Sony KV36FS(Again!)

DRGL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having already had one replacement(first one gave a brilliant picture when warm but the convergence was a mile out when cold!!) this one has colours that are washed out!! All the modes(Live,personal,movie and game) give pictures with far too much brightness,if i set personal with the brightness right down and the contrast right up the picture is OK but not as good as the old one!!

Last night whilst watching a DVD the problems became more pronounced,which ever mode is used (Live,Personal,Movie or Game)the brightness seems way too high-colours are washed out,for example something that should be black appears grey!

Night time viewing has also shown lots of interference in the background of the picture,this is very hard to explain but the interference also takes the form of moving "blocks" or lines,the best way I can describe it is a bad digital signal picture-only it's not as it is there when one of the AV inputs is selected with NO equipment on it and is also there on the DVD start up screen(pictured below so you can see what I'm taking about) I have tried my best to take a picture of the interference but it won't come out.

The best way I can describe the colour/brightness problem is if the gamma is turned up too high on a PC VGA card/monitor.

A visit to my friend(again!!) with the same TV confirmed no such problems on his set,his set behaved like our original one(without the cold start-up problem of course) EVERY mode gave a crisp picture,the only way I can get ours close on DVD is to turn the brightness all the way down and turn the contrast up,this still results in some colours being washed out though,and then when returning to TV the picture doesn't look "right" again!

The interference problem was also not evident on the original set,just to make sure I have switched everything else off(DVD-R,VCR,DVD,Freeview)and it is still there.(also disconnected their SCART connectors)

My problem is this-if an engineer visits I have no doubt he won't see the faults-you can only see it when viewing at night,I am convinced there is a problem as the original set had no such problems and nor does my friends(I seem to spend more time adjusting brightness,contrast and colour on this set than actually watching it!!)

heeeelp!! (fast loosing faith in Sony :( )

Attachments

• dvdscreen.jpg
    dvdscreen.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 87
Hi

Personally I would have this set changed too. Sounds to me like poor factory setup of chroma & luma settings. If you feel brave you could enter mode and adjust the colour & brightness from there. My set also displays blocky artefacts on scrren during low light viewing especially on the DVD players intro screen. This is because I use game mode which I have tweaked in service mode to get a stuning picture (plus minimal SVM) but I can not turn down the sets sharpness setting in this mode. (service mode included) What the set is doing is appling edge enhancement ontop of my DVD's edge enhancement. To get rid of these on screen atrefacts I have completelty turned off my players sharpness setting.

Interesting,thanks VERY much for your reply,would you be able to advise what settings you have used?? The engineer is due tomorrow,i'm gona try and get this exchanged(again!!) the problem is what one person deems as accetable(engineer)may not be to a decerning eye(mine!!) oh...all i want is a nice TV :(

engineer came out,nice bloke(unlike grumpy first one!!) arranged a swap out out without any problems :) Maybe third time lucky??............

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom