Sony LS60 Or Sony DX40??

hunkiemunkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am looking for a 28 WS TV and have narrowed it down to 2 choices.

Sony KV28LS60
Sony KV28DX40

The LS60 has 100Hz and 3 scarts (2 RGB) and the DX40 has 50Hz, and 2 scarts, but it has a built in digital tuner.

I am not convinced about 100Hz and I think it look unatural, but technically it is supposedly better. Pictures on 14" portables looks sharper and more natural then on a 100Hz screen to me. Maybe it is better if you set it up properly as I have only seen it in shops??

The DX40 is £50 more then the LS60

What does everybody think is the better choice?

Many Thanks

John:rolleyes: :eek:

DX40

Why - to watch BBC 1,2 ITV1,C4 C5 in widescreen and also get a few more channels free.

Also it is a 1 box solution

Sony DVB-T tuners are excellent best picture of my 3, better than neighbours Sky

Oh and RGB saved for your DVD

I am also torn between these two teles. Has anyone actually seen the two sets side by side (I have a load of crap shops near me so it is hard to see them in the flesh)? Would the best option be buying the LS60 then getting a freeview box seperate?

I'd say go for the DX40 mate, its close but I think it looks better than the LS60 and as you yourself stated, 100 hz is something of an aquired taste for a lot of people. It looks flawless on my dx100 if the source material is good but others may not agree.

All Sony Wegas are pretty much sound but the LS60's styling screams out 'Entry Level' and being restricted to 100hz only can be a problem if you find you dont like it....

Does the DX40 have any problems with Pioneer DVD players? Is it fine with Freeview? On the sony site it says that it has DNR but it says auto, can this not be turned off then? Does it have full control over the aspect ratio? Sorry about all the questions, but this will be the 4th tele I have had recently. All the others have been sent back.

You should be able to turn DNR off manually from the menu, but to be honest on my Sony on or off looks identical although off is suposed to improve the picture quality.

Full control over the aspect ratio? Yeah you should be able to switch from 4:3 to widescreen etc easily enough. I'd imaging the pioneer dvd player should be fine with any telly mate but as far as Freeview is concerned, I really dont know!

Originally posted by rogue
on or off looks identical although off is suposed to improve the picture quality
NR works for non-RGB sources only and the difference is staggering. The only thing its good for is analogue TV. When used with VCR input it looks awful - makes the images all soft, you lose sharpness.
Originally posted by rogue
I'd imaging the pioneer dvd player should be fine with any telly mate
Not quite. A few reported problems with a Panasonic model (I forget which) and the Sony LS60.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom