Sony make Bush and Goodmans?

Bluecube

Novice Member
A pal of mine who should know better has been trying persuade me that Sony make Bush, Goodmans and Alba TVs, DVD players, etc. As far as I know this is complete crap but he was insistent enough to make me want to ask you knowledgeable people out there - is it true?
 

mrtbag

Well-known Member
Bluecube said:
A pal of mine who should know better has been trying persuade me that Sony make Bush, Goodmans and Alba TVs, DVD players, etc. As far as I know this is complete crap but he was insistent enough to make me want to ask you knowledgeable people out there - is it true?
It is probably possible that they contain some Sony components (Sony Semiconducters have their parts in nearly all brands at some level).

They don't actually 'make' the stuff though, it's probably assembled by some fine workman in the Czech Republic.
 

Beobloke

Active Member
Your mate's talking out of his a*se.

Alba manufacture and own the names of Bush and Goodmans and are nothing to do with Sony.
 

la gran siete

Well-known Member
"Alba PLC
The market leader in low end audio, A/V and other budget CE products in Britain, also trades using the Bush, Goodmans, Harvard International and Hinari brands (Hinari is no longer used for audio/AV products though) but also licenses brands for use on their products including Ministry of Sound that they use on lifestyle audio products and manufactures car audio products under the Roadstar name. Founded as a trading company by John Harris in the 70's, bought the Alba Radio tradename in 1982 and promptly changed it's name to Alba PLC, the Bush Radio company was purchased in 1988 and the rights to the Goodmans trademark in 1994 (the old Goodmans loudspeaker company went on trading as Goodmans Loudspeakers Limited). The company also owns the Roadstar Managment SA company in Switzerland, the company distributes a subset of the Alba product range under the Roadstar banner in central Europe while in the UK the brand is only seen on car products. Note that the company has no production factilities of it's own but rather uses OEM's, although that may change since it bought the consumer electronics division of Grundig in association with Beko Elektroniks in 2004. Official homepage. - Roadstar Management SA Switzerland"
 

Nick_UK

Banned
Bluecube said:
A pal of mine who should know better has been trying persuade me that Sony make Bush, Goodmans and Alba TVs, DVD players, etc. As far as I know this is complete crap but he was insistent enough to make me want to ask you knowledgeable people out there - is it true?
That's a good one :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You'll be telling me that Skoda's are made by VW next...... :rolleyes: ;)
 

deanym

Active Member
The small Sony turntable around £60 -£70 is part for part identical to the bush one for around £50. Don't believe me, go to Richers to check out the bush ( :) ) and the sony centre for their version - absolutely identical bar the badge.

I'm not aware of any other products that are rebadged, but the above definitely is.
 

GingerMagic

Active Member
A taxi driver the other day was telling me that a 'knowledgable' friend of his who works 'high up in the electronics industry' said that there's no point buying brand name products because all TV's, Hi-fi's etc. are made by the same four or five manufacturers.

I pointed out that just because Philips, Samsung or whoever, make the CRT or LCD panel, doesn't make it a Philips or Samsung TV.

He was having none of it.

Taxi drivers eh? :suicide:
 

oxygenuk

Banned
Bluecube said:
A pal of mine who should know better has been trying persuade me that Sony make Bush, Goodmans and Alba TVs, DVD players, etc. As far as I know this is complete crap but he was insistent enough to make me want to ask you knowledgeable people out there - is it true?
i know sony make stuff for LG, and i think maybe alba too.

but i doubt they do stuff for bush and goodmans :rolleyes:
 

Razor

Distinguished Member
I cant beleive Bush and Goodmans are being mentioned on a AV site.
 

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
deanym said:
The small Sony turntable around £60 -£70 is part for part identical to the bush one for around £50. Don't believe me, go to Richers to check out the bush ( :) ) and the sony centre for their version - absolutely identical bar the badge.

I'm not aware of any other products that are rebadged, but the above definitely is.
The MTT1 and PSLX76 were different sizes the last time I checked :confused:. The Bush normally works properly as well.
 

stealther

Active Member
GingerMagic said:
A taxi driver the other day was telling me that a 'knowledgable' friend of his who works 'high up in the electronics industry' said that there's no point buying brand name products because all TV's, Hi-fi's etc. are made by the same four or five manufacturers.

I pointed out that just because Philips, Samsung or whoever, make the CRT or LCD panel, doesn't make it a Philips or Samsung TV.

He was having none of it.

Taxi drivers eh? :suicide:
Thats the sort of thing poor people make up because they cant afford decent makes :rolleyes:

Ive got an idea that Alba PLC also make comet/currys own brand products like proline
 

Nick_UK

Banned
Actually if people saw the conditions that people work in, that assembled Sony's sub-assemblies (small PC boards and small mechanical components) they would have a slightly different attitude to Sony "quality". Their sub-assemblies are made by home-workers, often in really cramped, unhygienic conditions, and are collected daily by people with large plastic buckets. I daresay that Sony aren't alone in doing this, but much of the stuff isn't assembled in the high-tech, clean conditions that they would like us to believe.
 

Garrett

Moderator
Razor said:
I cant beleive Bush and Goodmans are being mentioned on a AV site.
Believe it or not Bush had a good name once of a day.
 

la gran siete

Well-known Member
stealther said:
Thats the sort of thing poor people make up because they cant afford decent makes :rolleyes:

Ive got an idea that Alba PLC also make comet/currys own brand products like proline
What sort of patronising comment is that ????? how do,you knoiw they are poor ? In any case there is more than a grain of truth in it. One of my customers who use to run Redifon told me the very same thing and he was no Taxi driver. :rolleyes:
 

la gran siete

Well-known Member
GingerMagic said:
A taxi driver the other day was telling me that a 'knowledgable' friend of his who works 'high up in the electronics industry' said that there's no point buying brand name products because all TV's, Hi-fi's etc. are made by the same four or five manufacturers.

I pointed out that just because Philips, Samsung or whoever, make the CRT or LCD panel, doesn't make it a Philips or Samsung TV.

He was having none of it.

Taxi drivers eh? :suicide:
no it doesnt in as much as they've got the Samsung or Philips badge on thembut economys of scale and marketingb dictate that the major components are made by a few companies thats all so the taxi driver in a sense was right. Just because he is a taxi driver doesnt make him stupid or uninformed:rolleyes:
 

la gran siete

Well-known Member
Just to repeat the above quote:
Note that the company has no production factilities of it's own but rather uses OEM's, although that may change since it bought the consumer electronics division of Grundig in association with Beko Elektroniks in 2004. Official homepage. - Roadstar Management SA Switzerland"

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer so obviously the prodiucts were made elsewhere and just had the Alba, Goodmans or Bush badge stuck on them
 

deanym

Active Member
Tons of fun said:
The MTT1 and PSLX76 were different sizes the last time I checked :confused:. The Bush normally works properly as well.
There is a sony unit that matches the Bush one perfectly, the part numbers escape me.

And I've added a goodmans record deck which again is identical!!! Spooky!
 

Attachments

KoThreads

Well-known Member
Garrett said:
Believe it or not Bush had a good name once of a day.
Too right. I had a Bush Area Hi-Fi amp in 1975 solid wood case, ali front, steel knobs and very heavy considering it's compact thin size. 20 watts RMS that with my Pioneer PL 112D and Denton 2 xp basted my uni room way louder than it had any right to with lovely clear detailed sound.
 

Garrett

Moderator
Idoexist said:
Too right. I had a Bush Area Hi-Fi amp in 1975 solid wood case, ali front, steel knobs and very heavy considering it's compact thin size. 20 watts RMS that with my Pioneer PL 112D and Denton 2 xp basted my uni room way louder than it had any right to with lovely clear detailed sound.
When a was a teenager I wanted a prtable radio an it was between a Bush or a Ferguson my father wanted me to have the Bush but I want for the Ferguson because it had more bands on, more copact. when I look back I know he was right, the Bush was for its time a classy portable looked a lot like this.
I also use to go round to my Uncles and Auntys and whilst Mum and Dad where chatting I use to go in there sitting rome and use there portable (just) use to bring in stations from the other side of the planet :smashin:
 

Attachments

la gran siete

Well-known Member
My very first amp was an Alba which rather idiosyncratically looked like a keyboard
 

Miyazaki

Well-known Member
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

blackrod

Active Member
There are about 3 or 4 major manufacterers which make about 90% of all chips, semiconductors, etc used in all home electricals. I think Hitachi is one of them.

Its wrong to say that Sony make Alba, Bush or Goodmans but thats not to say they don't contain some Sony parts.
 

GaryB

Well-known Member
la gran siete said:
My very first amp was an Alba which rather idiosyncratically looked like a keyboard
It was called something like the UA900 if my memory is working.
 

la gran siete

Well-known Member
GaryB said:
It was called something like the UA900 if my memory is working.
Yes something like that
 

Nick_UK

Banned
Idoexist said:
Too right. I had a Bush Area Hi-Fi amp in 1975 solid wood case, ali front, steel knobs and very heavy considering it's compact thin size. 20 watts RMS that with my Pioneer PL 112D and Denton 2 xp basted my uni room way louder than it had any right to with lovely clear detailed sound.
Ahh, they were the days of Rank-Bush-Murphy :D

I used to work for Rank Cintel in Ware, Herts, which was based next door to the Rank-Bush-Murphy factory, and we could get staff discounts on most of the products, and refurbed stuff could be had very cheap indeed. Happy days ! :D
 

Reiner

Active Member
I get the impression that Sony buys their cheap stuff from Goodmans, and not the other way around. ;)

But seriously, I think it's not uncommon that manufacturers source parts, mainboard, panels (plasma, LCD) etc. from others, not to mention OEM and ODM manufacturing.
Some products are merely rebadged, others are modified - let it be different software or also different hardware, from PCB components to bigger components/modules etc.
 

GaryB

Well-known Member
Mnay large manufacturers now get their cheaper products from OEM companies. Those same OEMs also supply the cheapo supermarket and other brands, often with slightly different versions. The larger manufacturers still put their support and other operations behind them in the same way as they do their own products.
 

Similar threads

Trending threads

Latest news

Google Home update leaves smart speakers dumb
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display posts Q3 losses of $377 million
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix reveals how viewing metrics determines a show's success
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Discovery launches dplay AVOD service in UK and Ireland
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus announces ONE Cast Smart Audio System
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom