1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV36FS76 owners

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tommo24, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am proud to say that I have now registered and also own the above television. HOWEVER, a week after delivery from Empire Direct is began to turn a blood red colour and turn itself off.

I AM STILL waiting for Empire to replace the television although a manager is being helpful once I contacted RETRA.

However, I am now paranoid about this television and have seen other posts detailing faults. A lot seem to relate to convergence. I am a newbie, in brief what is convergence?

My tv seems to have a poor picture quality but I believe this to be due to my areas bad reception. I also can see a very faint (2" wide) darker area that runs top to bottom of the tv screen on the left side. I can only see this when the picture id dark. Is this yet another sign of a bad tv?

Of note, the Sony guys who came out to look at the tv to confirm a fault groaned when they saw it had been made in Spain. Said they see more faults in tvs from Spain!?

If Empire do not replace my tv next week I am getting a refund and ordering this tv from JLewis. How best should I go about requesting a price match? Anyone gone down an order via John Lewis?

Basically, calling all owners of the KV36FS76. Please give me the low down on your television. Pros and cons. I love the tv, I just want one that works. Not much to ask surely??

I look forward to learning alot from this board.

Kind regards and Happy New Year!!

Tom

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    A simple explanation would be the misalignment of the red,green and blue electron guns failing to land at the correct place on the tube.This would produce convergance errors which will be noticable as sort of blured colours on the screen if you run a set up disc,most noticable in fine detail around the edges of the screen.

3. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a FS76 owner, mine is great picture-wise, geometry, convergence, focus etc. all fantastic. I setup and checked with the Platinum setup DVD.

oh, and BTW mines made in Spain too.

Matt.

4. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where do you get platinum dvd?
    cheers

5. Isidro_Jose

Isidro_Jose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have similar problems with Sony 36" FQ80 also made in Spain (Colured areas, Loud Buzz, Bad aerial signal reception), They offer me a replacament but I prefered a refund so now I am thinking in a Loewe or a Pioneer Plasma set.
    I think that the sets from Sony made in Spain do not pass any quality check, so it is the end user who makes this work and who suffer the problems of th sets with faults.

6. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    gooner265, most DVD retailers.

Matt.

7. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The dark bar going down the left side of the TV sounds like a classic symptom of ghosting caused by your bad reception.

8. Isidro_Jose

Isidro_Jose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably the Sony faults problems sets are all for bad recepcion signal. I have my set packed in the dinning room so If you like WSH I can send you very cheap.

9. gw1mcd

gw1mcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello . I have owned my KV36FS76 since 26/10/02,and to date am very happy with it. picture quality and purity is A1. Lets hope it stays that way. Alan.

10. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just to say I have a set now that seems faultless and I too hope it stays that way. I would add that IMHO the set is one of the nicest looking on the market just now. I think the colour is just right, not too bright to be trendy so it will stand the test of time. I do not think this is necessarily intentional looking at some other Sony's but just happens to be so. It is a good solid set designed as a TV for someone who wants a TV. :p