1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony kv36fs76u colour stain

Discussion in 'TVs' started by yetti, Jul 17, 2003.

1. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just purchased a sony kv36fs76u tv, while i was using the thx settup on the T2 disc i noticed the bottom right hand corner had a yellow stain on a pure white screen this is evident no matter what the source. i have tried all the usual (moving electronic equipment etc and nothing makes a difference. has anyone had this problem and had it cured or is it something i am going to have to live with. also i am not very happy with dark scenes it just seems too dark. any ideas would be great.

thanks

yetti

2. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a purity problem in the top left corner of my 3rd FS76. I tried moving speakers, calling out the engineers and even moving the tv (my back is still recovering)!!

I eventually got the set swapped for that and other faults. Fourth set is near perfect (touch wood!).

Regards

Tom

3. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks tommo i think i will have to call an engineer. just a quick question- how do you find the picture during dark scenes i am finding that a lot af detail is lost and i dont really want to turn the contrast/brightness up any more.

thanks

yetti

4. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first set had a major problem with dark scenes. But I got this changed mainly because it kept turning itself off!!

My 2nd had a serious fault in displaying any sort of picture. My third (and current set) didn't/doesn't display this problem. I have my contrast and brightness turned quite low. From my unfortunate experience with this model I have found if the FS76 has a fault there is normally more than one. Sounds like you may need to get yours swapped.

Goodluck

Tom

5. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first fs76 has a stain in the top left hand corner and didnt display RGB, my second suffered from major gemoetry faults, and after a VERY protracted correspondence with Sound & Vision, whos subcontracted 'engineers' deemed my TV's geometry "within the manufacturers specifications", (i had to get one of Sound & Visions own floor staff round my house to show him, he couldnt believe how bad it was when he saw it...), i FINALLY after 3 sets have a great TV which im happy with.

*rant over with...*

6. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks tommo/manuman i will call unbeatable tomorrow, i wonder what sort of response i will get?

7. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yetti

Just remember that you have paid a hell of a lot of money for you t.v. You need to be saying bought it from Unbeatable because of the excellent customer service you have heard about. Ultimately the set goes back to Sony, stamp your feet and you should get sorted and thats assuming they cause a problem which hopefully they wont.

Must admit though my first set was bought from Empire Direct. I waited four months for a replacement!!!! Eventually went to House of fraser. Paid £200 more but they have changed two sets without any complaints (although the sets were so bad they couldn't complain) and I have a 5 year warranty which you just cannot beat for peace of mind. I would recommend HOF without hesitation.

Regards

Tom

8. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice tommo, unbeatable collecting on monday for inspection and hopefully dispatching a new tv i will be amazed if they do. also with reference to your earlier post i have started to notice more faults- watching ice age with my daughter i noticed random horizontal white lines flashing across the screen and this is evident on all sources but does tend to come and go (it will probably go when they are inspecting though) .

cheers

yetti

9. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't matter if the engineers cannot see the faults as long as you can. The fact is most engineers will see more faults than you can. The 2nd lot I had round were happy to get it swapped and were pointing faults out left right and centre, I was amazed!!

Goodluck

Tom

10. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a good point, both faults have been driving me up the wall because i know they are there. I will post later in the week after they inspect the tv.

cheers

yetti

11. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    new tv arrived friday morning but the driver lifted it out on its side. Set up on saturday morning tv failed to switch on, red standby light flashing. Arranged collection for monday ,driver arrived and told me there was no way he was going to attempt to lift or move the tv so i would have to make other arrangements, made arrangements for tuesday morning same driver turned up and took the tv????????? So maybe it will be third time lucky?

12. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Re: colour staining

Try turning the contrast down. Set this too high you'll get purity problems once the TV has been on for a while. IIRC one of the Sony picture presets called 'Live' I think sets the contrast to about 95%, which is bound to cause staining problems on bright screens.

Setting contrast that high will cause problems on just about any widescreen tv.

Just a suggestion :)

John

13. yetti

yetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the settings i had were:- contrast 65%,brightness 50% and colour 40% these were setup using the THX setup on Terminator 2 dvd, any deviation from these settings made the picture too bright/dark etc. Makes me wonder who at sony decided the settings in 'live','movie' were acceptable unless they had sunglasses on at the time.

cheers
    yetti