1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32LS35 Speakers off

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DGP, Apr 17, 2002.

1. DGP

DGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having purchased one of the above, I am using it with a Sony DB1070 Receiver. The 1070 has an audio feed from the phonos on the rear of the TV. My question is, "to enable the best audio quality from the rear phonos, one has to switch the internal speakers of the TV off. This is done, as i'm sure most of you know from the on-screen menu. The prob is that this has to be done each time the TV is switched on, even from standby the TV defaults to speakers "on". Does anyone know if the default can be changed to "internal speakers off"? I have access to the service menu, I have used this to great effect when combined with the THX setup info on various DVD's, but cannot find anything with ref to the problem mentioned. Can anyone help?

2. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi dgp,would love to know how you got into the service menu,ive tried the various methods ive seen but none appear to work.as for the speaker proplem sorry i cant help their,their is a site somewere that lists all the options in the service menu if i can find it i'll post it here

3. DGP

DGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear themadhippy...I will post the instructions as to how to access the service menu when I find the damm piece of paper that I wrote the thing down on....DOH! I blame the wife,,,

4. simk

simk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DGP,

I just found your thread whilst searching these forums for an answer to the same question. I have a new KV-28LS60 which is great, *except* that, as you point out, the internal speakers are always re-enabled when the set is switch on. Seems really dumb to me, especially if you've cranked the volume up to max in order to give a strong feed to the amp!

Surely there must be a way round this?! I haven't looked in the Service Mode for this yet, but I'm just about to....

cheers,

s

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The way around it is to use a Scart to audio phono out lead,thus bi-passing the audio phono out and adjusting the speaker output everytime.

6. simk

simk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wayne. I was thinking along similar lines after seeing one of your earlier posts on this subject.

I have a SCART->Phono adaptor but unfortunately it goes in the 'wrong' direction. I was going to try rewiring it but as it's sealed for life against user tampering... bah! I'll just have to find a new one i guess...

Thanks again,

s

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I can't understand why you guy are wanting to switch the internal tv spkrs off. Is it because your wanting to adjust the volume going into the amp using tv remote, instead of the amp remote?

Is is not simpler to have the tv vol turned right down and use the amp remote? (as I do).

If you are varying the audio out from the phono sockets to get your volume adjustment, then I wouldn't reccomend it!

I can only presumme this is what you are trying to achieve by wanting to know how to disable internal spkrs. Is this the case?

8. simk

simk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi simon1

I want to disable the internal speakers because I use an external amp instead. There is a menu option to switch the speakers off, although the output level at the sockets is still affected by the tv's volume control.

I would be happy to set the tv's volume to maximum (speakers off!) and then control the volume using the amp, but unfortunately when the tv is switched on the internal speakers are always re-enabled, which can be quite a shock!

if the tv volume is turned right down as you sugest, then there is no output on the phono sockets. This is unlike the older sony I used to use, which had a fixed output level on the phono sockets.

s

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably a silly question but why use the TV? If you are watching a satellite or cable picture why not take the audio feed from that?

If you don't have such a thing then the best option is a scart to phono breakout box, I got one from Comet but you can you find them cheaper eleswhere.

DaveP

10. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Simk

Let me double check this with you:

Your saying that if you have tv vol turned right down, you can't get any sound via the phono sockets?

What model set is it? I'd like to help you out here. I have the sony DX100 and have no such problem.

11. simk

simk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, that is correct! The phono sockets on the back are affected by the volume setting of the tv....

volume=0-->no signal to amp.

My set is a KV28-LS60....

I can see a logic to this in a way - you can just forget the remote for the amp and just use the tv remote to control volume, but the signal to noise level could be a problem... In any case, I don't really mind what it does - my only real complaint is that the TV doesn't 'remember' the speaker on/off setting when it goes into standby.

My friends old sony (1998?) produced a constant output regardless of the volume setting, so I was a little surprised when I realised mine behaved differently.

I understand from others on the forum that the output at the SCART socket *is* fixed, but I can't vouch for that just yet...!

s

12. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I don't see why the opperating system should be much different to mine. Mine works as I described.

Press 'menu', move down to select 'sound adjustmest menu'.
    Here you should see either 'headphone vol' or 'audio out vol'. Select this and move the red bar to the right, untill it's about 80% across, then press OK.

The tv should now allow you to change the tv's vol, without altering the volume outputted from the rear phono sockets. Having the bar about 80% across should be about right for your amplifier.

Let me know how you get on.

13. simk

simk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a work at the moment so I can't confirm anything but it sounds like your menu system is quite different to mine...

s

14. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've just checked the spec on your tv. It says 'stereo phono connection - variable'. It is the same for ALL sony tvs.

I had an FX65 just before this set, with similar menu. What I did find though with both sets, was that from new they were setup with the headphone/audio out volume at minimum! It took me a while to suss why I could hardly get any sound from the amp.

I am confident that this is your problem. Good luck, and let me know if it works.

15. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi simon 1,also have one of these sonys,belive me their is no other options avalible apart from speakers on/phonos of or phonos on/speakers off , apart from that and being unable to select say channel 1 without pressing 01 its a good little telly

16. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If this is the case, I personally don't think I could have lived with that set. Feeding an amplifier with a variable sound output can be bad, as you can input too high a level and cause distortion. I wonder why Sony chose to set this arrangement up differently on this model.