1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony kv32ls60???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by glynndenniss, Sep 16, 2002.

1. glynndenniss

glynndenniss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me if the stand for this tv is just for this tv or if it is flat on the top and can be used for other purposes.
    The reason is i am getting one soon but i dont need the stand..

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the cabinet is specially built for the TV, but it may be okay with some other similarly shaped Sony models (eg. the LS35) and perhaps some other brands of TV as well - you wiill have to try it on a case by case basis.

It's flat on top but has two raised plastic knobs at the front. These slot into the bottom of the TV and help to hold it in place. If another TV doesn't have these bumps in the same place then it will be pretty useless (unless something else is going to be put on top).

There is also a holder screw at the back because the LS60 comes with a small plastic strap that runs from the back of the TV onto the back of the cabinet. This helps to further hold it in place but will not matter for the use of another TV.

The 32LS60 is a tremendously heavy TV (almost 70kg in weight if memory serves me correctly) and it is VERY front-heavy, so it's prone to tip forward if it 's not balanced exactly right. Most flatscreens are very heavy at the front, but the LS60 is particularly front-heavy IMO. It's also a very slippery TV because of all the curves.

The cabinet it comes with is lovely but if you really don't want it, then you should make 100% sure that your existing stand/cabinet can take the tremendous weight of this TV and also make sure that it will be balanced correctly.

Hope that helps.

3. glynndenniss

glynndenniss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the cabinet i hav is a big sturdy mahogany cabinet.....but u have be a tad bit concerned over the balance!!!!!!!

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the cabinet completely covers the base of the TV, as it probably will, then I'm sure it will be okay (as long as your mahogany cabinet doesn't wobble :p)

I replied to your PM as well so check your messages - particularly the 2nd one ;)

5. Dolphin Soldier

Dolphin Soldier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seconded, this tv weighs a ton, so don't forget a helping hand.

I could'nt imagine putting it on another stand, as once its up on its own stand, it really looks stunning.
    You might want to try it, if you are getting the stand with it. It won't take long to put togeather.

6. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have just bought this TV, well aboout 3 weeks ago and yes it is well heavy! The cabinet is class though, looks really nice :)

Can I ask another question on this thread, it is 32LS60 related?
    When I tried to setup my home cinema system at the weekend, JBL ESC333, I connected the Optical connection to the DVD and the phono's to the TV as I had done before on a previous Philips 28" Nicam number. But where the Philips used to work through the JBL when watching TV, the Sony doesn't it only works when I'm watching DVD and even then I have too select the input on the JBL when it used to select the input itself depending on which unit you switched on, be it TV, Video or DVD!?!
    There was a button on the back of the phillips where you turned the TV speakers off and it ran on Ext. Speakers, I can't find a button like this on the Sony and when I turn the speakers off in the menu it still doesn't work :(
    Any one any ideas what this is all about?? Sorry that is a bit long and if this should be in a new thread, let me know and I will start another one.

Cheers

7. glynndenniss

glynndenniss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have cable or digital y dont you use the phono outputs for that for your sounf instead of the tv...same for video

8. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another LS60 question I'm afraid...

I had a little time to kill yesteday lunchtime in Reading, so I went into the Sony Centre. They had a 28ls60 next to a 28ls35, and were piping a dvd through them (Lord of the Rings).

I was trying to compare the pictures, and the picture on the ls35 seemed better to me - much sharper, the ls60 was 'soft', no crisp edges at all.

I have no idea how it was connected up, if it was on the rgb scart, settings, etc.

Have any of the LS60 owners around here the same problem, or is it just a case of altering the picture setup? The difference really was striking...

Like other peeps around here, I'm within a gnats whisker of buying an Ls60....

thanks in advance!

ikef

9. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    it maybe due to the LS35 being 50hz and the LS60 being 100hz.

I've just had a 32LS60 a few days ago and I love it. Gorgeous looking set and cabinet and, when you get the picture settings right, a gorgeous picture.

10. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lentini, have you noticed the labelling on the back for the scart connections is flipped to what they up as on the screen? My 1 at the back comes up as av3 on screen and 3 as av1 :confused:

11. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Mine are labelled correctly, my Sky going into "1" and being AV1.

On my set, AV1 is above AV2 and AV3 is to the left of AV2. Is this how yours is laid out?

12. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's how it's laid out on the back, I'd have to check when I get home, but I know when connected my DVD play to 1 at the back it came up as av3 on the front, but I'll double check everything tonight when I play about with the settings, haven't had a chance to do this yet only had it 3 weeks!

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LS60 doesn't have a soft picture. It sounds like the sharpness setting was set too low. Also, if noise reduction was turned on, it softens the picture.

You can't compare them side-by-side unless they were both set up the same and were both using the same feed (composite, RGB, s-video) from the same DVD player with the same cables!

You should go back to the store and ask them for the remote so you can have a fiddle with the settings :)

14. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Squirrel, John Lewis have the set at a decent price right now, so I'l go back in there and have a good demo one morning. I really was bothered by the difference in the picture, it just had no crisp edges at all.

All I need to do is find a credit card which is interest free until next year sometime...

mikef

15. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI All, another LS60 question I'm afraid!

Which of the scart connections on the back is RGB?

I had a short demo of the set in John Lewis in Reading yesterday, they hooked up a dvd player and spun up a copy of Shrek. The onscreen indicator said it was on connector/input no. 2. The chap said it was labelled 'dvd' on the back, but I didn't check.

The reason I ask is that the picture still didn't look like an RGB picture - you know how you can tell when you have a dvd/rgb picture - crisp straight lines, etc? Well, this looked like a good analogue picture, but not as well defned as I would expect it. I compared it to the picture on a Panasonic (PL10 I think), and the Panasonic was a lot better - even to an old pair of eyes like mine. The Sony had slight ghosting to the right of the main image, and very soft edges on objects.

I'm going to back another day for a longer test, I must be missing something somewhere. Can you turn off the 100hz processing from the menu somewhere? Just to check?

Sory to witter on, I'm scare senseless at the prospect of spending £1000 on a tv...

ta

mikef

16. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connector 2 at the back of the TV is the labelled DVD input, well it is on mine anyway.
    I'm not sure what to look for regarding the picture quality and RGB/Scart as I'm new to this, but I did try to alter the sharpness using the on screen picture adjuster, but non of the preset settings let me change this :confused: anyone know how this can be done?

17. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI - I managed to alter the settings yesterday by going to a 'personal' option, as opposed to 'movies' or whatever. Then I could alter colour and sharpness happily.

On my Sony tv at home, the difference between an RGB picture and non RGB picture is massively apparent, it jumps out and slaps you in the face, so to speak...

mikef

18. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS..if anone could let me know how to find the noise reduction option to make sure it is turned off, in case that helps....

ta!!

mikef

19. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    LS60 has 2 RGB SCARTS out of the three, AV1 and AV2.

I've owned a PL10 and found it to be completely crap compared to my shiny new LS60. My must either need glasses or you have glaucoma. :D

If I'm happy with the LS60, it must be a top set

...and believe me, I'm one fussy b*****d when it comes to TV's. :D

20. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Lentini, I am convinced it is in the settings, as mentioned previously by the great Squirrel.

I am also a fussy so and so...I didn't spend too long look at the Panasonic, but the picture was what you would expect from a dvd/rgb inout, the LS60 was nowhere near, which makes me think the devil is in the settings. I'm going to check the noise reduction setting next time I go test...

ta all

mikef

21. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    To be honest, I don't think the Noise Reduction has any effect with an RGB source. If it does, it's very, very minimal.

...and regarding the settings, I didn't think the picture was all that good until I used the settings recommended by Mr. God.
    (find them here)

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quality of the DVD player and scart leads they used will also significantly affect the quality of the picture. Also, maybe the DVD player they were using wasn't set to RGB output (no matter what the sale assistant told you)? Shrek on my LS60 is awesome!

No, you can't.

23. glynndenniss

glynndenniss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And monsters inc looks superb...(shame i had to turn the sound down as the young 1 as in bed)

24. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All this talk of Monsters Inc.?! I'm gonna have to go out an buy meself a copy now :rolleyes:
    I've got Toy story 1&2, is it the same on this?

25. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Squirrel, I forgot about checking the actual output on the dvd player.

If you guys could see the picture, you'd know what I mean. Its good for an analgue off-air picture, buit not for a dvd. I remember when I first set up my player at home to output RGB, the difference in the picture was amazing. Lines were sharp and clear, no grain, it's a treasured memory...

I'm going to go to the Sony store in Basingstoke and get them to set up a demo for me.
    ta

mikef

26. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused here :( sorry 'bout this but I'm new to this stuff. I'm connecting my DVD to TV via Scart to Scart, are you saying it would be better picture with RGB to RGB or Scart from DVD to RGB in TV??

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, Scart to Scart is right. RGB refers to the signal.

Plug your Scart into AV1 or AV2 on the TV.

Get your DVD player to output an RGB signal (you'll have to tell it to do so in the player's menus).

28. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew! Cheers 'GOD, saved me again :D :D

29. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got into the Sony Centre in Basingstoke today, they hooked up a dvd player to the 28LS60 and spun up a copy of toy story.

what an excellent picture!! I asked them to show something with real people in it, but they only had an 'only fools and horses' dvd, which was kinda grainy, so wasn't much of a test.

I guess the only call now is between the 'softer' look of the LS60 picture, or the sharper look of the LS35, which I guess is due to 100hz stuff.

Thanks all above, esp Squirrel. Now if only you could convince my wife hat spending the money is ok, I'm sorted....

mikef

30. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Have you tried taking the missus along when you demo? Mine doesn't like me spending all that cash, but at least she understands and can see/hear the difference between good and bad kit now. Makes my life only slightly easier now...:rolleyes: