1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KV36FS70 Quality Control!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by P157232, Dec 18, 2001.

1. P157232

P157232

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been wanting a widescreen TV for quite some time now and finally got executive 'sign-off' from my missus this month.

Despite reading other threads detailing problems encountered with the Sony KV36FS70, with fingers crossed I ordered one from Jones of Oakwood for £1795 on Monday, 11th December.

It was delivered yesterday and was shocked to find all the signs of the set not being in factory condition: no trinitron sticker on the tube, fingerprints all over the set and the mains cable in a tangled mess. All the documentation and the remote was properly sealed.

Trying hard not to get too flustered, I proceeded to build the TV stand and get the 200lb monster on to its stand. Once in place, I fired it up and everything was fine!

That is until 7:00pm in the evening after being on for about four hours - it decided to give up the ghost and it dropped into standby mode with the LED flashing eight times repeatedly. Tried to switch it on but I would just get the sound and no picture before the set shut back down into standby mode.

I was utterly devasted and the kids were gutted. I limped to bed awaiting to contact the dealer in the morning. Things weren't looking too good - no TV this christmas I thought!

I contacted the dealer first thing in the morning who I have to say were first class - they were very understanding and have arranged for another set to be delivered before christmas this Saturday afternoon.

It would appear that Sony's Quality Control is something of an after thought, perhaps leaving the QC to the customer to save on cost! How can Sony let their flagship analogue CRT be shipped in this condition? Do the company realise what they are doing to reputation?

2. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    SONY t.v's are never shipped in this way. What you discovered is a classic case of the dealer re-packaging up a used model and trying to get away with the fact that either it has been serviced / previously been in a customer's home.

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you search the forums, you will see that someone else had the same problem. In fact after refusing to accept the tv, he was sent a further two in exactly the same condition as you describe.

It was a few weeks ago I read that thread, I seem to remember that it was Sony who were sending out the dodgy sets.

If you take the time and trouble to carry out the search, you will find it makes interesting reading.

4. P157232

P157232

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got delivery of the replacement for the Sony KV-36FS70 this morning. Still no Trinitron Sticker on the tube and the state of the tube was all covered in dust and marks.

Guess what? Well, I no longer have the standby problem (although it has only been on for ten minutes) - I actually get a picture to watch but the it would be hard to call it watchable. I made the delivery men wait so that I could check it before they left. I made sure that they wrote the problems down on the delivery document that will be returned.

I now have varying colours arond the sides of the screen (green tinges and yellow tinges) along with terrible geometry problems.

If I get the teletext up, the text slopes off to the side and the colour on the text varies across the screen. When using the twelve screen capture facility, the boxes are not rectangular.

I'm still in disbelief that a set could be shipped in this condition. Do Sony think that they can get away with the abysmal Quality Control? Perhaps they hope that the customer will not notice!

Just been in touch with the service centre at Jones of Oakwood and left a message as they are closed today. I will be picking the problem up with them first thing on Christmas Eve!

I'm now in a bit of a quandry - How many sets do I need to take delivery of before I get one that works?. Don't really know if I should just get my money back and consider something different instead. From the look of this forum, all 36 inch sets seem to have their fair share of problems. I didn't really want to go for a RP TV.

5. P157232

P157232

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to get through to Jones of Oakwood on the 24th December. They were surprised that I was having trouble with my second set. They offered to send a service engineer to degauss the set - I declined as this would have only got rid of the coulour staining and not the geometry problems. Call me old fashoined, but I think that the set should work properly when first used. Unfortunately Jones did not have any more FS70s in stock so I have been stuck with my set over Christmas. They have promised to contact me as soon as they get some new sets in stock.

The majority of the colour staining has now faded - I can only assume that the TV must have been stored close to some strong magnetic fields in the warehouse.

The geometry is still bad though. I do not get straight horizontal or vertical lines - they seem to bend at the edges. This obviously affects the Picture And Picture and Multi-PAP, but is worst on Teletext. The blocks of colour are anything but rectangular. I have also noticed that the text, especially in the left hand corner goes in and out of focus.

Does any body else have any of these problems? Am I just fusy? What is an acceptable level for geometry on a TV like this?

When Jones get some more in stock, I intend to change this for another Sony KV-36FS70 and hope that the third time I will be lucky! But what to do when the third set also suffers from similar problems? I really want to keep my widescreen TV, but do not feel that I should put up with the afore mentioned problems.

I'm massively dissapointed with Sony. I feel that I might have to draft a letter to have a bit of a moan about their Quality Control.

6. Berisford

Berisford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    P157232 writes:

"I'm massively dissapointed with Sony. I feel that I might have to draft a letter to have a bit of a moan about their Quality Control."

Don't kid yourself mate, Sony wouldn't even bother to shred it!

Sony customer services are.............................................................
    ........................................................................................................
    ....................no, it's not worth it.

My wife tells me I must not get wound up about the fact Sony have my £1300 and I have a dodgy telly.

BJ Notts

7. basharat

basharat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys should have bought the hitachi c32wf535n -superb pic and sound!!
    No Problems at all, these days sony products are going downhill - I know they have the styling but the quality control is rubbish!! My cd player gave up after a few months!!

8. The Guru

The Guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a philips 28PW6515 and thought you might be cheered by the fact that you are not the only person to suffer over chrimbo with a dodgy set. Like yourself I feel that the TV should come in pristine condition. I am now on my third delivery of the stand which is scratched and dented everytime. I have bad geometry problems aswell and a goldfishbowl effect on the right of the screen. i shall be getting a service engineer out if and when I get a satisfactory stand. Philips Sony they all seem to have problems.

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Join the club.. I had 6.. Yes 6 FS70s from 2 different suppliers (including John Lewis) and all were in the condition that you described.

Highlights:

1. No stickers on screen
    2. Fingerprints on screen
    3. Dust on chassis
    4. Marks on Chassis
    5. Mains cables bundled up

I kept on demanding replacements until I got a 'new' one until finally I decided that this must be 'new'

I don't know what Sony are doing.. But they certaintly arn't shipping the FS70 in what I would describe as "factory condition".

I wonder if they have done some 'modification' on the TV which involved them unpacking it, fixing it and re-packing..

I am not overjoyed with the one I have now, but I have decided to live with it.

With regards to your 'fault'.. my 2nd one did something like this (Although the LED would flash contiunously).

John Lewis did promise to get to the bottom of this, but they never did.

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    With regards to the colour staining, I had this on EVERY set that I had.

It does go away with time.. I wonder if it has something to do with the change of temperature.. But I think that its more likely due to the fact that its packed in a van with lots of other TVs/Magnetic fields.

I would love to say that you will get a perfect one if you keep swapping it.. I did and never got a perfect one..

I did have a 7th one delivered and the picture was awful, so I told them not to bother and kept number 6.

My saga goes back 12 months, so I am very used to the FS70. I did have chance to change my mind at one point and try a different model.

I looked at every model out there and am still convinced that overall, the FS70 is the best of the 36"ers.

11. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I read with interest all the views above about the FS70.
    I have just returned 3 Tosh 36ZP18's and am awaiting delivery of my Sony.

I wonder what it will be like !!!

On Sat. I was looking at a one in the shop, and I must admit the colour and geometry looked excellent on it. Hope the one I get will be as good as it.
    Maybe the colour was good because it has never been switched off (run in !!!), and the geometry has been 'tweaked' for display purposes. (although I have never come across this before).

Fingers crossed I get a good one next week....first time :)

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quote "I don't know what Sony are doing.. But they certaintly arn't shipping the FS70 in what I would describe as "factory condition".

I wonder if they have done some 'modification' on the TV which involved them unpacking it, fixing it and re-packing" end quote.

I think the statement above hits the nail on the head. Sony had a problem with a software setting (NTSC auto detect was incorrectly set causing black and white pictures on), which requireds access to the service menu in order to correct . Maybe this is the reason all these sets appear used. Both my 36FS70 required the menu setting to be changed.

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Maybe its as simple as that.. But if it is, I wonder why Sony choose a team of apes to do the job!

Unless you have seen on of these TVs, I am not quite sure if you will believe how many finger prints are over the screen...

Its not like they even tried to clean them, after what ever it was they were doing!

14. P157232

P157232

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still awaiting my replacement for my Sony KV-36FS70 from Jones Of Oakwood. They have been in touch to let me know that Sony are having difficulty getting them into the country at the moment. To be fair to Jones - they telephone to keep me informed of the situation.

I also borrowed a region one version of Toy Story double pack which comes with THX Optimode setup. This really shows the geometry problems that my current set suffers from.

Looks like I could be waiting some time!

15. P157232

P157232

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm still waiting for my third KV-36FS70 TV set from Jones Of Oakwood. My second set is still suffering with geometry problems, which was dilivered on the 21st December 2001. So it has nearly been a month now and I can't get it replaced.

Apparently Jones of Oakwood still have no sets in stock and do not have a shipping date when they will get some more delivered. So I'm still silently waiting for my replacement.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? Is there a shortage of these sets in the UK? or Maybe just my dealer is suffering? Whatever it is, it is very very frustrating.

All the problems and waiting that I have experienced has really taken the shine of buying something which should have been very very enjoyable experience and has put me off buying Sony products ever again.

Feels like I've been waiting years. Don't really know what to do or where I stand over this issue.

16. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are so many Sony sets returned for refunds because of design flaws and these "replacement" sets you have received might well be one of those returned sets re-circulating amongst dealers. As far as Sony is concerned, there is "no design flaws and nothing wrong".

It's about time to write to Sony UK's managing director to give him a piece of our mind and remind him not to take customers loyalty for granted. When you part with big chunk of your hard earned money, we should not be put thru all these hassles and treated like that.

I have posted the MD's name and address in another thread.

17. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My duff FQ was made in Uk ? Are the FS sets made somewhere else ??

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does the Sony KV36FS70 suffer with the same picture banding issues that the KV32FQ75 has???

If it does not then am I right in assuming that if the TV is properly degaussed and the geometry is tweaked ini the service menu then this TV is otherwise brilliant in terns of picture quality etc?? The reson I ask is that I have the TX36PB50 Panny set that is going back to JL and the TV36FS70 is on my list of possible replacements (as is the KV32FQ75).

I know you shuld not have to have a degausse and should not have to prat around with the geomatory settings but - if this is the only problem and if it can be cured either with a service visit or by playing with the menus then I think you are quite lucky compared to the poor old FQ75 owners.

19. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have now had two Sony TVs which I think are suspect. The first one I bought was a KV32DX30 from Comet, it was sealed with brown tape and there was only one sticker on the screen the DVB sticker. The television was dust free and showed no signs of damage of any kind, and the power cable was neatly wound. I noticed that the screen looked like it had had two more stickers on it. Also the strange thing was that when I plugged the Television in, it turned on straight away. The manual clearly describes pressing the on button in the setup instructions. The TV geometry was set up terribly, but the worst thing was that there was a fault with the screen.

There was a strange 3/4 Inch dark patch/band on the right hand side of the screen. It can most clearly be seen when the television is off and natural sunlight hitting the screen. When the TV is on, it is really noticeable in dark scenes. The night scenes from "Band of Brothers" show it clearly. A few weeks ago there was a film called "Phantoms" on channel 4 in which the fault could be seen on the new TV in virtually every scene

I have since bought a KD32DX40 from unbeatable, and although the geometry is brilliant, the same fault still exists. It looks like the fault may be on whole runs of 32" tubes. The new television again is dust free with no signs of damage of any kind, but the power cable was in a mess, and again the TV turned on as soon as I plugged it in. The last television did not have an "hours used" indicator, so this time I forgot to look, but when I remembered the number of hours listed looked about right.

Both TV's I have had delivered have been sealed with brown parcel tape, and the only sticker on the screen was the DVB sticker. If the TV you have delivered is indeed new, how should they be sealed and how many stickers should it have ? On the thread "Sony apparently selling used TVs!" it says that the box was sealed with staples, and a guy I emailed who also bought the same TV from unbeatable (who I spoke to when I had my TV from Comet) also says his was sealed with staples but he only mentioned the DVB sticker.

When I had the TV delivered from Comet, I tried speaking to someone at Sony on their helpline to find out in what state they deliver new TVs in, but she said that only the people in the factory known that.

Is there a definitive answer on what condition new TVs from Sony should arrive in ? If the box is sealed with brown tape, does this mean you should not even let the delivery people bother to take it upstairs and refuse it ?

20. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Sony KV36FS70 for about six months now. When it arrived geometry was out and I have had to rotate the picture 5 degrees to get the black bands at top and bottom parallel with the screen. When I contacted Sony about this they said this was normal and it was to allow for the earths magnetic field.

Apart from that, the picture is the best I have ever seen. There is some over scanning which I may be able to fix from the engineers menu but I haven't plucked up enough courage to play with that yet!

I hope you get a good one!

DaveP

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DaveP

I have just ordered my KV36 from John Lewis but it is going to be about 4 weeks till delivery. I hope it is better than the Panny TX36PB50 I currently have - still - at least JL are letting me keep the panny for the 4 weeks!!

What is "over scanning" ?

I have an old 4:3 Sony TV and have been playing with the Geometary settings on that in readiness for the KV36 so I should be able to fix that quite soon after delivery.

What else should I look out for with the new KV36?? (Apart from a stunning picture that is!!)

