1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony LCD Service menus - COMPONENT NR OFF!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Sep 7, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Now as you know I swear by Sony LCDs, but I've always had a little colour smudging on my Component pictures. I just assumed that this was what Component was like and to eradicate this, I'd need to go and buy a set with HDMI. I assumed this little misfeature was being caused by the fact that Component is analogue in nature.

During normal use, the "Noise Reduction" option is hidden on your Sony LCD when you're using Component video. I assumed that it was always turned Off, because Component is a high quality format. Nope - it's always turned on and is degrading the picture. It's very hard to capture in pictures, but trust me - when you turn the NR function Off for the first time, you will right away notice the difference. Watercolour backgrounds in an animated film appeared to shift to the left and magically gain detail as the blurring was lifted for the first time.

Some screen grabs. This is from the Xbox Main Menu in 480p:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I probably don't have to tell you that the image on the right - the clearer one - is with the NR turned off!

Here's another picture, from the main menu of Halo 2. Note that the question mark always had a glow around it - but the NR expands the glow and pushes the colours out of their boundaries. Also, notice how the fine details on the map picture at the top of the image have been distorted by the NR.

[​IMG]

Here's the best part - the Noise Reduction *DOESN'T EVEN WORK*. I got my Xbox's main menu on and turned the brightness up to full so I could see noise that's normal on analogue video interfaces (just normally not too visible). Switching between NR on and NR off made NO DIFFERENCE to the noise at all - it just made things blurrier!

So anyway - here's how to turn off the NR! Thanks to Borabora from AgoraQuest Forum and AndrewFee from here for showing that someone had replied to my thread. This was done on my Sony KLV-26HG2. But I'll bet it works for all the Sony LCDs.

1. Turn off the TV.
    2. On the remote, press: I+, 5, Volume Up, POWER ON.

If the screen picture distorts or scrambles up for a second after you turn on, DON'T PANIC! In service mode, all of these little picture oddities are shown, but in Normal mode, it's normally covered up by a black screen. There's nothing wrong with your TV!

3. Press Menu and behold the two extra options - so THAT'S what the two blank boxes at the bottom are for! Switch to the Component input and turn NR Off in the Picture menu (the one you normally make changes to the picture in).

4. That's it! Remember, you'll need to turn it off for each mode - Personal, Vivid, Movie etc. Turn the TV off and on again (DON'T WORRY if it takes a few seconds for the LCD picture to appear on screen - that's normal!). Enjoy!

The guy who gave me this info warned me NOT TO TOUCH ANY OF THE OPTIONS IN THE LAST "SPECIAL" TAB. THEY CAN RENDER THE TV UNUSABLE. Only follow my instructions for deactiving the NR!

I'm so frickin' happy - a quality upgrade for an already fantastic LCD. Watching "Thirteen" (R2 version) is a joy, the fine texture of the film grain isn't scrambled out anymore - it actually looks like a proper 16mm film! The difference, though perhaps subtle, is huge. It's like having a new TV.

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I have to ask why Sony didn't just allow you you to turn off DNR from the menu in the first place? Why hide it away? I can turn DNR on and off with any input on my Samsung LCD!

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    It is very strange, but Sony are known for locking away features like this.

Looks like a great fix though. :D

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The Samsung's DNR wasn't even as bad as the Sony's. If I recall correctly it made almost no difference to the picture and left it alone for the most part.

5. psotfx

psotfx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange they hide it away in a service menu!