1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony LCD or Sony CRT?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DS9, Nov 28, 2004.

1. DS9

DS9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, new to the group today.

I've read many of the conversations on the Forum and found them invaluable help. I'm now at a cross roads as to which way to go and any advice and experiences would be very welcome.

I've had a Sony KV-S2952U 100HZ, for the past 8 years and have been very pleased with its picture quality and performance. However, it is now starting to show signs of its age - vertical lines appearing on the left side of the screen.

Now the big question; do I go for another CRT like the Sony KV-36HQ100, which has an absolute fantasic picture or go for new LCD technology like the Sony KDL-L32MRX1 / KDL-L42MRX1? As far as picture quality goes, the KV-36HQ100 beats both the LCD's hands down, however, the CRT will not support HDTV when it starts to be broadcast by Sky late in 2005. What I really need to see is the Sony LCD's in HDTV mode as I would hate to spend a lot on a CRT just to find that HDTV LCD blows the CRT completly out of the water when it's available. A real dilemia, as the Sony KV-36HQ100 is the far better picture compared to the Sony LCD's, but for how long??

I'm sure that I cannot be alone in this situation based on the fact that we are currently between the declining and well proven and trusted CRT technology and the development of new TV technologies like LCD and HDTV.

I know that there is probably no real answer to this question as it is very subjective and based to some degree on the unknown reality of what actualy materialises regards HDTV and these new TV technologies.

By the way does anyone know where you can see a simulated demonstration of HDTV in the UK?

What do others reckon?

Thanks

DS9

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Never liked LCD,got an HQ100 and the picture is great. Plasma's(Panasonic,although when i saw a Sony running next to a Panasonic the picture on the Sony looked better!!) or CRT would be my choice.

3. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the kv36FS76u, and I concur, the picture is far superior to any of the Plasmas and LCD's I looked at (properly set up ones at that!). HD TV is not here yet, so seize the day and enjoy!

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had the KV36FS76U prior to the HQ100,i thought the picture on that was good until the HQ100 arrived :) A step forward for CRT :)

5. DS9

DS9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Maki & DRGL

My mind is trully made up after seeing the KV-36HQ100 the other day.

The shop was playing a DVD movie that I have seen many times before on my exising Sony set - "The 5th Element". I could not believe how real and live the image looked on the KV-36HQ100. It looked like a live broadcast! What a set!

The only thing I need to insure now before buying it, is that it will fit in my living room?? On that note I discovered that Sony makes a 32" version - KV-32HQ100, but it looks as if it is only available in Europe and not the UK. Does anyone know if this is diffenitly the case, just in case the 36" set will not fit?

Thanks;

DS9

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Let me know what dimensions you would be OK with-i'll compare to my TV ;)

7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Comet are currently demo'ing HDTV on a Sagem rear-pro in a lot of their shops, and must admit the picture quality is great.

Don't know where you live, but the Sony Centre in West Nile Street in Glasgow are also demo'ing HD on a 32" LCD from a PC but are also having a STB installed to show the HD feed from the Euro1080 channel (although I'm not 100% sure that I have the right name for that channel)

Cheers,

Martin. :)