Sony KV36HS20 36" TV pictures issues

O

Obsidian

I’m having issues with my 36-inch direct-view Sony television.

I’m getting ghosting on any and all composite video inputs regardless of cable quality. I can best describe the picture as a chalk drawing that someone smeared to the right. It’s tolerable but highly annoying.

When I play DVDs the picture is flawless because I’m running that through the component video inputs on the back of the TV.

I just wanted suggestions on what I might do to resolve this issue. I’ve tried $50 3-foot video cables and they have no effect. It’s not just one source or one input either. I have most of the video sources connected directly to the TV instead of going through the “monitor” output of my receiver. All the component video signals are crystal clear and crisp. All the composite inputs are crap.

I purchased an RCA to S-Video adaptor to try out next. I suspect that due to the television being High-Scan that maybe the composite connections are put through a different comb filter or line doublers of some sort? That’s my theory anyhow. The signal is being handled different at any rate ...

Any service/calibration places that I’ve called about this issue have been reluctant to say they can fix it. One shop even suspected I have a broken TV, yet the DVD playback is flawless. (The PlayStation2 – also through component video is equally flawless.)

Any ideas? I’m grasping at straws here.

erm............this is my first post on these forums so go easy on me ;) Shirley composite video images are very poor by nature when compared to component anyway? maybe I'm missing the point but it seems that you are expecting a composite image to comapre to a component one?

They arent even in the same league dude.

Very poor quality and bad ghosting are totally different things in this case. I don’t expect to get DVD-quality images from a cable box or any composite video signal, but I don’t expect that it will have fuzzy illegable text either. I’ve seen the images my VCR can put out, they are relatively great on my 20” Sony, but when I put them on the 36” unit they're crap.

Thanks, but you’re not addressing the question that I’m asking. That was my first post too
:)

I also have a Sony set, a KV32 FX60B.

I also notice that text and edges look "fuzzy" in composite, I always just assumed it was an intrinsic defficiency.

I appreciate your help, but I purchased this set at the same time as 2 of my coworkers and they don’t have the “chalk drawing that someone smeared to the right” – effect that I initially described. Sorry that I didn’t repeat myself in my second post, I didn’t think I’d need to.

This is more than fuzzy text or one ghost image. It’s like an Adobe Photoshop smudge of any and all images on the screen about 1 inch to the right. The initial image is there, but it’s smeared.

Is that what you get on your television?

Hi all,
I am having a similar type of problem. Suddenly the picture in full screen mode and the Left panel (in twin picture mode/PIP) is smeared. The picture on the right panel (in twin picture mode/PIP) is fine. I have tried reset, hard reset, dis-connecting all connections and re-connecting etc. This has not helped resolve the problem.

Does anybody have any ideas for solving this problem?

Thanks,
Manny

Hi

I hope the peoples responses helped, but you may get better help if you use a USA ($) based forum.
This forum is mainly used by people in the UK.

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom