Sony KV36FS70: Picture from VCR (AV4) keep fading from dark to light!

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
Last night, I was catching up on some things that I had recorded over the weekend from VCR.

It was getting late and the room was dark, and I noticed that the picture was going slightly dark, then slightly light.

This looked very similar to mild macrovision symptoms.

So, I stopped the tape, and watched some TV from the VCRs tuner.

Again, I could notice the picture fading from dark to light.

I then switched to the same channel, using the TVs tuner and it was fine.

I looked at Sky (in Composite on AV2) and that was fine too.

But the VCR (on AV4) was not.

I swapped the cables, so that the VCR was now on AV2 and the picture still faded.

This morning I tried again, but could not see it.. Saying that, the room was much lighter and in day light, its much harder to perceive subtle changes in brightness.

There must be something about the composite signal from my VCR to the TV.. But what?

Does anyone have any ideas?

interesting... I have noticed something similar through AV4 using svideo from the back of a notebook, to try a DVD (and Quake :) ). It seems to be a slightly lighter column of the crseen, possibly about 1/10th of the screen width. It travels from left to right, and is only really visible on dark sections of screen (ie. on widescreen bars it is very noticeable).

I shall try the notebook on a different AV input to rule out the notebook and svideo cable.

I wonder if it's an AV4 issue though...

Steve,

That sounds exactly like I am seeing!

I turned the brighness up and could see a band which scrolled across the screen.

It seemed to slow down and almost stop at points, then speed up again.... Almost like it was a 'harmonic' of a signal.

I wonder if this is a known issue....

I currently see it on my DVD on AV1 (RGB) and VCR (AV3), but not Sky..

However, I moved the VCR to AV2 and the problem followed the VCR.

My set suffers from the band moving from left to right too. Seems to only occur on the 50Hz picture when connected to a Digital source. Spoke to Sony who told me that this is a 'feature' of the set and not at all a software glitch within the DRC50.

I found that the line becomes just to irratating so I now use DRC100.

As the set is only a few months old - I am still speaking to Sony - suggest you try the same and see what they say to you.

Tim.

I'm relatively sure thats the same problem I saw with a customer's TV a while back. Isn't AV4 the one on the side or has an S Video input?
Same sort of thing. No answer to it to date. But it's interesting that others show the same symptoms!

AV4 are the Svid inputs on the front of the set with AV1 being RGB, AV2 Pal/SVid and AV3 Pal/SVid on the rear.

Have you seen sets that do not perform this at 50Hz as Sony are currently informing that this is a 'feature' of all fs70s?

Any info. is appreciated.....

My probelm is in 100hz, as I never use the 50hz feature..

I definatly get this from my VCR in composite, but I also think I can see something weird from my DVD in RGB..

however, I don't see anything like this from my Dreamcast in RGB or Sky in Composite...

Its not so much that it goes dark to light, but that the 'hue' changes.. You can see it most on flesh tones.. They sort of fade between green and brown..

Only slightly... But when I notice it, I can't stop looking at the faces...

I have now set my TV to view the VCR via RF rather than Composite.... The quality is no different and I get a free AV socket for something else....

I still havn't raised this as a fault, as I want to get to the bottom of it first... To be honest, I don't even know how to explain it.. I certainly couldn't demonstrate it, as it can only really be seen in a darkened room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom