• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony LCD and Media PC HDMI Problem

S

spaniard

I have a media centre pc which I have built myself which is of a reasonably high spec, coupled to a Sony S series 40inch LCD Panel
Via the VGA input on the TV the picture is superb in HD, both 720 and 1080 but not quite as good as it was with my Pinnacle showcentre so I would like to use the HDMI input (as I've got a £100 interconnect!!!)
Folloing on from a previous post I was directed to a site that says my TV will not do 1:1 pixel mapping
I can get Media Centre to load ok after a bit of fiddling but cannot get any files to show up in theatertek, powerdvd or media player, just a blank screen
The desktop displays but is fuzzy and clearly not right
Can anyone help me to configure this setup or is my TV just not HDMI compatible and shall I revert to VGA (btw is the VGA really HD or am I imagining it)
Is there a supllier of high quality VGA interconnects anywhere online?
Many Thanks All

PeteD64

I thought the Sony S series did 1:1 mapping over VGA e.g. 1360x768. I'm sure I've seen pictures of someone who has the 26" version with it working.

With HDMI you're normally limited to what resolutions you can run & the set will probably apply overscan.

Yes VGA is capable of displaying HD & a lot more. I quite happily ran a 1600x1200 monitor with VGA for a while. There seems to be some confusion that HD is normally referred to as 720p or 1080i but with VGA we talk about HxV pixel resolutions such as 1280x720 so people think they aren't the same. If you use your PC to upscale 720p content to 1360x768 to ouput to your panel it's no less HD than sending 720p signals direct to the TV over HDMI & let that upscale it.

I had a discussion on here the other night with someone who wanted to use his PC to upscale DVDs to 720p to play on his 1366x768 monitor & I couldn't quite convince him it was better to upscale the output direct to 1366x768 in the PC rather than the intermediate 720p stage & then have the TV upscale a bit more.

S

spaniard

PeteD64 thats great answer thanks very much, I think the/my problem is that I mistakenly feel that as the TV has a HDMI input that it will give better quality, but you are right insofar as the picture I get via VGA does look very good at 1280x768. I assume from your reply I can wind it up still further, is that the case
I'll now for a high quality VGA and move on thanks very much
Phil

PeteD64

btw as I am getting a new graphics card, will a DVI to VGA cable work ok?
Sounds ok. My graphics card came with a DVI to VGA adapter so I just plugged a VGA cable into that.

I think the native resolution of your display is 1366x768 so ideally that's what you want to use. A new graphics card should give you the option of 1360x768 as standard. On my set that gives me 1:1 mapping with 3 pixel wide borders left & right. There's probably a way of increasing to 1366 using custom resolutions but I haven't bothered so far.

S

spaniard

Yes my mistake its 1366x768 not as I wrote earlier, I'll now move onto my next project and that's getting BBC HD to work via satellite, that should be fun!!!
Once again many thanks, hopefully I'll have enough experience to help others

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom