Sony may charge for psn netowrk....

Jay

Banned
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=166187

For those at work

Eric Lempel, director of PlayStation Network operations, has said that the company may one day charge for PSN. He also feels PSN and Xbox Live are currently operating on a roughly level playing field and reveals improvements to the service currently in development.

Speaking to Gametrailers Lempel said that there was little to differentiate Xbox Live and PSN offerings to consumers bar the price. However, Lempel indicated that as the service grows, PSN may not always be available for free.

"Microsoft had a year jump on us for the launch and essentially we're offering a lot of the same stuff. I don't think there's a big difference in exactly what we're offering when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of what's actually there for the consumer... We're not charging money for our service. That's a key differentiating factor."

Advertisement:
However, that could be open to change in the future.

"Right now that's our model. In time anything can change but right now we're happy with it."

I for one hope that sony don't start charging until they have implemented essentials like in-game xmb :nono:

mark1000

Distinguished Member
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=166187

For those at work

Eric Lempel, director of PlayStation Network operations, has said that the company may one day charge for PSN. He also feels PSN and Xbox Live are currently operating on a roughly level playing field and reveals improvements to the service currently in development.

Speaking to Gametrailers Lempel said that there was little to differentiate Xbox Live and PSN offerings to consumers bar the price. However, Lempel indicated that as the service grows, PSN may not always be available for free.

"Microsoft had a year jump on us for the launch and essentially we're offering a lot of the same stuff. I don't think there's a big difference in exactly what we're offering when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of what's actually there for the consumer... We're not charging money for our service. That's a key differentiating factor."

Advertisement:
However, that could be open to change in the future.

"Right now that's our model. In time anything can change but right now we're happy with it."

I for one hope that sony don't start charging until they have implemented essentials like in-game xmb :nono:

It is bound to happen sooner or later, but as for PSN service being about the same as live, PLEASE, he's joking right.....

Mark.

lfc1394

He doesn’t say it’s the same, he says that they offer the same stuff, which they do. You can play online games with both, you can download content from a store with both and you can chat to your mates with both. That’s the ‘nuts and bolts’, is the way in which you can do it on Live better? Yeah of course.

Broxi1979

"The nuts & bolts of the thing are the same" :rolleyes:
Yes and you could draw that same comparison between any number of things, a Daewoo does the same things as a ferrari, only not as good. Should we charge £200,000 for a daewoo then?

Some people will defend a company no matter what they do or say.

PSN is a million miles from Xbox Live, that's just the truth of the thing. I'm specifically talking about the online gaming side of these here as all the video downloading & demos business are available on the Live Silver package, which is FREE, not to mention far slicker and faster in it's operation with the Marketplace blade.

So in terms of playing online, you can't compare the two. Live has been in place since the launch of the orignial Xbox and it has been refined ever since. I think PSN has a long way to come before they I would ever fork out money for it.

In comparison, I use Live on a constant basis, I've played Resistance online once and it has never tempted me back. Say's it all.

Jay

Banned
The more I think about it, if they do charge and if the service doesn't improve it would make me go back to the 360 especially with the ultimate on it's way. Even home just seems gimmicky. I don't want to walk about a virtual house. Just give me the ability to read my messages without exiting a game, and let me access the xmb in-game. I would rather those functions added than Home. To be honest charging for the psn in the future is a great way for sony to make money back for developing home (becaase home will be free right?)

uzi123

I'd rather PSN charge me than Live tbh

Live promote films and lots of other products, PSN doesn't. M$ are making money from us, and from plugging other things.

However, saying that:

XBL>>>>>>>PSN

geomuss

"The nuts & bolts of the thing are the same" :rolleyes:
Yes and you could draw that same comparison between any number of things, a Daewoo does the same things as a ferrari, only not as good. Should we charge £200,000 for a daewoo then?

Some people will defend a company no matter what they do or say.

PSN is a million miles from Xbox Live, that's just the truth of the thing. I'm specifically talking about the online gaming side of these here as all the video downloading & demos business are available on the Live Silver package, which is FREE, not to mention far slicker and faster in it's operation with the Marketplace blade.

So in terms of playing online, you can't compare the two. Live has been in place since the launch of the orignial Xbox and it has been refined ever since. I think PSN has a long way to come before they I would ever fork out money for it.

In comparison, I use Live on a constant basis, I've played Resistance online once and it has never tempted me back. Say's it all.
So you speak for all PS3 owners do you or are you trolling?

I think it is common knowledge that PSN is nowhere as good as Live:rolleyes:
But seeing as the PS3 is in its infancy I think we should give it time to develop, also a bonus with the PS3 is its free, yes free i say. I think you may have been a little to hasty with your online assumption, maybe try COD4 it may change your mind then again probably not.

I for one am quite happy at the moment i get my online gaming for FREE and long may it stay that way. :smashin:

Broxi1979

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
I think the majority of people who have expeienced PSN and Xbox Live will agree that Xbox Live provides a better online social experience than the PSN does.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Paying for premium services when you can get basic service for free is model that been used for years, its nothing new. It shouldn't be a shock or a cause for alarm that Sony may want to charge for a better service, just as long as it is a better service, that offers the 'nuts and bolts' in a way that we want to access them.

By the way, nuts and bolts? I think he's been playing too much Ratchet and Clank :)

Broxi1979

So you speak for all PS3 owners do you or are you trolling?

I think it is common knowledge that PSN is nowhere as good as Live:rolleyes:
But seeing as the PS3 is in its infancy I think we should give it time to develop, also a bonus with the PS3 is its free, yes free i say. I think you may have been a little to hasty with your online assumption, maybe try COD4 it may change your mind then again probably in your case not..

I for one am quite happy at the moment i get my online gaming for FREE and long may it stay that way. :smashin:

No, I speak for myself and me alone. I don't think I suggested once that I spoke for all. It's my opinion but I happen to think it's a valid one, so again, no I'm not trolling either.

I think it's a bit much to say that the PS3 is still in it's infancy. The top notch games are all nearing completion and the exclusives list looks strong for early 2008. The overall package I would say now looks more attractive to me than the Xbox but PSN still sucks.

There has been no real improvement on PSN and they suggest charging for it. That's what I take issue with. I would try COD4 but I already own it for 360 as I don't see PSN as competition with online shooters, the PS pad is also not ideal for me with shooters either.

BTW, I'm also happy enough to pay £3.30 per month for what Live offers, It's not really much to get worked about is it?

Jay

Banned
The misconception that some people have though is that playing online with the ps3 is poor. That is not the case at all. Infact I rarely have any lag when compared to my experiences on xbox live. Once in a game there are no differences at all, the psn offers a smooth online experience.The only thing xbox live has going for it over the psn is in game dashboard, for me personally if the psn had in-game xmb there would be no difference to be honest.

iCardboardRobot

I've played Resistance online once and it has never tempted me back. Say's it all.

yup that does say it all about your judgment mate, however thats your opinion so far enough, but............

PSN, i can play online, send messages to mates, talk and download demo's
not as slick as xbl but i dont care about slick, it works, thats all i need ! :thumbsup:
also it hasn't crashed all the time over Christmas !

so yea XBL it is very good, but to me personnelly its just a more flashy version of what psn is, though iam sure many here will disagree

lfc1394

Using Resistance as a bench mark shows what you CAN’T do on live, 40 player deathmatch anyone?

To me, the cost is irrelevant, I would happily pay the cost of Live if I could access the dash in game, message friends in game and be able to listen to my music in game.

But for anyone just wanting to get online and play games, it’s more than a match for live, which is pretty much what the guy is saying.

geomuss

No, I speak for myself and me alone. I don't think I suggested once that I spoke for all. It's my opinion but I happen to think it's a valid one, so again, no I'm not trolling either.

I think it's a bit much to say that the PS3 is still in it's infancy. The top notch games are all nearing completion and the exclusives list looks strong for early 2008. The overall package I would say now looks more attractive to me than the Xbox but PSN still sucks.

There has been no real improvement on PSN and they suggest charging for it. That's what I take issue with. I would try COD4 but I already own it for 360 as I don't see PSN as competition with online shooters, the PS pad is also not ideal for me with shooters either.

BTW, I'm also happy enough to pay £3.30 per month for what Live offers, It's not really much to get worked about is it?

Why cant you just admit that you are extremely disappointed in your purchase of your PS3, instead of beating it with a big stick.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Level playing field?

Laughed? I nearly pooped! :rotfl:

To me it's an admission their service isnt on par with XBL and as such they want the users money to make it as good... which is both good and bad I suppose.

Jay

Banned
Level playing field?

Laughed? I nearly pooped! :rotfl:

To me it's an admission their service isnt on par with XBL and as such they want the users money to make it as good... which is both good and bad I suppose.

I'm certain it's to recoup their costs for home. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they start charging when home hits....

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
I think its good and expected. No way would I expect Sony to make their service much improved and still keep it free.

Jay

Banned
Off-topic but I'm just waiting to hear from the 360 fanboys to start posting their constructive thoughts...:rolleyes:

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
They won't charge for home, they'll be charge for the addon's though, like wallpaper, tv sets, chairs etc.

Which is why in another thread I said i'll kit my apartment out with a fridge, a matress and a 14" tv :smashin:

Broxi1979

Why cant you just admit that you are extremely disappointed in your purchase of your PS3, instead of beating it with a big stick.

Oh I do or WAS when I bought it cos nothing seemed to work properly for me and I was underwhelmed with the games. Now I think that with the release of Ratchet & Clank, I've seen the PS3 do something that the 360 just couldn't. Although R&C is not really my kind of game it shows what can be achieved with the right developer concentrating on a PS3 exclusive.

I have now gotten used to some of the PS3s quirks like it not always firing up without physically pressing the button, the way the XMB works to access music (which is still flawed to me) the controller (dual shock will be a big plus to me) and to be fair, the PS3 has grown on me. I love the SD-DVD/Blu-Ray playback and the upcoming games list looks fantastic.

But PSN still sucks and they need to improve on it before suggesting a charge. You know as well as I do, that some people wouldn't criticise Sony or the PS3 if it peed in their grannies soup.

I criticise both machines where they deserve it.

Jay

Banned
They won't charge for home, they'll be charge for the addon's though, like wallpaper, tv sets, chairs etc.

Which is why in another thread I said i'll kit my apartment out with a fridge, a matress and a 14" tv :smashin:

Exactly they won't charge for home...No that will be free...So instead lets charge to use the psn network because home will cost sony to run and maintain.

Jay

Banned
. You know as well as I do, that some people wouldn't criticise Sony or the PS3 if it peed in their grannies soup.

I criticise both machines where they deserve it.

Oh believe me I've seen some right characters on here that won't have a bad word said about anything be it their fave console or game :rolleyes:

Me I don't care I'll play on whatever console or game I think is better.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone