Sony launches new BRAVIA 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV range at CES

Doesn't seem to be a big improvement on the 2016 range, slightly better backlight, DV & pseudo HDR enhancement on the top of the range, no mention of HLG, I'm not sure that thinner = better either. Time (& reviews) will tell.

Does that mean the Z9 remains the top end LCD or is it being replaced by the A1 OLED? Disappointed not to see the CLED resurface!

Doesn't seem to be a big improvement on the 2016 range, slightly better backlight, DV & pseudo HDR enhancement on the top of the range, no mention of HLG, I'm not sure that thinner = better either. Time (& reviews) will tell.
Thinner definately means worse both in construction & sound,will the new sets be more stable, I still have to reboot my XD93 quite often and much prefer Freesat to Freeview .

Thinner definately means worse both in construction & sound,will the new sets be more stable, I still have to reboot my XD93 quite often and much prefer Freesat to Freeview .
We'll probably see even more bent panels on this range, 65 + inches & thinner than a lot of mobile phones doesn't seem like a good idea.
I seldom have to reboot my XD93, but the E Range will be Android 6 or even 7, so maybe more stable.

@Ed Selley Mr Selley, there is an inconsistency in the second paragraph of your news. The second paragraph begins "The XE93 and XE94 models utilise the latest version of Sony's edge LED backlight" but then in the next line down you say "The 75 inch XE94 features a full array LED backlight". So, which is it? Is the XE94 edge-lit or full-array backlit?

The new Sony OLED doesn't do 3D, but is there any slight chance that these 4K Bravia models do 3D? I do realise that I'm in a minority, but with none of the new televisions being announced from any manufacturer (not even Sony, LG and Panasonic, who did 3D televisions in 2016) carrying 3D, then my next television purchase will be one of the 3D 2016 models, which if I continue waiting may become cheaper by about March or April.

It's good to see the DV support. Hopefully the format will become more widespread now, with more displays being compatible.

Does that mean the Z9 remains the top end LCD or is it being replaced by the A1 OLED? Disappointed not to see the CLED resurface!

ZD9 is still the lead model for the LCD range, and may be updated later in the year.

If you look at the way Sony have their 2017 TVs listed (all are up on their website) then the Z9 sits at the top of the food chain, followed by the OLEDs, then the X933/X94D. Since the Z came out later in the year in 2016 I'd expect it may well be updated around the time of IFA in September. It's still going to be their premium for being able to deliver both very high peak brightness and excellent black performance (the OLEDs will fall short with the former in comparison), which I suspect is why Sony rank it as their highest end TV.

If the x94e can solve the smearing issues of the d it could be a contender. Also interested if they have dropped 3d support on these as well?

If the x94e can solve the smearing issues of the d it could be a contender. Also interested if they have dropped 3d support on these as well?

There's currently no mention as to whether they support FreeviewHD on their product page, but I doubt they've dropped support for that too. Their marketing team is more focused on telling us how pretty the new sets look and that they do 4K HDR.

I'd be more interested to know if they've upped the spec on whatever CPU & RAM they're trying to run the AndroidTV OS on; their previous efforts have been buggy, slow and unresponsive :(

The tv industry has already said that as far as 3D support and materiel is concerned the format is dead, HDR is now the main focus so I would be surprised if any manufacturers offer it on their range this year.

@Ed Selley Mr Selley, there is an inconsistency in the second paragraph of your news. The second paragraph begins "The XE93 and XE94 models utilise the latest version of Sony's edge LED backlight" but then in the next line down you say "The 75 inch XE94 features a full array LED backlight". So, which is it? Is the XE94 edge-lit or full-array backlit?

The new Sony OLED doesn't do 3D, but is there any slight chance that these 4K Bravia models do 3D? I do realise that I'm in a minority, but with none of the new televisions being announced from any manufacturer (not even Sony, LG and Panasonic, who did 3D televisions in 2016) carrying 3D, then my next television purchase will be one of the 3D 2016 models, which if I continue waiting may become cheaper by about March or April.

The XE93 and XE94 models utilise the edge backlight with the exception of the 75" XE94 which uses an FALD backlight.

The tv industry has already said that as far as 3D support and materiel is concerned the format is dead, HDR is now the main focus so I would be surprised if any manufacturers offer it on their range this year.

Some manufacturers have dropped support for 3D in 2016 and made official policy statements to that effect. Other manufacturers continue to support 3D as well as the new(!) 4K HDR format.

Sony was one of the manufacturers who continued to support 3D in their 2016 range, so it's a reasonable question to ask if they support 3D in their 2017 range of TVs.

We shall have to wait and see until the full feature lists / specifications are announced as to which (if any) of the new range of Sony TVs support 3D.

As to 3D being "dead", that is a rather contentious and divisive subject that is really not worth getting into here; 3D films are still being produced by the major studios, are shown on general release in cinemas, are readily available to purchase/rent on BluRay and watch on Sky (via their on demand service).

As to 3D being "dead", that is a rather contentious and divisive subject that is really not worth getting into here; 3D films are still being produced by the major studios, are shown on general release in cinemas, are readily available to purchase/rent on BluRay and watch on Sky (via their on demand service).

3D is not dead but it certainly has not took off in the home to the extent the TV companies envisioned so it is inevitable that they will now be looking for other selling points. I'm not surprised really, there is a world of difference between 3D in a cinema and in the home. I understand some people like 3D TVs but to me unless the image is large enough that is takes up most of your field of vision (something that is very hard to achieve with a TV without getting a headache) it can look fake and gimmicky. Maybe 3D fans need to be thinking about getting a projector in the future as I am sure that the 3D format is here to stay for movies.

I predicted 3D would die, would not be suprised if 4K and ridiculous Atmos etc went as well

Some manufacturers have dropped support for 3D in 2016 and made official policy statements to that effect. Other manufacturers continue to support 3D as well as the new(!) 4K HDR format.

Sony was one of the manufacturers who continued to support 3D in their 2016 range, so it's a reasonable question to ask if they support 3D in their 2017 range of TVs.

We shall have to wait and see until the full feature lists / specifications are announced as to which (if any) of the new range of Sony TVs support 3D.

Well I'm only going by what the likes of Samsung and LG and some producers/tech experts have said in regards to the continued support for the format. 3D in the home has decreased and it's seen as mainly being a draw in cinemas only hence the lack of suppport. How many sets will support it on their 2017 range remains to be seen but I would guess it will only be on top end sets and the quality and performance won't be all that great.

That's just a typo Ken, I've corrected it. As for 3D, it looks like Sony have dropped it as well but I'll double check when I see them today.

3D is not dead but it certainly has not took off in the home to the extent the TV companies envisioned so it is inevitable that they will now be looking for other selling points. I'm not surprised really, there is a world of difference between 3D in a cinema and in the home. I understand some people like 3D TVs but to me unless the image is large enough that is takes up most of your field of vision (something that is very hard to achieve with a TV without getting a headache) it can look fake and gimmicky. Maybe 3D fans need to be thinking about getting a projector in the future as I am sure that the 3D format is here to stay for movies.
I agree that for 3D on a television, the bigger the better. The first 3D television that I had was my recently-(a week ago) departed LG 60PZ950T, a 60-inch model.

would the XE93 be the tv to go for over the samsung qled series? dolby vision seems promising, doesn't the sony have dimmable zones like FALD tv's with its backlight drive tech?

90% of my content would be 4k hdr, so it basically comes down to higher brightness and better colours on the samsung to dolby vision and possibly better black levels on the sony. which one would be best?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom