Sony KV36FS70 green patch top right corner?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rjs1974, Feb 11, 2002.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KV36FS70 TV and I often notice a slightly greeny tinged patch in the top right hand (and maybe left too) corner of the screen.

It is only noticeable watching TV, not DVDs, and is most obvious when the screen is bright, i.e. white. It is just a small greeny patch in the extreme top-right corner.

I am pretty sure it's not magnetic interference, since when I switch to Teletext i.e. dark black page, there is no lighter patch in the same corner.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks guys!

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like magnetic interference. have you tried unplugging the set for an hour or so then starting it up again? Also, when you switch it on does it make a boomf sound(clearing the screen) Maybe the resistor for the degousing device id knacked.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a purity problem to me. I had this problem with my old Sony FQ75 and 3 engineers came to try and fix it but they could only suggest fitting a stupid magnet inside the TV. I declined the offer. The engineers said that it was due to strong magnetic fields.

In the end I gave up on the FQ75 and got a different model. The new model (DX100) does not have any purity problems at all. So much for the magnetic fields theory! Sony tubes are known to be very sensitive to its environment. All I can suggest is to try and get a replacement until you are happy.

J

4. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've seen this on so many Widescreen TVs now. It's often nothing to do with magnetic interference, it's just a design flaw with widescreen tubes, with the guns unable to maintain purity in screen corners for long periods with bright images.

The easiest way to get it is just to leave a DVD paused on a bright white screen. After a relatively short period (15 seconds or so) you'll get purple or green splodges appearing in the screen corners.

Particularly common on Toshibas apparently. Happens on my Philips PW6006 too.

Just flicking through some channels or turning the telly off for 20 seconds clears the problem every time.

5. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 28inch 4:3 Toshiba with a green stain in the top left of the screen.

Isn't technology wonderful?

I mean like how long have these companies been making tv's, and the same old probs show up.

:(

6. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It only shows the greeny tinge when the screen is bright white, not black or red or any other colour.

Plus it only affects TV, not DVD playback, although when watching DVDs, if the screen top right is bright white, the black border is tinged whiteish as well.

The degauss works, and I am sure if it was magnetic interference, would it not show up as a light patch on a black screen i.e. teletext??

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its only tv, try disconnecting the areial and plugging a set top areial in. nowt to loose. is the patch still there if you change the aspect to 4:3

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the patch is still there regardless of the colour of the background. The fact that you cannot see it on teletext does not mean its not there. It just shows itself more when there is a white background. Like John Jennings says its a design flaw in the Sony tube. All Sony tubes have this problem. Some tubes have it worse than others. If you are lucky to get a tube that is "good" then you won't notice it. Its a case of swapping it until you find the TV that is "perfect". Unfortunately all TVs are not made equal and every TV made IS unique.

J

9. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If the problem only shows up on bright white after 10-15 seconds it's probably due to the shadow mask (or aperture grille) inside the tube heating up and deforming.

If you buy the video essentials DVD it's full of warnings about how showing peak white from the test signals at default high contrast levels can actually damage the tube.

For some reason manufacturers set the default contrast levels really high (probably to look better in shops) and those levels can't really be sustained for any length of time on a bright white signal.

If the staining is there all the time it sounds like a purity problem and it's either a new tube or time for the magnets...

Ronnie

10. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if it is a purity problem, would physically moving the TV to a different part of the room or a different room possibly cure the problem?

Is it some magnetic force causing the problem?

I did pause a DVD on a bright white screen and the green patch is very obvious in the top-right hand corner, nowhere else though, and it is never visible against any other coloured background i.e. red, blue, black etc.

So, should I try moving the telly, or is it likely to remain evident no matter where it is?

11. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Instead of moving the tv, why dont you move anything thats near the tv away. Anything magnetic that aint shielded. If there is nothing near the tv then moving the tv wont make a blind bit of difference. All this magnitic field talk is garbage.....if it were true in your case it wouldnt pull the color to the top it would pull it to the bottom corners/center. So please dont move your tv.

I had the exact same problem with my old Sony KV32FX60...after 2 attempts to repair it from Sony....it was finally replaced from the shop I bought it from and guess what.....no impurities.

Fux0red tube by the sounds of it....or the color aint firing to that part of the screen the way it should.

My advice.........get it replaced...not repaired...replaced.

Good luck :p

12. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Instead of moving the tv, why dont you move anything thats near the tv away. Anything magnetic that aint shielded. If there is nothing near the tv then moving the tv wont make a blind bit of difference. All this magnitic field talk is garbage.....if it were true in your case it wouldnt pull the color to the top it would pull it to the bottom corners/center. So please dont move your tv.

I had the exact same problem with my old Sony KV32FX60...after 2 attempts to repair it from Sony....it was finally replaced from the shop I bought it from and guess what.....no impurities.

Fux0red tube by the sounds of it....or the color aint firing to that part of the screen the way it should.

13. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574

14. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm waiting here to see if the same post arrives at about 4 o'clock :D............ they seem to be coming in 20mins intervals