Does the KV36 have a sub-woofer? I can't tell from the specs I have seen so I guess not. If I buy an active sub and attach it to the TV via the RCA out at the back then will the sub's volume be shifted up/down when the volume on the set goes up/down?? From the specs I can see that the output RCA jacks are described as variable. Hopefully this is the feature to allow this.

Many thanks for your comments. 4 weeks is a long time - here's counting!!!

22. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have had a Panasonic PF10 for over a year.
    It has been faultless and I think it is better than the Sony.

No glib remark, no pithy comeback?

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am getting my Sony KV36 delivered this Saturday (they're taking the Panny TX36PB50 away....) I will let you know how I get on.

I'm really hoping the the only thing needed will be some goemetary adjustments. I really hope it is brand new (comes in a proper box) and that the scrolling bars that many people have are not visible..

Why do I get this feeling of impending doom... I wonder SONY??

Here's hoping....

24. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with Sony ?????

Bluestu on another thread has kicked off complaints to BCC's Watchdog after he had three faulty Sony sets.

Come guys, let go for it these few days....i.e. email BCC's Watchdog.

We have given SONY long enough and they have tested our patient to our limit with their denials and also wasting our time (waiting for engineers who can do nothing, dealing with retailers, waiting for delivery, phoning their Customer Service which annoys anyone who bothers to ring up etc)

Please send an email asap to express your feelings. Together we should move things forward and get Sony to wake up.

25. P157232

P157232

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    8-(

Finally had my third KV36FS70 delivered from Jones of Oakwood this afternoon. It has taken eight weeks to get the replacement so I didn't really hold out too much hope that this SONY TV would be any different to the others that I have had. It arrived in the usual state of no stickers on tube and covered in dust with marks all over the screen. When plugged in, the geometry was far worse than the set that I wanted to replace.

I asked the delivery men to leave me with my old set for now and to return the new set, as I need to contact Jones of Oakwood on Monday (when they re-open for business) to discuss my options. Hopefully they will be able to suggest alternatives or give me my money back.

If you are thinking of buying a KV36FS70 in the near future, then I would urge you to read the forums and make up your own mind about this model before parting with your money.

I have very little to say on this matter other than I do not intend to let another Sony product enter my house again. I am not prepared to part with my hard earned cash on anything with a Sony badge on ever again.

26. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I too have have the Panasonic TX 36PF10 for about 2 years and it has been faultless from day one !! Although I did take an extended 5 year guarantee with Domestic & General - which was cheaper than Panny's own extended guarantee !!

Reading all these comments I should sell mine for more than I got it, but maybe, NOT !

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you suspect that your set is second hand you could try going into service mode (I'm reluctant to post the code here as you can do major damage with service mode). One of the pages in service mode has a count of the time that the set has been running. If the running time is more than a few hours there is a good chance that the set is second hand.

On the other hand, I suppose that Sony might be resetting the count at the factory...but they don't seem to be that thorough, do they?

28. P157232

P157232

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Called Jones of Oakwood today regarding my position with my SONY KV-36FS60. My options are:
    - get a TV engineer out to see if they can correct the geometry problems.
    - replace with another 36" set - Panasonic TX36PB50 - paying the extra £240 proce difference.
    - get my money back

I am extremely pleased with how understanding Jones of Oakwood have been with me with this set, especially considering that the problem is with the manafacturer. I doubt very much that some of the UK high street retailers would be this considerate.

I went to see the panasonic in my brother-in-law's house this evening to see if the panny was a worthy replacement. Without doubt the panasonic did not suffer with the same geometry problems as my Sony, but the picture qality didn't come anywhere near as sharp as the Sony.

Jones of Oakwood have advised me that if I get an engineer out and he/she thinks that my set is within the acceptable tollerances, then I will have to pay the appropriate call out fee for the engineer. Is this sort of practice the norm? What is an acceptible level for geometry without incurring the cost of the call-out fee?

My main geometry problems the vertical lines ben outwards in the bottom left and right corners bending outwards. Surely an engineer could sort this out? Any ideas?

29. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had a similar problem with my Sony although the picture bending was at the top of the screen.

I bit the bullet and went into the service menu and have now managed to get the picture to something I'm happy with. It's still not perfect but by making minor adjustments every now and again the picture is getting better and better. I'm happy enough now that I'm not going to send the set back.

I don't know if an engineer would be able to tell if you have altered the settings but if you are borderline as to whether you are in tolerances I'd say give it a go. It's not particularly difficult and as long as you make notes of your original settings and only change parameters that you know what they do you should be ok. I've never done anything like this before but had a good look on the web and found all I needed to know.