Sony LCD 40" TV - Which one should I get?

GuggaBump

Standard Member
First time poster!

So my folks are looking to purchase a TV before Christmas and I was asked to do some research. You guys turned up in a lot of Google searches so I hope you can help.

We've already narrowed it down to 40" in size and a LCD. Ideally we wanted a Panasonic but as they don't seem to sell 40" TV's our second choice was Sony which is what we currently have and we're happy with.

I've narrowed it down to 4 choices -

1. KDL-40EX401
2. KDL-40EX403U

The difference between the two seems to be that the 403 has freeview HD and the bravia engine 3 but has two fewer HDMI inputs. The freeview isn't a huge deal because we only use SKY but does the Bravia Engine 3 actually make a significant viewing impact?

3. KDL-40EX603
4. KDL-40NX703

These models have a backlight which I must admit I don't know too much about or how they impact viewing. The 703 model seems to be brand new and perhaps replaces the 603 model as it's heavily discounted in some UK retailers.

So two similar models with minor details separating them and then a bigger decision as to backlight or not.

Any advice and comments welcome!

GuggaBump

Standard Member
Follow-up to my initial post - I now realise the latter two are LED and not LCD. What does that mean and which is preferential for watching TV and the occasional hook-up to a video games system?

CaptainChaos85

cant help you on choice as im looking for a new tv myself, but LED is an LCD, just thinner and have edge lighting, theres mixed views on them..

TommyZ

I was going to go for a Sony or Panasonic but I spent many hours testing them and I found they had serious problems.

Samsung LE40C650 is the best 40" for watching TV and can it be had for about £600.

K

keybaud

I'm in a similar situation, but I can't decypher the model numbers to work out what each telly actually does. It's easy enough to narrow your choice down at a given shop, but they don't all carry the same range. It may be cheaper buying a better TV from a competitor, but I'd need to know what an EX has or doesn't have over a NX and HX and the same for 403, 503, 703, etc.

Anyone know a Sony TV model number translation engine? Before you reply, the Sony website isn't much use, as I've tried to fathom the numbering system from there already and failed miserably.

vickster

But the Sony website has a comparison feature where you can look at the 2 sets side by side. Or go to a Sony Centre and quiz them!

K

keybaud

But the Sony website has a comparison feature where you can look at the 2 sets side by side. Or go to a Sony Centre and quiz them!

The comparison feature didn't help with what I want, short of me cataloguing all the different models on a spreadsheet or database, which I don't have time for at the moment.

Sometimes the NX has the same features as the EX, sometimes it doesn't and the same is true for 401/501 etc...

Top Bottom