1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony "magic gate" memory stick

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by millymol, Aug 27, 2004.

1. millymol

millymol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there
    my father has bought a sony dsc -w1 and needs to upgrade the memory stick for a long holiday with no download facility , the problem he has is related to the "magic gate" wording on the majority of memory sticks and memory stick pro's. the instruction manual wording is confusing and i wondered if any one can help.
    the manual states that "Data recording/playback that requires MagicGate functions cannot be performed with this camera" does this mean that if i buy a card with magic gate technology the magic gate stuff wont work, but the stick will still record images and videos (just not copyright them) - which is fine ! - the reason i ask is that i seem to find more memory sticks with the magic gate wording than any others...
    sorry if i've missed something really straightforward but would appreciate any advice before i buy the wrong thing ! :confused:

2. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know the magicgate sticks will work as a basic mem stick on cameras that dont support magicgate functions. I havent seen any of the normal 'non magicgate' cards for quite some time so assume the magicgate ones are simply replacing them.

3. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, I use the same camera and my memory stick pro is magic gate.

No problems.

4. maia

maia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Besides, all MS Pro are Magic Gate :thumbsup: