Sony launches UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray player at CES 2017

I've read elsewhere that the X800 won't have Dolby Vision. If true wouldn't the X800 designers have been wise to liase with the TV division as well as Sony Pictures.

Most usefull feature 2 HDMI inputs ? for the last three years Sony BD players do have 2 HDMI inputs, hope it also includes SACD.
According to the tech specs on Sony site it does support SACD:

"The ultimate disc drive
Want to dance around to your Super Audio CD collection? No problem. If it’s a disc, the UBP-X800 will almost certainly be able to play it."

I've read elsewhere that the X800 won't have Dolby Vision. If true wouldn't the X800 designers have been wise to liase with the TV division as well as Sony Pictures.

I'd seen that tweeted too. You'd think when given an illogical answer to a question like that you'd then follow it up with "well, why not?"... Hopefully it was an ill-informed PR rep. It's possible the player will have it via a firmware update as, curiously, the LG player like the Oppo is going to need it via a firmware, and it is looking as though the Sony TVs themselves this year will also get it as a firmware rather than have DV out of the box.

Hopefully we get some clarification today.

does this mean Sony will start issuing UHD disks? hopefully.

Thought this player was only available for custom home theater installers and not the general pubic...???

Thought this player was only available for custom home theater installers and not the general pubic...???

That's the X1000ES. This is a different general consumer/retail aimed model, so Sony will have two players this year.

That's the X1000ES. This is a different general consumer/retail aimed model, so Sony will have two players this year.

Thanks- yes I was confusing it with that previously announced player- thank you.

The second I buy a bloody panasonic, you make it really hard to support you Sony....

Ah well I need two players, right?

The second I buy a bloody panasonic, you make it really hard to support you Sony....

Ah well I need two players, right?

Might turn out the Panasonic is the better player anyway?

Wonder why a 4k spinner was omitted in the ps4 pro then?

To keep cost down probably. I was mad as I was all set to buy the PS4 Pro but now that 4K player prices are dropping it's no biggie.
Got the Samsung UBD-K8500 on Black Friday for approx 150 quid and the 2 new Panasonic 4K players I'm sure will be reasonably priced and help drag prices down further.
Now all we need is decent films on 4K discs and prices to fall on the discs too.

heh... Sony's main excuse for not adding 4K Bluray's to the ps4 pro was that they felt streaming was the way of the future, guess that was a fat lie after all.

It must've have twisted your gourd that Sony has adopted Dolby Vision for its TVs, I know it has mine! I'm still flabbergasted.
Sony hardware and sony software are not the same things.
They need to keep up

Might turn out the Panasonic is the better player anyway?
SACD, dvd audio and Sony's processing is more my thing tbh
But maybe

Sony hardware and sony software are not the same things.
They need to keep up
I didn't say they were, but given that you've made your feelings about Sony (love 'em) and about Dolby ("struggling for relevance", I believe it was) perfectly clear in the past I wondered how you felt about Sony going over to the dark side?

I didn't say they were, but given that you've made your feelings about Sony (love 'em) and about Dolby ("struggling for relevance", I believe it was) perfectly clear in the past I wondered how you felt about Sony going over to the dark side?
I was trying to say Sony hardware are on the darkside Sony software are not, Sony hardware needs to keep up.
For some reason OLEDs from lucky goldstar are eating their lunch besides the zd9 being the best TV on the market, and now supporting all the HDR formats

Last edited:

"The ultimate disc drive
Want to dance around to your Super Audio CD collection? No problem. If it’s a disc, the UBP-X800 will almost certainly be able to play it."

" Almost certainly " ?????

No it doesn't support Dolby Vision, which is incredible when you consider that Sony's latest TVs do!

"The ultimate disc drive
I don't think the player can play SACD disc, there was definitely no mention of this at the Sony stand, nor was the SACD logo on the player itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom