Sony launch new high-end 4K Ultra Short Throw Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hodg100, Jan 9, 2018.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,455
    2. linnasak

linnasak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +74
      Any sign of dolby vision projectors yet?

Kevin

3. charker

charker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
      Xiaomi Mi 1080p laser projector, throws 150 inch picture from 50cm away. Laser lasts 32 years with average use. Looks like it's brighter too

OK, it may not be the last word in picture quality, although YouTube reviews are very positive, I have yet to see a serious review but it puts in context that these 4k prices are crazy.

4. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,797
      You'd need a Dolby vision standard for projectors before any of them start to appear... ;)

5. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,797
      Really? Do cheap 1080p DLP units (which you can buy for £400) make the pricing on true home cinema grade 1080p projectors crazy? Unless you'd compared them you might think so, but the reality is they are miles apart.

The Xiaomi isn't that cheap compared to other 4K DLP when you factor in the import duty etc. It only seems cheaper in the UK because all the sellers who are selling it are listing USD ex TAX pricing.

6. charker

charker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
      I assume you meant 2K DLP machines

I own a JVC RS4910U so I know there's a difference. But JVC say the £30k price tags are due to new technology like laser light sources, Sony too make similar claims about their short throw 4k machine. So, makes them look a bit silly on my view unless this machine had horrendous colour reproduction. Tempted to buy one to find out. Great little projector for just dropping on a table in any room, and portable too, with reasonable sound and makes little noise. The user reviews are pretty complimentary

7. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,797
      No, I mean 1080p, which is what they have always been called (until the advent of 4K which has trickled down the 2K name).

I think we need to wait for the real AV world to start reviewing these - I've not seen any reviews yet from veterans. I'm not particularly interested in what the Youtube media (much of which are effectively subsidised by GB etc via free product etc) have to has about it.

I can't see why it makes them look silly. If you accept that within any market there are players at the top, bottom and middle, making different price product which has the same (or perhaps worse on paper) headline features for more money. There are different business models out there that cater for Dacia, Kia, Toyota, Lexus and Ferrari. They've all got 4 wheels and go from A to B.

I've often had the argument that I'd sell twice as much of something if I halved the price. The reality is usually that to halve the price you'd have to kill your retail channel's margin (probably making them not want to stock you anymore), make it a different product, invest millions in further R&D, get huge financial backing to scale up manufacturing and then sell 100 times as many to make the same profit.

Sony and JVC have established models for their lamp projectors. All their lamp projectors are much more expensive than the Xiaomi, let alone their laser (which is a new tech to them). So comparing their laser to the Xiaomi doesn't make much sense when you can't even compare the lamp units. Something else gives here.

Take the 4K vs FauxK debate.

I think that we haven't seen any "entry level" 4K JVC units in the face of constant criticism from many about true 4K not being available probably means that there are factors we're just not understanding and are not public. Like, for example, perhaps it is very difficult for JVC to get enough panels out of their 4K process to make it economical.

We already know they can't get the native panel contrast they get out of their current 1080p units. Perhaps this isn't due to laser, and is due to the makeup of the 4K panel. Maybe they have small 4K lamp based units in their R&D now and they just don't perform without the laser being able to offer laser dimming to boost contrast.

Likewise, Epson, who also make their own panels, have not been able to bring a 4K unit to market yet.

On the face of it it would seem MUCH simpler to just have 4k panels and send 4k to them, rather than all the effort in this pixel shifting shenanigans, so you have to ask why all these manufacturers don't. Maybe they're just round the corner, who knows.

But what do I know. Maybe the Xiaomi is some magical unicorn which will slay the 50 kilo JVC laser. It would be nice for the market if it were true, and would certainly be a kick in the backside. But until the units are in the hands of people who've seen these in action we should reserve judgement :). Anyway, interesting time for consumers, more choice can only be good.

8. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      I'm getting one of these bargains for the bedroom ....................or maybe not

9. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +413
      I quite like this. It seems a neat way to get big screen entertainment into your living room without all the hassle of a full AV set up or having huge TV on the wall. It would be interesting to see how it performs in ambient light though as it is unlikely to be used in a dedicated room.

Not that I could ever afford one, mind you.

10. Roku2

Roku2
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,487
      Just purchased one (Xiaomi) for $1839. To me the draw was:
      1. Ultra Shiot Throw
      2. Full HD with 4K downscaling
      3. Laser
      4. Overall good reputation of Xiaomi's products by people who actually use them and rave about their quality

11. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +166
      I suspect that black levels will be one area where the Sony is a significant step up over the Xiaomi. Historically the only DLP's with decent black levels have been those with a dynamic iris, which (to my knowledge) the Xiaomi doesn't have. For those with the money, true 4K, better blacks, and (I suspect) a better sound system may be worth the premium. YMMV.

12. Roku2

Roku2
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,487
      I had a Sony 45 prior to switching to UST Xiaomi, and black level was ok. I also own a 4K Oled tv with perfect blacks, and as much as 55" to 65" Oleds deliver such deep blacks and high contrast ratio, they lack that silver screen cinema feel that 100"-130" projection delivers.
      For $1839 I will be happy if blacks are at least comparable to my Sony 45.

13. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +166
      Given the relative technologies (DLP vs LCOS), I would be a bit surprised if your old Sony wasn't capable of significantly better blacks than the Xiaomi in a suitably light-controlled room. However, it looks like you have mostly white/light surfaces in your room, so you probably weren't getting the best out of the Sony anyway, and that may mean the difference between the two is minimal (in your setup).

To optimize black-levels and contrast performance, I imagine an ambient light rejecting screen is being recommended for installations with this new Sony UST, as it's clearly being targeted at living room installations where light control will be an issue.

14. Roku2

Roku2
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,487
      To be honest, the blacks produced by Sony were more or less comparable to those of an mid-range LED tv, which is totally fine by me. I always keep room dark most of the time, and as long as I get Full HD and decent contrast ratio I am happy. Projection adds a sense of immersion that my 55" Oled TV cannot offer. My Atmos surround sound does the rest in order to create the best cinema experience I can afford.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018