1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony LCD Television

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rcan58, Dec 25, 2002.

1. rcan58

rcan58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I am having a problem playing NTSC dvd's which I could play before.
    I have narrowed the fault to my TV set. (Sony KL_37W1U)
    When I play a dvd (ntsc) with the tv set to widescreen I get a black bar at the
    Bottom of the screen about 4-5 inch's high and a squeezed picture. But if it is
    A pal dvd no problem at all it plays ok.

I have now taken this set in for repair to a sony approved dealer who having had this set now for two weeks, know there is a fault on this set but at the moment are at a loss to put this right.
    I understand they have been in touch with sony but have yet to come up with a any
    Solution to this problem .

Anybody got any thought's on this

Equipment used
    Back Projection Television Sony KL_37W1U

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    rcan

Before I read that it was a problem with your tv set I would have thought it had something to do with your dvd. As a lot of people were complaining about the same thing with NTSC dvds not playing properly from rgb on their sets from pioneer dvd players but only on region 1 dvds. Maybe you should have tried a borrowed dvd player to see if it is actually the tv before you sent it to be repaired but not being able to solve the problems is very very strange since sony make the things and they have discovered the fault.

3. rcan58

rcan58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did try another dvd player with this set a ( Toshiba ) also the repairer
    Has tried a sony player all gave the same results so it must be the TV

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Ray:

It is difficult to know whether the TV (which has clearly developed some sort of fault) is having difficulty with either

a) the 525 line, and/or 60hz refresh rate of the NTSC signal

OR

b) the NTSC colour coding of the NTSC signal

Whilst on the face of it, the line/refresh structure is most likely to be the culprit, I gather from what you told me that, when fed with a signal from an NTSC VHS tape played back on a PAL VHS machine (which is most likely to be a pseudo-PAL aka PAL60 signal, rather than true NTSC) the TV behaved itself.

So, you could try setting the output on your DVD player to PAL, rather than 'auto'. This will then produce a PAL60 signal from NTSC discs, much like that from the VCR. And maybe, just maybe, it will solve the problem, without the expense of a TV repair.

On the other hand, it might be a combination of factors - eg. an NTSC signal PLUS macrovision - that the TV has decided not to like. For which the 'cure' is more complex.

Nigel