1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV36FS76 + DAV-S880 Advice?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chart, Mar 16, 2003.

1. chart

chart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Sorry for the long post. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I'm considering buying a new telly and home theatre kit, and I'd appreciate some advice please.

<preamble>

A few months back, I couldn't have told you the difference between CRT and rear projection, I thought that an amp was a unit of current, and I only found out that my 14" Monaural Combi had a scart socket when I tried to connect up my Xbox. But since then, technophile friends have (unsuccessfully most of the way) been trying to get me to improve my AV setup. At first, they tried to get me to buy some "high-end" equipment, but I've decided against this based upon reading some fairly critical remarks about high-end systems in general and about Bose particularly. Unconfirmed rumours suggest that my bank balance might have had something to do with it as well. I decided to look for something that fairs better in the price-performance stakes.

Since then, I've been stumbling around websites, looking at technical specs of tellies and home theatre kits, totally failing to understand them, hoping to find something that meets most of my requirements. This just about brings us up to date...

</preamble>

Initially drawn to them by appearances, I've just started considering the possibilty of a Sony KV36FS76 and DAV-S880. I'd also want to connect my Xbox and Gamecube up, leaving room for the probable addition of a Freeview box or similar.

1) I've seen the KV36FS76 listed variously as the KV36FS76TNS (Sony's website), the plain KV36FS76, KV36FS76U, KV36FS76S, and KV36FS76TNS.U. Are these different models? If so, what's the difference?

2) Possibly related to the above: I'm having a hard time finding complete and accurate specs for the KV36FS76. Particularly, the ambiguity is whether it has 3 SCART sockets or 4, how many of those are RGB, and whether or not it includes two analogue tuners. Does anybody know?

3) I know that the DAV-S880 is a fairly closed unit with little room to upgrade.
    a) How long are the provided speaker leads, since I'm unlikely to be able to buy my own?
    b) Could somebody just confirm that I can connect three external audio sources to the thing (one digital, two analogue)?
    c) It only seems to have two composite video inputs (and nothing else), so would I run the video from my Xbox/Gamecube through the DAVS-880, or could it go straight to the telly?
    d) Is there such a thing as an "optical switch", which would allow me to connect more than one external digital audio source in the same way you can switch SCART or RF signals?

4) techtronics.com sells the KV36FS76 and DAV-S880 plus an SVideo->SCART converter for the DAV-S880 for ~£2200. Is this a good price? Has anybody used techtronics.com before? Would you recommend another retailer?

5) I'd appreciate your opinions of the KV36FS76 and DAV-S880, particularly from those who own them. I've read some of the previous posts about them from this forum, and I see one or two of you have had problems with them, but would you buy something else if you could make the decision again? Would I be better off spending my money on different kit?

6) Should I go for separates instead of the DAV-S880? I'm intending this kit for my bedroom, so my thinking is that with a bed in there, there won't be that much room. I like the style of the DAV-S880, and I like that the speaker cables can be hidden fairly well.

Many thanks,
    --Tim.

PS: Be kind in the face of my ignorance. I still don't understand this AV lark.

2. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1, No, they are the same model, i think the end letter(s) are just the countries prefix kvfs76u = Uk

2, 4 Scart sockets, 2 are RGB and yes the TV has twin analogue tuners.

*skips to 5 as i dont own a DAVS*

5, Im very happy with my FS76, altho i do have an issue that will be resolved this week (hopefully) with it not displaying RGB images. Using SVideo provides superb picture quality, watched The Bourne Identity last night and was quite taken aback at the visual quality on offer, so no i wouldnt buy another TV.

My mate owns a DAVs 500 and its a good unit if you dont have space for anything bigger.

3. chart

chart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Manuman.

What's the RGB problem? Is it something that affects all FS76s, a compability problem with other equipment, or just a fault?

Thanks,
    --Tim.

4. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a fault on my TV, everything else is fine.

5. Phandaal

Phandaal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    For prices take a look at this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72408