Sony Long Exposure Noise...grrrr

After some help / advice here as I'm a bit lost if I'm honest.

I've just moved to Sony as my D80 died last month so I thought as a couple of my friends shoot Alpha it would be a nice opportunity to change over so we can share lenses etc.

Anyhow I was out shooting some long exposures last and have just loaded them in Lightroom and I'm absolutely stunned with the amount of noise the shots have on them.

My old D80 never had anything like this amount on noise on long exposure shots so I'm wondering what the hell I've done wrong.

I shot RAW, with long exp noise reduction on using a remote trigger in full manual. All of the shots exhibit the same amount of noise regardless of what aperture or shutter speeds was used.

Here's a resized example. Its a straight RAW conversion with no other processing. Direct link for the full size JPEG here

DSC2185r.jpg

I'm really a fan of using aggressive NR on shots as I like to try a preserve detail but I'm going to have to with these shots.

Any help or advice offered would be very appreciated.

shotokan101

Banned
Did you try any with LE NR off for comparison?

Also are you sure that the NR is really performing worse than the D80 - don't forget that you've now got substantially higher res. shots ?

Jim

aldo82

does in camera noise reduction actually do anything on a RAW file? I'd assume not and you have to apply NR in post precessing. I could well be wrong though...

godsakes

is it just me or is there no/little actual noise grain on that photo? it just looks a tad soft/mushy on the sides

shotokan101

Banned
does in camera noise reduction actually do anything on a RAW file? I'd assume not and you have to apply NR in post precessing. I could well be wrong though...

It should affect RAW and it does kick in when shooting over 1 second on RAW if enabled :)

Jim

shotokan101

Banned
is it just me or is there no/little actual noise grain on that photo? it just looks a tad soft/mushy on the sides

That's partly why I asked whether it was maybe a pixel peeping issue at higher res image as it didn't look too bad to me either...

Jim

godsakes

Glad it's not just me Jim :)

to the op, with noise i tend to just play with the colour noise reduction in LR, images can still be grainy on a noisy image but it gets rid of the random colour noise (i.e. odd specks of red on a black background) which i find the most distracting. Overall I would favour a image which is a tad grainy over one which is a bit mushy from excessive luminance noise reduction

sneeks

What ISO did you shoot at? Not looking very noisy to me either.

shotokan101

Banned
What ISO did you shoot at? Not looking very noisy to me either.

Camera Maker: SONY
Camera Model: DSLR-A550
Image Date: 2011-11-22 19:46:27 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 24.0mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)
Aperture: f/25.0
Exposure Time: 87.000 s
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Caption: SONY DSC
Software: DSLR-A550 v1.00

:)

godsakes

f25! that might explain why I thought the image was a tad soft, diffraction must have kicked in a while back

sneeks

Also worth deactivating steadyshot for tripod mounted photos if you had not done so already?

It is very noisy but Id not considered disabling Steadyshot. I'll try without it on next time.

And shooting at F25 should not be the cause of any introduction of noise.

Ive shot as low as F32 on a 5 minute exposure and had less noise.

I think Ive found sime nice NR settings in lightroom so I'll what that results look like.

Calzor Suzay

And shooting at F25 should not be the cause of any introduction of noise.

The reference wasn't to noise but defraction, you're basically making the aperture so tiny when the light bends through it you end up with soft, out of focus looking edges to your photo. A larger aperture and using hyperfocal distance would probably bringer a sharper overall image but we're detracting from noise here :)

shotokan101

Banned
The reference wasn't to noise but defraction, you're basically making the aperture so tiny when the light bends through it you end up with soft, out of focus looking edges to your photo. A larger aperture and using hyperfocal distance would probably bringer a sharper overall image but we're detracting from noise here :)

...or alternatively adding to noise in the thread :D

eduk

Distinguished Member
Are you using LR exclusively? Have you tried running it through Sony IDC instead, just-in-case it's a LR thing/setting?

DSLR-A550 | Digital Imaging |

Last edited:

simonblue

Distinguished Member
Glad it's not just me Jim :)

to the op, with noise i tend to just play with the colour noise reduction in LR, images can still be grainy on a noisy image but it gets rid of the random colour noise (i.e. odd specks of red on a black background) which i find the most distracting. Overall I would favour a image which is a tad grainy over one which is a bit mushy from excessive luminance noise reduction

I was thinking the same,sometimes long exposure can bring up all sought of problems :)

Strobe

On a slight tangent, why with the photo posted, why were you shooting at F25 anyway? I usually work on the principal that working at night (low-light shots), you want to (a) keep the ISO as low as possible and (b) keep the aperture as open as possible. You have an ISO of 200 so that won't be the cause of the noise. If you had used an F-stop of F11-F13 and reduced the exposure time accordingly then any noise would have been much reduced (and you could still have achieved a long-enough shutter speed for the milky water effect). If you had been shooting in the daytime then F25 may have been appropriate if it was a bright day but at night in those conditions, I don't think so. Anyway, just thinking out loud ....

shotokan101

Banned
On a slight tangent, why with the photo posted, why were you shooting at F25 anyway? I usually work on the principal that working at night (low-light shots), you want to (a) keep the ISO as low as possible and (b) keep the aperture as open as possible. You have an ISO of 200 so that won't be the cause of the noise. If you had used an F-stop of F11-F13 and reduced the exposure time accordingly then any noise would have been much reduced (and you could still have achieved a long-enough shutter speed for the milky water effect). If you had been shooting in the daytime then F25 may have been appropriate if it was a bright day but at night in those conditions, I don't think so. Anyway, just thinking out loud ....

Whenever I see small aperture settings on night shots I just presume it's to get the star-diffraction effect on point light sources :)

Jim

The reason fir shooting at f25 was nothing other than a lens test tbh.

I have about 10 shots all at differing apertures but the noise level is the same.

Any its all a bit of a mute point atm because this happened yesterday

IMG_20111125_122228.jpg

Broke in 3 places and in need of an op.......***.!

shotokan101

Banned
The reason fir shooting at f25 was nothing other than a lens test tbh.

I have about 10 shots all at differing apertures but the noise level is the same.

Any its all a bit of a mute point atm because this happened yesterday

Broke in 3 places and in need of an op.......***.!

Ouch! - sorry to hear that :( - good luck with the Op.

Jim

eduk

Distinguished Member
There's all sorts of wrist jokes going through my head right now, but this is a family forum...

There's all sorts of wrist jokes going through my head right now, but this is a family forum...

I wish I'd been having as much fun as that but no I simply fell down the stairs like a proper idiot.

To make things worse, at the time fell down I was extracting the urine out of my wife. Guess that'll teach me!

shotokan101

Banned
I wish I'd been having as much fun as that but no I simply fell down the stairs like a proper idiot.

To make things worse, at the time fell down I was extracting the urine out of my wife. Guess that'll teach me!

Burn The Witch! :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers