1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony l32m1? any other reccs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nick270881, Feb 21, 2005.

1. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi I am new to this so sorry if i sound a bit uneducated!

I am going to buy a new flat screen tv but dont know what to look for really, currently using a 28' sony 100hz crt set, but alas 100 hz on a sony causes picture problems with my sky+ box!

saw the sony l32m1 in comet the other day alongside the philips 37pf9946

have to say, the philips looked stunning as a picture quality compared to the sony, and the sony was running a dvd rather than their rf feed but reading these pages, everyone seems to slate the philips.

Any suggestions on what I should be buying, anyone got the sony or philips and got any feedback. It will be used mainly with sky+ and a ps2 for dvds
    I have up to £1800 to spend so any other models to suggest (28' minimum size)?

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I don't think everyone's slating the Philips it's just that more people have bought the Philips rather than the Sony so it makes sense that there would be more threads about their particular models.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    What sort of problems?...are you just referring to picture quality? In which case I doubt that it will improve with an LCD which is very susceptible to poor quality feeds

4. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    fuzziness around the edges of players when watching football and pixelation on the image when the colours change or there is lots going on.
    I work for sky and it is a known problem with some 100hz tvs, to do with the compression rates being very similar.

5. colinbarber

colinbarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is Sky's poor bandwidth. You may find the picture worse on an LCD compared to CRT with these poor quality broadcasts.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    This normally suggests you have the sharpness up too high.

You may want to try a calibration disk such as DVE to help you get the best picture. My brother has a 100hz Sony TV and the pciture is good with football.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Firstly, the Philips 37" 9946 is a Plasma, and I'm not aware how good it is in comparison with other plasmas. The reason it looked good in the shop is probably because Plasmas tend to blend their pictures rather more than than LCD's and are therefore more flattering to poor signals. LCD's show what they get! Rubbish source-rubbish picture....generally. I say generally, as some LCD's are really good at extracting decent pictures from poor feeds.

The ubiquitous Philips 32PF9986 is the current champ when it comes to this.
    The reason you think this TV seems to suffer more problems than any other is that this is the TV that a lot of folks are buying having done their homework! There is a tremendous amount of information now available on here regarding this TV and it is now possible to set this thing up really finely, enabling it to produce utterly staggering results....

Jimmy