• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SONY LCds

Monk888

My wife's Sony 26S2010 (our bedroom TV) developed a fault and JL allowed us to upgrade to a Sony KDL32V2000 as the TV was only < 3 months old

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the picture quality does get better after a few weeks??
Certainly this was the case with the Toshiba we once had, looked awful then after 2 weeks the picture quality improved and the picture jagedness seems to disappear.

We only got it Tuesday.

Teppic

Different people will give you different answers about the question of LCD's improving after a couple of weeks run-in. I can only speak for myself and the two LCD's i've owned, both of which improved with a little time. Indeed the second tv is still in the 'improving period' - not unlike yourself i bought a tv from John Lewis which had some faults and was given the option of changing to a different model (i chose the Sony 32V2000 too). I've had the tv since monday and can already see an improvement.

Some people claim that it's just people's eyes getting used to how an LCD displays pictures, and in the case of moving from being a long-time CRT owner there's probably some truth to that. It's also true that the constant tweaking you're likely to do in the first few days and weeks play a part in how picture quality improves. However, having now gone from an LCD which was owned for over a month to a new LCD where the same 'running-in' is happening, i personally have no doubt that it's true that LCD's improve during the first couple of weeks of being used.

dacco

mikepaul said:
My wife's Sony 26S2010 (our bedroom TV) developed a fault and JL allowed us to upgrade to a Sony KDL32V2000 as the TV was only < 3 months old

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the picture quality does get better after a few weeks??
Certainly this was the case with the Toshiba we once had, looked awful then after 2 weeks the picture quality improved and the picture jagedness seems to disappear.

We only got it Tuesday.

IMHO they do, my first LCD took about 20 hours of viewing to settle down. The second panel was pretty good out of the box. Not a fan of sOnY lcd's but I didn't find the picture too bad on these panels have you checked all the connections?.

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
I can conclusively state that the performance of an LCD does change over the first few hundred hours of use. I posted a thread on here a while with some measurements from a little Samsung LCD I have showing how much change there was.

HTH

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom