1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV36FS70 Horizontal Geometry?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Roman, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Guys,

The Geometry problems of the Sony KV36FS70 are well known. I have made use of the tips previously posted on this forum for correcting the geomtery of my set using the engineers service menu. The vertical aspect of the picture is now passable. However, recently the horizontal aspect of the picture has gone potty and on widescreen films it is now starting to resemble the same shap as a rainbow!

I cannot see how to correct this in the service menu - can anyone help?

Cheers, Roman

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, most horizontal geometry errors are usually only correctable by undoing the back of the set and physical changes being made (on most TVs, not just the FS70).

3. Mr_P

Mr_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Hi, I've had my FS70 coming on 4 weeks, mine suffers from the scrolling bar problem. New board arrives Monday!
    Onto your problem, well my set is not too bad geometry wise, I have gone through the engineer settings tweaking it to my satisfaction but put a hold on it due to the fact that I may have to ask for a new set if things do not work out with this new board.

The only thing I had to change major wise was the H Trap setting, this was set to 213 on my set and setting it to 127 made the image more straighter horizontal wise. However I suspect that if yours is curving like a rainbow then the engineer settings may not be able to be correct it.

All I can suggest is write down all your original geometry settings and try a few things out to see if you can get it sorted. If not then you can easily revert back.

Does your set not suffer from the scrolling bars? If it does and you get a replacement board arranged, you could ask the engineer when he calls, if he can take a look at the geometry problems you have. If you haven't got the scrolling bars, then you are lucky in one aspect, but unlucky in the other. Sounds like our two tv's taken apart could produce one good tv!!! Now why don't Sony cut their output by half!!! Well build 2 TV's and make one decent one out of them?!!?

4. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi i had my 36fs70 for nearly a year now, no problems like the scrolling bars or geometry, my works perfectly ok, now about your problem, go to the menu and put all the things back to normal in tyerms of the picture layout , if that does not correct your query contact sony.

5. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Guys,

I have tried resetting everyting back to factory defaults and it made no difference. I also adjusted the Horizontal Trap and it did bring a slight improvement - but it's still pretty bad. Sounds like a call to a Sony engineer!

Thanks anyway.

Roman

p.s. I seem to have avoided the scrolling bar problem!