Sony make Bush and Goodmans?

Bluecube

Established Member
Reaction score
A pal of mine who should know better has been trying persuade me that Sony make Bush, Goodmans and Alba TVs, DVD players, etc. As far as I know this is complete crap but he was insistent enough to make me want to ask you knowledgeable people out there - is it true?

Bluecube said:
A pal of mine who should know better has been trying persuade me that Sony make Bush, Goodmans and Alba TVs, DVD players, etc. As far as I know this is complete crap but he was insistent enough to make me want to ask you knowledgeable people out there - is it true?

It is probably possible that they contain some Sony components (Sony Semiconducters have their parts in nearly all brands at some level).

They don't actually 'make' the stuff though, it's probably assembled by some fine workman in the Czech Republic.

Your mate's talking out of his a*se.

Alba manufacture and own the names of Bush and Goodmans and are nothing to do with Sony.

"Alba PLC
The market leader in low end audio, A/V and other budget CE products in Britain, also trades using the Bush, Goodmans, Harvard International and Hinari brands (Hinari is no longer used for audio/AV products though) but also licenses brands for use on their products including Ministry of Sound that they use on lifestyle audio products and manufactures car audio products under the Roadstar name. Founded as a trading company by John Harris in the 70's, bought the Alba Radio tradename in 1982 and promptly changed it's name to Alba PLC, the Bush Radio company was purchased in 1988 and the rights to the Goodmans trademark in 1994 (the old Goodmans loudspeaker company went on trading as Goodmans Loudspeakers Limited). The company also owns the Roadstar Managment SA company in Switzerland, the company distributes a subset of the Alba product range under the Roadstar banner in central Europe while in the UK the brand is only seen on car products. Note that the company has no production factilities of it's own but rather uses OEM's, although that may change since it bought the consumer electronics division of Grundig in association with Beko Elektroniks in 2004. Official homepage. - Roadstar Management SA Switzerland"

Bluecube said:

That's a good one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You'll be telling me that Skoda's are made by VW next...... :rolleyes: ;)

The small Sony turntable around £60 -£70 is part for part identical to the bush one for around £50. Don't believe me, go to Richers to check out the bush ( :) ) and the sony centre for their version - absolutely identical bar the badge.

I'm not aware of any other products that are rebadged, but the above definitely is.

A taxi driver the other day was telling me that a 'knowledgable' friend of his who works 'high up in the electronics industry' said that there's no point buying brand name products because all TV's, Hi-fi's etc. are made by the same four or five manufacturers.

I pointed out that just because Philips, Samsung or whoever, make the CRT or LCD panel, doesn't make it a Philips or Samsung TV.

He was having none of it.

Taxi drivers eh? :suicide:

Bluecube said:

i know sony make stuff for LG, and i think maybe alba too.

but i doubt they do stuff for bush and goodmans :rolleyes:

I cant beleive Bush and Goodmans are being mentioned on a AV site.
h020.gif

deanym said:
The small Sony turntable around £60 -£70 is part for part identical to the bush one for around £50. Don't believe me, go to Richers to check out the bush ( :) ) and the sony centre for their version - absolutely identical bar the badge.

I'm not aware of any other products that are rebadged, but the above definitely is.

The MTT1 and PSLX76 were different sizes the last time I checked :confused:. The Bush normally works properly as well.

GingerMagic said:
A taxi driver the other day was telling me that a 'knowledgable' friend of his who works 'high up in the electronics industry' said that there's no point buying brand name products because all TV's, Hi-fi's etc. are made by the same four or five manufacturers.

I pointed out that just because Philips, Samsung or whoever, make the CRT or LCD panel, doesn't make it a Philips or Samsung TV.

Thats the sort of thing poor people make up because they cant afford decent makes :rolleyes:

Ive got an idea that Alba PLC also make comet/currys own brand products like proline

Actually if people saw the conditions that people work in, that assembled Sony's sub-assemblies (small PC boards and small mechanical components) they would have a slightly different attitude to Sony "quality". Their sub-assemblies are made by home-workers, often in really cramped, unhygienic conditions, and are collected daily by people with large plastic buckets. I daresay that Sony aren't alone in doing this, but much of the stuff isn't assembled in the high-tech, clean conditions that they would like us to believe.

Razor said:
I cant beleive Bush and Goodmans are being mentioned on a AV site.
h020.gif
Believe it or not Bush had a good name once of a day.

stealther said:
Thats the sort of thing poor people make up because they cant afford decent makes :rolleyes:

Ive got an idea that Alba PLC also make comet/currys own brand products like proline

What sort of patronising comment is that ????? how do,you knoiw they are poor ? In any case there is more than a grain of truth in it. One of my customers who use to run Redifon told me the very same thing and he was no Taxi driver. :rolleyes:

GingerMagic said:

no it doesnt in as much as they've got the Samsung or Philips badge on thembut economys of scale and marketingb dictate that the major components are made by a few companies thats all so the taxi driver in a sense was right. Just because he is a taxi driver doesnt make him stupid or uninformed:rolleyes:

Just to repeat the above quote:
Note that the company has no production factilities of it's own but rather uses OEM's, although that may change since it bought the consumer electronics division of Grundig in association with Beko Elektroniks in 2004. Official homepage. - Roadstar Management SA Switzerland"

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer so obviously the prodiucts were made elsewhere and just had the Alba, Goodmans or Bush badge stuck on them

Tons of fun said:
The MTT1 and PSLX76 were different sizes the last time I checked :confused:. The Bush normally works properly as well.

There is a sony unit that matches the Bush one perfectly, the part numbers escape me.

And I've added a goodmans record deck which again is identical!!! Spooky!

Attachments

• bush-mtt1-silver.jpg
    bush-mtt1-silver.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 227
  • PS-J20_1.jpg
    PS-J20_1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 41_1_b.jpg
    41_1_b.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 283
Garrett said:
Believe it or not Bush had a good name once of a day.
Too right. I had a Bush Area Hi-Fi amp in 1975 solid wood case, ali front, steel knobs and very heavy considering it's compact thin size. 20 watts RMS that with my Pioneer PL 112D and Denton 2 xp basted my uni room way louder than it had any right to with lovely clear detailed sound.

Idoexist said:
Too right. I had a Bush Area Hi-Fi amp in 1975 solid wood case, ali front, steel knobs and very heavy considering it's compact thin size. 20 watts RMS that with my Pioneer PL 112D and Denton 2 xp basted my uni room way louder than it had any right to with lovely clear detailed sound.
When a was a teenager I wanted a prtable radio an it was between a Bush or a Ferguson my father wanted me to have the Bush but I want for the Ferguson because it had more bands on, more copact. when I look back I know he was right, the Bush was for its time a classy portable looked a lot like this.
I also use to go round to my Uncles and Auntys and whilst Mum and Dad where chatting I use to go in there sitting rome and use there portable (just) use to bring in stations from the other side of the planet :smashin:

Attachments

• bush.jpg
    bush.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 117
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are about 3 or 4 major manufacterers which make about 90% of all chips, semiconductors, etc used in all home electricals. I think Hitachi is one of them.

Its wrong to say that Sony make Alba, Bush or Goodmans but thats not to say they don't contain some Sony parts.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom