Question Sony LED or Panasonic OLED?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Alphafighter, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    3 models I am considering now,
    sony x900e
    sony x930e
    panasonic Ez1000

i don't care much about dolby vision or speakers, i care more about color, black level and smoothness... i worry about burn in for oled... and tv will usually be turn on for 3-4 hrs...

for price comparison, 930e is about 1.27 times of x900e and Ez1000 is 1.52 times of x900e
    are the price differences justified?

i read somewhere that someone said x930e is too bright, and OLED is only good in dark room...
    so is x900e the best for me?

or should I wait for Panasonic Oled this year?

TV will be used for half movies and half normal TV contents

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Panasonic is best of the lot. OLED is fine in almost all circumstances. As for burn in, it’s only potentially an issue if you watch hours upon hours of stuff with static content.

It won’t go as bright as the others, but it’s far superior contrast makes up for that.

3. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    Generally things are priced at a point people will buy. So yes it is worth the money.

Only you can tell if you want to pay the extra though.

For colour the Panasonic would be my choice. Sony tv don’t have the best user interface IMHO. So try before you buy.
    Good luck with your purchase

4. BobTheViewer

BobTheViewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Why not stick the EZ952 on the list?

5. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Since the new Panasonic OLED FZ800 is coming out soon so last year EZ1000 is on sale now...if their prices are the same, which one should i get?? what is new about this year panasonic oled?

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    I know availability will be different for you but at least judging based on models available in the UK there are quite a few potential models you have missed from your shortlist, is there a reason you haven't considered the EZ952 for example? What about the LG B7 or C7?

The EZ952 is just as good as the EZ1000 apart from built in sound and a better anti reflection filter. It is not noticeably better because its a flagship model, actually you probably couldn't tell the difference between the EZ952 and the EZ1000 side by side.

If the price of the new FZ800 is the same as last years EZ1000 then that means either the new model is very overpriced compared to last years EZ952 or the EZ1000 has been reduced by a lot.

Can you give relative prices of each model in US dollars/EUR/Pound?

7. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    for panasonic,
    last year available model is 65EZ1000 ~ 3,600 USD
    this year model is 65FX800 ~ 2,500 USD
    OLED are yet to come...

A8 is out of my budget
    Sony 65x900E ~ 2,370 USD
    Sony 65X930E ~ 3,000 USD
    Sony 65x900F ~ 2,920 USD
    Sony 65A8F ~ 5,270 USD
    Sony 65A1 ~ 4,440 USD

Samsung
    Samsung Q9FN ~ 4,400 USD
    Samsung Q7FN ~ 3,230 USD

in Taiwan, Panasonic TVs have warranty of 3 years, all other brands (sony, LG, samsung) only 2 years, so with the risk of burn in for OLED, I will take the one with longer warranty

and since new models are out so last years model are on sale now...

I don't have an urgent need to get new tv right now, but if i buy next year I am most likely to get this year model....

8. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Also TV will be used for normal cable tv content (not 4k), and HDR movies (about half and half)
    When i watch movie I will have curtains down... (will x930e be too bright in this case?)

When watching movies, there are usually the black areas on top and bottom of the screen, if watching movies for 2hrs or so, will that cause burn in ??

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    @Alphafighter so no availability in Taiwan of the LG or Philips OLEDs?
    What about the Samsung Q8FN/Q8DN?

And no Panasonic EZ950/EZ952?

Do you mean the 65FX800 (LCD) or 65FZ800 (OLED) at this price?

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    Normal TV content isn't going to look fantastic on an UHD model, you will only get most benefit from UHD and HDR content. When you look at the usual quality of compressed TV channels, especially those that aren't HD yet they won't look good upscaled. HD quality channels will be okay generally, maybe a bit softer compared to a FHD TV.

No, HDR is designed to be up to 10,000 nits and the Sony only gets up to 1700 nits.
    No, it's not the shutting off of pixels that causes burn in but the stationary images of active pixels. You only need to worry with burn in if you have unusually odd viewing habits, for example you like to watch the news channel every morning for a few hours. News tickers and static logos are a problem, but not temporarily if you view something with stationary images a few times there is no problem, only with repeated viewing of the same content for lengthy period of time.

OLED burn in is no different to Plasma, in fact it occurs less now than it did then but the manufacturers will not cover burn in the warranty.

What model TV are you currently using and what sources are you going to use with the TV? I do not know the Asian market but do you have plans for things like an UHD Blu-Ray player, Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV etc ?

It is hard to know if the price cycle of TVs is the same there as here but usually the best time to buy a TV is to buy a model from the year before, so to buy a 2017 model after the 2018 TVs have just been released will often mean the 2017 model is the better value purchase. This may not be the case everywhere though.

11. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    We don't have Philips TV

For samsung Q8 we only have Q8CN ~ 3,810 USD

We don't have Panasonic EZ950/EZ952

Panasonic 65FX800 ~ 2,500 USD is the price of the IPS LED, don't know the price of OLED yet

LG65C8P ~ 4,370 USD

12. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    With usual TV content, am I going to benefit from Sony x930e for Upscaling?
    is Sony x930e going to do a better job than EZ1000 on normal TV content?

since the price difference between the two is only USD600 and I get 1 more year warranty for OLED, that's why I am considering Panasonic OLED...

If I am to get Sony, should I just get x900e instead?

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    I think a price difference of 600 is probably worth it for the Panasonic EZ1000. I do not think picture processing will be better on the one more than the another. It's more that the TV will be an uhd model than upscaling capabilities that matters with TV looking better.

Having said that isit very subjective and with both Sony or Panasonic it will be the best each company has to offer.

I do not understand why availability is so different. I guess the 2017 LGs just aren't available? They would normally be best value.

14. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    is there a lot of improvement for panasonic OLED this year compare to last year? do you think i should wait till next year to get this year model? or wait till next year to get q9fn?

15. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    There is little improvement but waiting is always better, it depends on price trending in your country too. If usually you cannot get high end TVs for lower than the EZ1000 is for sale at now then you know it's quite a good deal.

If it's the case that the year before 2016 models like the Panasonic DX902 and Samsung KS9500 were selling cheaper than the EZ1000 now then you may find it better to wait and swoop for the right deal on a 2018 model, especially if there should be more OLEDs entering the market.

I am not sure if its the same as in Europe but Hisense should be introducing an OLED too.

16. Alphafighter

Alphafighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Sir, I just realized that we have Philips OLED 873 here in taiwan, comparing this with Panasonic OLED FZ800, which one is better?? thanks

17. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    The 873 is the same as last years POS9002 and comes about even with the Panasonic FZ or EZ series. There are all very similar with different feature sets so its hard to rate one from the next.

The Panasonic's have been credited with good out the box accuracy whilst the Philips are good with motion. The Philips runs android if you prefer that, but to many that would be a burden.