1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KVFQ80 or FX66

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PaulBrum, Apr 15, 2003.

1. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Help required???

I'm in a quandry about which TV to purchase. Do I go for a Sony FQ80, or the FX66. I use Sky digital, watch a lot of footie and films. The room it will be in is average size (about 8 x 8m) and i am purchasing a DAVS 550 MR DVD / Home Cinema system to go with it) My queries are:

1. Is the FQ80 really worth about 500 quid more (the only real difference I can see is the separate pic in pic tuner and a nicer stand)

2. The Sony website suggests that the FX66 is a mid range piece of kit, whereas the FQ80 is top end - what does this mean picture wise? (assuming the sound will be the same using the DAVS 550) does the fact that they are both 100mhz mean that the pic will be the same

3. Have the problems with Sony build quality (I've read the threads, buzzing, distotion etc) been sorted (esp. with the FQ80)

4. The cheapest i can find either is FX66 - £969 (PRCDirect.co.uk) and FQ80 - £1,350 (dvdplayers.co.uk) inclusive of VAT and delivery, anyone seen cheaper, or had experience with these suppliers?

Any advice would really be appreciated.

By the way, the DAVS 550MR system is £329.88 at prcdirect - by far the cheapest I've seen it

Paul

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    PaulBrum

I was considering sony and philips but when I saw the jvc 32d25 with dist technology It blew them all out of the water and the set is stunning looks wise, I cant believe people say it is ugly.

The picture quality on progressive scan is almost cinema quality and this tv is of the very few that accepts both. I think it is also cheaper than the fq80. I saw that one in the shop as well and the picture is very sharp but I would check out the jvc if I was you.

evans

one note though about this tv is that although dvd is stunning and the features lik pip and pap are great is that unless you feed it a decent tv signal you are not going to get a good picture and i think it is because it is high definition and any poor signals really show up on this tv.

3. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    apparently the fx66 is hard to come by and has been replaced with the fq70 this is same as fx66 but enhanced picture technology and in the fq80 casing

4. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah I see - I wondered what the FQ70 was - how do you get on with yours, would you recommend it?, how does it compare to the FQ80?

5. Christ

Christ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Basically the FQ70 looses out on DRC and a memory stick reader compared to the FQ80, oh and £450!!

6. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Overall, I am happy with it - very little Sony buzz good quality picture and looks fantastic.

I had a FX66 prior and swapped for this model due to the buzzing - I feel the picture has been improved (sharper) and has definatly improved when watching rugby and football (although a lot of flicker during the masters.)

I would recommend this set as Sony seemed to have addressed some earlier flaws (unless I have just been lucky(we will see))

The problem is the men who delivered it snapped the front flap when ripping it out of the box so I have a new tv arriving saturday. Lets hope this doesn't buzz and maintains this high standard.

7. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so, it sounds like the FQ70 might be a winner - whats DRC and do I need it. Not interested in the memory stick reader tho, so not a problem.

Were did you buy it from ?

8. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Blimey !! just spent 2 hours reading through the various links, trying to make my mind up on which TV to go for.

I'm now more confused than ever !!!!!!

FQ80 with buzzing noise and dodgy picture, FQ70 (FX66 replacement - why does the sony website not mention this??) without memory stick and DRC or do I go for a Loewe (but will my DAVs550 integrate with it ok) and pay the extra for a bloody stand!!!!

One thing that amazes me, I'm gonna spend between 1,000 and 1,500 on a new tele - and they all seem to have some sort of problem - whats all that about ??!!??

9. mmm

mmm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    FQ80 is a lovely machine. but it *can* come with problems :(

depends if you have money to burn and time to waste (just incase there is a problem!!)

10. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have the FQ80 and love it !

Beats my old PB50 to a pulp

I find it great for DVD , sports ,sky and RF !

can't think of anymore sources other than console ,but I play on a proper games machine (PC)

LOL !!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers - the FQ80 MMmmmm - looks a great machine, but what exactly am I getting for my extra £400 other than memory stick slot (which I wont use) and DNS (which i dont think is a problem as i wil be using the Davs550)

Confused of Brum !!??!!

Paul

12. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just got the Sony shop in Birmingham City Centre to price match PRC Direct on a KV32FQ70 for £950 including VAT & delivery

How good is that ??

Will throw in a multiregion chipped DAVs550 for £1,350 (can get these cheaper off the net by about 50 quid, but worth the extra for a main dealer methinks)

Not a bad deal that

Any comments anyone???

Paul

13. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds price matched digital-point.co.uk on the DAV 550 Multi-region for £309 - picked it up there and then. - cracking unit!!! Also 3 yr warranty for £30, money back if not used.

On the FQ70 try getting John Lewis to match the £950 and get the 5yr warranty free.

Let me know as I'm looking at the same system.

14. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sounds a good deal!! Like the idea of main dealer (it worked a treat for me and the FX66!) JL got price match and 5 yr warrenty. Yep you can get cheaper but it comes down to what floats your boat...... If you are happy be happy. Be more concerned if it buzzes.

15. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the PIP work on the FQ70?

For example can I watch SKY on AV1 and get terrestial BBC 1 on the PIP?

Is it side by side and adjustable in size like on the FQ75?

16. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it the FQ70 only has one tuner so can only display one terrestial channel at a time.

As the AV connections are independent then they could be displayed together. It sort of makes 2 tuners redundant as most people use the AV feeds rather than RF.

It'll be interesting to see the delay between the same terrestrial and Sky or cable channel using PIP. Will try that when I decide what to get....FQ70 is top at the mo.

17. Clio172

Clio172

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are spending up to 1500, why not go for 36" - i got my 36fs76 from JL edinburgh for £1424 - hugely impressed by it, my back will never be the same again though after trying to lift it !!

18. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The FQ80 also has 1 extra SCART, which can be very useful. I'm considering it myself (my FX60 is being replaced by my insurance company after an encounter with a floor!!).

19. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, the dy has finally arrived - going into town lunchtime to order the FQ70 and DAVS550 MR from Sony.

Tried it on at JL, but they were having none of it "we dont match internet offers" etc, best they could offer was a grand for the TV and about 450 for the davs - and neither were in stock.

Gonna see what else the Sony shop will knock off today - hey, who knows - but worth a try !!!!!!!, will also tell him I dont wan't a 'Buzzer' :)

Will Keep you updated

20. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Done it - even got the £30 delivery charge knocked off :) tried for a couple of nice scart leads as well, but he wasn't having any of it !!!! - but if you don't try...........

Davs550 gets sent off today to be chipped and they will both be delivered next week.

Will let you know whether i get a 'buzzer' or not !!

P

21. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is the official Sony price for the FQ70?

and what about the new KD32DX150?

22. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony Centre Middlesbrough is £1150 for the FQ70
    John Lewis and Miller Brothers is £1199.

PaulBrum tho' got his for £950

PS Compare the FQ70 to the Philips 32WP8527 with pixel plus.
    My feelings are that P+ (in demo mode) shows how bad the standard Philips is.

I think the FQ70 beats the 8527 hands down in picture quality and looks hands down. This is something I can't understand as the P+ is touted as the best picture ever.

23. static

static

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree the FQ70 looks the dogs nuts in the flesh,shame they didnt stick component and progressive scan on it too,that would have been something else:)