :lease:

3. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried your nearest Sony Centre (try Yellow Pages/Thomson local)? They'll send it away, but unless you're still under warranty it almost certainly won't be cost effective to repair it. A local audio/TV etc. repair place might be able to do it...

Which model MD unit have you got? Does it work with alkaline batteries instead of rechargeables?

If it's a low-end model I'd almost be tempted to sling it and get a Sharp MD-MT270 from Richer Sounds for £50...

4. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply!

I guess it can't hurt to get a quote. I can't remember the actuall code, mzr 99 or something. i know it was £250 new!

not in warrenty though..... :(

5. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm, possibly the MZ-R909. Lovely unit, and would be worth fixing IMO. Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts? A dab of isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud applied to the contacts might do the trick. Good luck in any case...

6. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH....it's an imported unit, but i've never had problems getting parts from sony in the UK.

I've tried giving it a clean, still no joy. I can't see it being much, as sometimes it will try and charge and then stop after a second or two.

7. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...OK, do you use the charging stand? If so, you could try plugging the adaptor straight into the unit. The folks over at Minidisc T-board reckon it's best not to use the stands as it screws up battery life...

8. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I even bought a seperate battery charger and a new battery. the unit won't even play with a fully charged battery!

9. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh.. I thought that's what you meant in your original post about your charger... well, sorry, looks like you'll have to have it repaired after all.

one final thought, does it work with the external battery case (+AA battery) attached, assuming you have this?

10. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I moved house recently and lost it, though it did work with that. I noticed the sound quality wasn't as good with it though for some reason.

11. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange, never noticed that. Maybe a power issue...
    Anyway, let us know if you get a decent repair quote (or otherwise...).

12. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will do, thanks for the help everyone!