Sony launches UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray player at CES 2017

noticed somebody said us sony site says 10/12 bit. uk/Europe site only says 12 bit anybody can clarify this as I own a Samsung tv, is it going to work ok

So those with pre-orders what delivery date are you expecting.

Amazon say 1st April
Currys say 7th April
Superfi say 12th April
Sevenoaks say 12th April

Lee

Ordered from TPS, they said they hope to receive stock late March/early April.
Then they've got to mod it.
I'm off work from 7th till after Easter, so be nice to get it at some point then, if not before.

On my Amazon order it's now saying dispatching 31st March, delivery 1st April.

Lee

The Panasonics are only region free for dvd arent they and not blu-ray. Not that's much to do with the Sony player. [emoji16]

As TPS are being mentioned for potential purchases of the MR Sony player it's a valid post in my book.

Messaged tps twice now regarding Panasonic MR and had diddly squat reply :rolleyes:
Same, it seems they're ignoring all queries about the matter. It appears as if hardware mods aren't frowned upon, nor is the handset hack for MR DVD, but the magic hacked firmware for MR BD (which applies to most/all of their Uniphier models, so basically the best ones :() is a no-no.

After buying two lots of the firmware from those guys I'd be happy to give them what is essentially free money for sending out a tweaked bit of code on a CD-R, but they've clammed up completely. Perhaps it's not due to pressure from Panasonic and they've fallen out with the guys who did the hacked firmware in the first place (whose name I will not utter here).

I heard from a source that they fell out with the guys who did the firmware.

Players don't need to support Atmos/DTS-X as such. They pass as bitstream signals over HDMI as standard. I wouldn't worry about that.

Universal, Warner and Lionsgate have committed to Dolby Vision UHD disc releases this year, though there's still no timetable as to when the first discs will arrive. Recent news that DV can be added to any device as a software solution does increase chances of its support growing in future. Hopefully it will be added to the Sony, especially since their flagship televisions will support it this year (...yet Sony pictures was not one of the studios to announce DV support for UHD Blu-ray. One day all divisions within the company will align).
It appears as if the UHDs of Despicable Me 1 & 2 will be the first Dolby Vision discs from Universal: Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - List of UHDs with Dolby Vision

It appears as if the UHDs of Despicable Me 1 & 2 will be the first Dolby Vision discs from Universal: Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - List of UHDs with Dolby Vision

News of DV enabled discs arriving sooner than I expected does make me think twice about the Sony somewhat, especially having picked up an LG E6 last week which I am delighted with. Knowing it is limited (compared to contemporary LED panels) when it comes to peak brightness and not spectacular when ti comes to tone mapping may render Dolby Vision titles beneficial, but I'm uneasy about the Oppo and it seemingly being so sensitive with disc playback.

News of DV enabled discs arriving sooner than I expected does make me think twice about the Sony somewhat, especially having picked up an LG E6 last week which I am delighted with. Knowing it is limited (compared to contemporary LED panels) when it comes to peak brightness and not spectacular when ti comes to tone mapping may render Dolby Vision titles beneficial, but I'm uneasy about the Oppo and it seemingly being so sensitive with disc playback.
There's always the LG player. Personally I think the Sony is using the MediaTek SoC so a DV upgrade is technically possible, the problem is whether Sony want to do it, given this ridiculous discord that exists between their various departments.

There's always the LG player. Personally I think the Sony is using the MediaTek SoC so a DV upgrade is technically possible, the problem is whether Sony want to do it, given this ridiculous discord that exists between their various departments.

Yes, it's certainly been in the back of my mind that the Sony could do DV, but history tells me it's not a company with which to expect consistency between all their departments. Their top end TVs will support it, their player won't and Sony Pictures having not pledged support for DV on disc is all just so very.... Sony. I'm still puzzled as to what even prompted them to adopt it for their top end TVs.

The LG player is not an option for me as I really wan't to be covered for multi-region playback for DVD and Blu-ray and have no desire to have a BD player alongside a separate machine just for UHDs. I'm genuinely surprised at the issues the Oppo has, and that people are still seeing freezes after three months. I have faith Oppo will address things, but there's still that sense of frustration of handing over £650, buying the MR mod for another £60, and wondering whether what you're about to sit down, relax and watch is going to playback without a hitch or not.

Amazon have revised the release date from the 1st April to 7th April. :(

Lee

Yes, it's certainly been in the back of my mind that the Sony could do DV, but history tells me it's not a company with which to expect consistency between all their departments. Their top end TVs will support it, their player won't and Sony Pictures having not pledged support for DV on disc is all just so very.... Sony. I'm still puzzled as to what even prompted them to adopt it for their top end TVs.

The LG player is not an option for me as I really wan't to be covered for multi-region playback for DVD and Blu-ray and have no desire to have a BD player alongside a separate machine just for UHDs. I'm genuinely surprised at the issues the Oppo has, and that people are still seeing freezes after three months. I have faith Oppo will address things, but there's still that sense of frustration of handing over £650, buying the MR mod for another £60, and wondering whether what you're about to sit down, relax and watch is going to playback without a hitch or not.
It's been an absolute pleasure to have had that on the Panasonic 900. There have been teething troubles for sure, like the Atmos/TrueHD dropouts at the start and the more recent lip sync drift on certain discs, but in the main it just works! OPPO's is a custom machine in many aspects so they've got to keep on plugging away until such time as they've stopped up the dam.

Well considering TPS are sourcing their mod kits from here
Blu-Ray & DVD Multiregion - Multiregionmagic The Home Of Multi Region UHD 4K, Blu-Ray & DVD
It's a question who gets the job done first and who is first with stock.

I was thinking about buying the bdp-s6700 from them, but decided to wait for this ubp-x800 to become available. Already own the bdp-s6500, but a recent string of asian 3d blu-ray is forcing me into getting a multi zone machine, so might as well pay a little more and get on the uhd band wagon. Anyone know if this is going to be made region free using the ICOS moding kits? Also, am I correct in assuming that with an ICOS modification the player is still able to accept original firmware and maintain the region free capability?
I'm sure this player will be getting a ton of new firmware in the coming months to weed out any bugs.

I was told by TPS it is the icos mod, and my current sony blu-ray player updates firmware fine, and is still multi-region, does default to region A/1 quite a bit, but not a big problem to change back.

I was told by TPS it is the icos mod, and my current sony blu-ray player updates firmware fine, and is still multi-region, does default to region A/1 quite a bit, but not a big problem to change back.

I'm going to assume then that your player is originally an zone A for blu-ray since it defaults to it. I want to get a zone B just in case something happens and it loses the multi zone capability so at least I'll be stuck with zone B. I plan on getting mine from mrmdvd here in the uk, assuming they use the uk machine for the mod.

Can i ask you how you change the zone on yours?

Yes, my current player is originally region A. Though i hope to get a region B X800.
When player is of, press 1 on remote then power on, player wakes up region 1/A, press 2 for B etc.

Yes, my current player is originally region A. Though i hope to get a region B X800.
When player is of, press 1 on remote then power on, player wakes up region 1/A, press 2 for B etc.

Emailed tps to ask the origion of the base player for the modding. Since it comes with a copy of Inferno on uhd, I'm inclined to believe it is a zone b machine, but better to ask.

Tought about buying the region free bdp-s6700 to replace my bdp-s6500 but decided to go for this one not only for the uhd player, but also for the 4k upscaling which I'm hoping will put my current tv upscaling in a corner.

I had it on order from TPS, but have had to put it on the back burner for a few weeks as got a deal on a 65 inch oled i couldn't pass up. This player will be the final piece of the puzzle.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom