1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV36FS76 Question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by smescrater, Nov 17, 2003.

1. smescrater

smescrater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

long time reader, first time poster ;)

I've got a Sony FS76 as in the message header, and I got lucky first time out of the box, didn't spot any geometry errors and the picture quality has always been superb.

What I have noticed though is an edge-enhancement type effect around dark objects, especially when they're against light backgrounds. There seems to be a very slight halo around these objects. I've tweaked with the settings but can't seem to get rid of it completely. Can anyone recommend anything?

Secondly, I've noticed an odd effect with the contrast, when watching any source (Sky, DVD etc) if there's a light-object (bender's teeth on futurama are a good one for this) the area of the screen to the left and right of this light object lightens up considerably. it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's very annoying as you can imagine.

Anyone any ideas what the story is with these two effects?

Thanks in Advance,

Smes.

2. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I had this tv too for 2 weeks, then I returned it for the very problems you discribe.

The 'personal' picture gave the problems but could be rectified using other picture settings such as 'movie'.

The only problem then was that you can't adjust the picture sharpness etc. when in these modes. I found these presets were too dark.

The only good things about this set is the 4 scarts and the picture in picture effects.

Oh yes, the bloody thing weighs an absolute ton too!!!!!!

3. smescrater

smescrater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pug72,

thanks for the reply, I'll try that tonight.

Do you know if this is a fault with the TV itself, or just a Sony "thing"? I've had the TV for quite a while now and find it's absolutely marvelous bar these two effects. I'm not quite at the returning it stage, but I am hopeful I can tweak it to do what I want.

Cheers,

Smes.

4. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's a Sony thing.

Hope you find a setting to your liking.

I just found that with the preset picture settings, the darks were too dark and the lights were too bright.

The personal settings problems are really noticable when the sky 'search and scan' banner is displayed.

Another thing I noticed was the contrast flickering.
    This was most noticable on DVD's and the Xbox. The green menu screen on Ghost Recon(xbox) really flickered badly.

I'm probably THE fussiest person when it comes to tv picture quality, so after paying £1300 I expected more.

Hope it turns out good for you though.

5. wibble

wibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The halo effect you see in personnal mode is the sets SVM (scanning velocity modulation ) "feature" The only mode it is not present in is movie mode but I do not like the contrast setting. I use game mode, there is is still some SVM present, but it is very minimal. What I did not like was the lack of any control over brightness and colour, both set too high for me. I went into service mode and reduced both of these to a more acceptable level. I use a Marantz RC5000 learning remote with a macro to notch up the contrast 2 points on switch on as the set does not remmber this setting when it is switched off.:hiya:

6. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If all the settings were adjustable in all modes, it would make it a much better set.

That 'SVM' thing sucks big time.

7. wibble

wibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Totally agree, Who are Sony to decide what we are or are not capable of adjusting. If I buy a set , I expect to be able to adjust it to my personnal prefernces regardless of what mode it is in. After all, it will be me, not some factory technician who will be viewing the picture :mad: