Sony LED KD55XF9005BU for £649 or spend up to £1000 on an OLED?

VVasp

Novice Member
Hello,

The Sony 55 Inch KD55XF9005BU is currently in stock in Argos for only £649 which seems like a huge bargain. Should I buy this now or get a OLED/QLED? My budget is £1000 max but ideally would like to spend less.

Biggest issue is it only has a 1 year warranty when ideally I would like a 5 year warranty on a TV.

I would be using the TV mainly for gaming on the PS4 and then the PS5 when it's released later this year. My max screen size is 55 inches and I have a soundbar already. My room is quite light so would like a TV with great brightness and not too reflective. Going in the corner so viewing angles aren't a big issue.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
OLED's are not ideal for bright rooms and if you're doing a lot of gaming with HUD's and scorelines etc they're probably best avoided.

QLED is a marketing term by Samsung, it's still an LED TV like the Sony with a filter on the screen and some tweaks to the LED.

The Sony is a bargain, whether you can live with the 1-year warranty is up to you.

It was £1700 at launch.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
xF9005 all the way it's the best LCD you can buy for the money. OLEDs and bright room gaming don't mix well.

zubeir

xF9005 all the way it's the best LCD you can buy for the money. OLEDs and bright room gaming don't mix well.
Has the Android sluggishness gone with previous updates? And did it ever get the promised Dolby Vision update.

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Has the Android sluggishness gone with previous updates? And did it ever get the promised Dolby Vision update.

Android on Oreo has been spot on for a long time now, gone are the days of sluggish android on Sony sets. DV is also excellent apart from the odd issue but that's down to the providers now, such as Disney+ app where its awful, but that is them not the television.

zubeir

What are the main differences/benefits between the XF9005 & XG9505 models?

zubeir

Just getting my head around this. So there is an XF9005(2018), XG9005(2019), XG9505(2019).
I was looking to get the LG 65UN8500 from Currys, fancy spec, HDMI 2.1 etc, DV etc but thank @Dodgexander provided me with some good info about HDR. Tvs like these just won't cut it for HDR. My budget for a 65" is £900 max.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Just getting my head around this. So there is an XF9005(2018), XG9005(2019), XG9505(2019).
I was looking to get the LG 65UN8500 from Currys, fancy spec, HDMI 2.1 etc, DV etc but thank @Dodgexander provided me with some good info about HDR. Tvs like these just won't cut it for HDR. My budget for a 65" is £900 max.

Not quite right. It was XE9305 2017. 2018 the XF9005 sort of replaced the XE9305 but wasn't quite as good and carried on into 2020.

2019 the XG9505 was the upgrade to the XF9005 with the XG9005 being a lesser set to that and the XF9005.

The XF9005 and XG9505 are all selling out now and are being replaced by the XH9505. The XH9005 sits somewhere between the XG9005 and this year's XH95. I hope that makes sense.

I'd closely monitor Sony refurbs website as the 65 XG9505 come up for just around your price point and are much much better than the LG. But they sell out in hours and obviously won't have HDMI 2.1. I suppose it depends which is the most important picture quality and motion or 2.1 etc.

Dodgexander

You're looking at a refurb with that budget really. So the Sony shop will be the place to look. Its far more important investing in better display hardware than it is HDMI features.

To find a TV both with HDMI 2.1 and good display hardware for £900 you'd think about 2022 around spring time to find refurb 2021 stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom