1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony losing new dvd format war

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Harj, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Heres the link,
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4053875.stm

I, for one am happy, as im sure Sony like Microsoft are in the bussiness of forcing others out of the running race and having a global control. Only the last few years i've thought this.

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    glad to see its been backed by Warners - they will be designing a case we all hate even as i write this. then they will be thinking of ways they can push out poor quality product (i.e flippers) for us to buy!

Gary

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So we won't see a mass roll out untill 2006 of HD-DVD:( Too Long.......... :rolleyes:

John

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll sit this next generation of media out and wait for the next one. Regular DVDs are just fine by me.

5. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    That story doesn’t quite tell the whole story, none of those mentioned studios has actually signed on any dotted line to force them onto only one format. If Blu-ray does take of there is nothing stopping them from publishing for both formats.

6. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a feeling these new HD formats will go the same way that DVDA/SACD appears to be going.

I seriously doubt that the public on mass will bother with it.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. There's got to be a significant reason for non-early-adopters to upgrade. CDs were a pretty significant step up from cassettes. DAT came along shortly afterward, and people just didn't bother with it.

If the major studios agreed en masse to stop shipping traditional DVDs as soon as the new format came out, they could force people to stop buying DVDs, but that's pretty risky.

8. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think when you have seen high Def in all its glory you may be swayed. I have just been comparing my LOTR DVD's to HDTV versions - absolutely no comarrison.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I agree, see it and you'll be convinced unless you are the kind of person who is happy with a £30 player - nothing wrong with that of course.

A big problem with SACD/DVD-A is the lack of marketing that is being done out side of classical music mags, and even then its hardly mentioned.

Another issue is that there are too many different formats all trying to ride the back off - multi-channel music, what with DTS & Dolby DVD versions of DVD-A/SACD players.

The final one is that you need a good system in order to get the most out of it, and if there are enough people who can't tell the difference between mp3 and cd, what chance does the new audio formats have?

Back on topic - as has already been mentioned, unless its an exclusive deal then its pretty worthless in the upcoming format war.

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm happy with my £30 dvd player, so looks like this is not for me.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    HD DVD has a lower capacity than BluRay - this is a big problem for the future

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    A lot of people are still watching their old 21" 4:3 TVs via RF and cheap scarts and so High Def will not be of any interest at all to them. If the manufacturers/film producers are not careful it would seem to me that it will go the same way as DVD-A/SACD and will only be of interest to a small minority of people like ourselves.

13. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    To be honest, I feel HD-DVD and Blu-ray will be this generations Laser Disc unless the equipment is super affordable.

Given the people who are watching £30 dvd players on there 10 year old tv's are they gonna upgrade if they have to get a new hi-def capable TV as well.

Is sony still gonna put Blu-Ray in the PS3? IF so, how many people who will buy the PS3 are still gonna connect, and watch films, via the yellow/white/red cable :suicide:

14. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The difference in quality and features won't be a huge leap from DVD like it was VHS and Joe Bloggs won't bother if it means having to buy a new and big TV to see a benefit.

15. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Current thinking has blu-ray in the PS3 and HD-DVD in the Xbox2, so expect them to be the inital entry point for the majority of consumers.

I'm convinced that the falling price of DVD players and the lack of margins on said players is playing a big part in the role out of the new formats. I know a lot of people don't see the point in spending the cash on an expensive player - but these won't be the people targetted in the first few years, the product will evolve and the price will drop, just like DVD. You are talking about 4/5 years before it becomes mass market like DVDs. Lower sales, higher margins are what they are after to begin with.

Obviously things like piracy and HDTV are also big influances on the roll out of blu-ray & HD-DVD.

16. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Indeed, it's one of the reasons I'm hoping it comes out on top against HD-DVD. Unfortunately it looks as though the 'cheap and cheerful' option may have more backers.

17. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    We saw the same thing with DD and DTS when DVD players where formulated.
    I think the same thing will happen with HD-DVD, you'll get one player that plays both formats. We the consumer will get what we are given, no one will win, no one will loose.

In five years time Plasmas will be in the main stream, CRTs will start to be fazzed out and all new Plasmas will be HD ready wether people want it or not.

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I consider myself a pretty mad film buff, one of the biggest I know. (not including these forums, of course) But even though I watch films every day, I still have a 4:3 CRT TV, a £30 DVD player, and a cheapo 5.1 sound system. Personally, I have no intention of re-buying any of my existing DVDs until the format is no longer readable, or the individual discs get damaged.

I've spent a lot of time (and money) rebuilding my video collection on DVD, just as many people rebought their album/cassette collection on CD.

I may not be the average AVForums reader, but I just don't think there will be enough early adopters for HD-DVD to catch on; not in the way DVD did. If the studios are willing to stick it out for the long haul, then sure, it'll replace DVD. But I don't see it happening overnight, and certainly not as fast as DVD uptake. (which was pretty fast, all things considered)

Remember, DVDs were a huge leap from videos. No rewinding, instant scene access, they don't degrade over time (usually), and of course the audio and video quality increase. HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray, whichever) has just one advantage: Better video. Will that be enough to sway the masses? I'm not so sure.

19. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    HD DVD is coming wether people want or need it or not, and the reason is Video Piracy. At the moment piracy is so common and all companies involve with the sale of DVDs are loosing millions. Every few years they have to reset the clock.

20. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    One advantage blue-ray will have is it will be recordable from day one

21. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Doesn't seem to be the thinking from the Japanese majors.

From the cutbacks in plasma manufacturing, the push toward bigger, better and cheaper LCDs and the unhappiness of the majors with the drawbacks of plasma technology, it could well go the way of the dodo within the next few years.

At least one manufacturer (Toshiba) has stated as much. And indeed they have no plasmas in their upcoming new range.

22. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, had to quote this. Film piracy isn't nearly at the levels of music piracy. And since we still haven't seen a sensible (non-partisan) study that proves piracy is negatively effecting music sales, I really don't see how you can say that it's costing these film companies millions.

Just because the MPAA puts out a press release saying that piracy costs them umpteen billion dollars, it doesn't mean it's true.

23. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    No one is asking you to re buy your current DVD collection again; both formats will be backward compatible with current DVD, no problems there.

I think people are looking back with rose tinted glasses when it come to how quick DVD players took to catch on. I remember seeing the first import players appearing in shops in London at the £1000 mark. Players and software (which was usually not OAR or anamorphic) were expensive.

HD DVD/Bluray has far more of an advantage then just better video, you get far greater storage capacity which also will allow even better sound (imagine lossless sound codecs), boxset cpuld shrink in size to just a few discs. I believe Sony have a prototype 3 and 4 layer Bluray disc. It will be a difficult path for HD in general but as broadcasters head towards HD material on our TV screens HD will invade our lives in a way DVD never could. Plus the prices for HD TV’s have fallen recently in the US, and when manufactures can go global with their products (like DVD players) productions costs will fall even further.

24. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that is format war is all that clear cut. Maybe a lot of major studios have backed hd - DVD but like what was said above you can bet that none of those studios have signed exclusive rights. I think they are backing one horse in the hope that it succeeds. Blu ray has an extensive back catalogue courtesy of Sony and MGM, which correct me if I'm wrong is bigger than all the other studios combined!

Because of this there is only one way this can end up besides neither format winning an this becoming the next laser disc. That way is dual format players. People will want films from every studio and the mass public aren't going to spend money on two players to get the films they want in HD technology!

Anyway unless you're willing to spend tons of cash upgrading to hi def screens, which most people will not then it is no point in upgrading.

THe thing is dvd can still get better aswell.

25. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Remeber a down coverted HD disc will still look very good on a regular res TV. And a universal player is a dead certain, like you said no ones to buy films from only certain studios.

26. Tojal City

Tojal City
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And you believe that HD-DVD will stop piracy?

Whatever the studios come up to, they will always break it.

27. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I remember as DVD's were emerging that people said they couldnt be copied... :laugh:

28. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    what happens in 2 years time whan they bring out hd-dvd and blu-ray rewriters for the pc?

29. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    also if they wanna do something about copied dvds they should go to the car boot by me , as there are about 5-10 stalls each taking so much money they need 5 people to serve on each stall , their takings must be thousands each week.

30. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    A new format will stop piracy for a few years. Dual layer DVD writers have only just come out for Joe public and its funny how the discs cost far too much to make it cost effective to make any money from it.

My girlfriend got a Pirate copy of Shrek2 on DVD before it was released, its a perfect copy and the cover. Why would she go out and buy the original? These corperate copies are from the DVD master so its only common sense that suggests for every one of these copies sold is a lost sale for the retailer and lost revenue for the studios, I don't need to see figues to work that one out. These corperate Pirates are big business and stripping Hollywood of millions.

I for one am against Pirate copies of any kind and all my DVDs are originals, for the record.