1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony LCD TV Connected to Sky. Poor Quality

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gconway, Aug 28, 2005.

1. gconway

gconway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Sony KLV-L32M1 LCD. Got it home and connected it up to my DVD and my Sky Box. The DVD works fine and the picture is wuite good but the picture I get through my Sky box is terrible. It's blocky all the time, particularly on text on the screen which shows a kind of ghosting / shadows. No idea what the problem is and hoping someone can help.

Tried getting a new good quality Scart but that didn't work, and have tried talking to various sources all of which tell me different things.

Sky say that the TV is a 100Hz TV and the Sky box is only 50, that is causing the problem and there is nothing I can do about it. Retailer says this is wrong and it should work with Sky.

Has anyone had a similar problem adn has found out how to fix it? Considering just taking the TV back if I cant get it fixed or getting rid of Sky and just getting a freeview box.

Any ideas?????

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    With LCDs you have to get used to one thing; Garbage In = Garbage Out.

Sky is horrible for picture quality, overly compressing all its channels, many are actually worse than freeview. They do this to fit as many channels as they can. They excessively "edge-enhance" most channels, which makes the compression worse, and more noticeable.

Make sure you've got sharpness down at its lowest to begin with. All it does is exacerbate things.

What viewing distance are you at? For SD content on a 32" LCD you should be at least 8ft from the screen, unlike a CRT you cannot afford to go closer or you see the flaws much easier. DVDs are generally at least twice the bitrate, which is why it's not as much of a problem with them.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That's technically wrong, but Sky are actually along the right sort of lines. LCD TVs are Progressive Scan panels. The TV is having to deinterlace any incoming Interlaced Scan video so it can show it. I'll bet if you watch a film on Sky (if you get the channels) it will be a lot more bearable. Not that I'm saying that's the solution, but it should track down the problem.

4. gconway

gconway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I am currently viewing the screen from about 8-10 ft away and to be fair while watching a movie it didnt seem too bad but I dont know if that was just because i was watching it for a prolonged period of time.

I guess that the picture is always going to look like that then through the sky box and it is probably not a fault in the tv.

Would getting a good quality freeview box and getting rid of sky be a solution then? To be honest I was thinking of doing this anyway.

Another suggestion was to get a signal booster for sky but from your replies it sounds like that would not work either.