1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony LCD's & Wega Engine

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AJ23, Jul 7, 2004.

1. AJ23

AJ23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a 30"-32" LCD.

I've always had a preference for Sony design, but have been wary of buying up to now because of their poor reputation in this field. I'm also quite conscious that I would be choosing style over substance and paying a large premium for the privilege.

I was on the brink of buying a Philips 30" PF9946 when I heard about the new Wega Engine image enhancing technology from Sony. I've seen very favourable reviews for the new Sony KLV-26HG2 and the flagship KDL-32MRX1. Both commented that Wega Engine gave the Sony the edge over the competition.

Does anyone have any comments on TV's above or the Sony KLV-L32M1 which is probably the set I'm most interested in. Have Sony finally got it right with the Wega Engine or am I better off sticking with Philips?

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have found myself in a similar position. I went to London to see the 42mrx1 plasma and alongside it was the 42 lcd. Have to say, very impressed. Colours were rich and vibrant, couldln't see image lag (although I'm one of those who doesn't mind 100hz processing so what do I know about it!). Saw freeview and a few discs running on it and other than the fact that the screen setup was ridiculously bright (they had a demo showing white items in a white room and they were nearly all bleached out). Tweaked it a little and thought the image was very pleasing. Thought it lacked some of the tones that the plasma showed but on the whole, my wife and I both really liked the screen. Matter of fact, I'm still in her bad books because I haven't ordered one yet but I'm hanging on in the hope that JL will stock them so that I can get extra warranty.

There's a review of the 32 version in Home Cinema Choice and they seemed to like it. Yep, there's a premium to pay for Sony but that's down to individual choice: suffice to say that unless something better comes out in the meantime, I intend to get one around Christmas time.

Let me know if you go and see the 32 what you think of the picture in case I've overlooked something obviously wrong with it (other than the price!). Don't forget though, turn the backlight down if you can or take a pair of sunglasses with you.

3. AJ23

AJ23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback Reckless... I'm going to hunt down the 32" and take a closer look.

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just for your further information, I asked Sony to confirm the res on this screen as I've seen a few posts mentioning the 15:9 or 16:9 pixel ratio on lcd sets. It appears that the 32" is 1280x768 or 15:9 and the 42" is 1366x768 or 16:9.

Might not be of any consequence to you but just in case. Also, appreciate that you're primarily interested in the Sony but have to say that I saw the 32" Panny Vierra lcd today and that was quite nice. Again though, don't know why they do this but the level of brightness was liable to induce snowblindness in the unwary. I know they want to attract peoples attention but do they have to do so in such a way as to potentially turn those viewing into extras from Day of the Triffids? I only want to see anything that bright when I die.