1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32HX15 vs Panasonic TX32PM1

Discussion in 'TVs' started by DJjay18, Oct 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DJjay18

DJjay18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony KV32HX15 vs Panasonic TX32PM1

Two 32" TVs from reputable manufacturers, please can anyone give pros and cons for both, and recommend one over the another. I am buying tomorrow, Tuesday, so a quick lot of replies would be much appreciated.

Jon

2. DJjay18

DJjay18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone pls advise.

3. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost identical spec wise. But I prefer Sony's tube, and the Panasonic stand's a deathtrap :D

KV32HX15 vote (even though the design for their entry level set's surprisingly odd)

4. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deciding between these 2 as well. Any comments on the Sony PQ? Demo'd the Panny & it seemed a great picture, not had chance to try the Sony yet. See what u mean about the stand, bit of an odd design!

5. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Panasonic stands were all recalled, but they're fine now. Still don't seem particularly sturdy though, but I haven't heard of any breaking :)

The Sony's picture is excellent edge to edge. If you give it a good source, then it's very apparent. The tube in each is the same as the digital versions, and that's a better way to compare the tube (analogue isn't particularly clear for that). The Sony tube just seems sharper.

The only problem with each of them is the connections. Only two scarts, so if you want to have digital box (plus vcr and dvd) and connect them as they should be, you'll likely need scart adapter. Honestly, I'd bite the bullet and buy the KD28DL11, normally the jump's only £50 which is half the price of the Sony box unintegrated. It sets the PQ off fantastically. The sound's not quite as good though to compensate for the fact it's Sony's 'budget' digital set.

I wouldn't overlook JVC's AV28T4, it's a nice 3 scart set. Also I've seen the PM1 priced the same as the PM11 (100Hz) for retail. You can ignore most of this though if you want to keep it uncomplicated, I kinda have to hold some detail back sometimes! :D

Most of the TV's should have package deals on them by the way. Particularly the DL11 since Sony are really pushing digital right now.

6. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me the lack of RGB scart's isn't too much of an issue. Ive got Sky+ which I send through my Tosh RDXS32 DVDR & then into TV (Daewoo with 1 RGB scart) so ive got my TV & DVD pic both in the 1 scart at present...& ive noticed no PQ drop by daisy chaining with my DVDR compared to going direct from Sky+ to TV scart. Do like the Sony's looks (plus matches my other Sony gear!) but i know its the PQ thats important. One thing that impressed me with the Panny was that the scan lines were hardly noticeable compared to my Dad's Philips 32".

7. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well for that simple matter, like I say, I prefer Sony's tube. They've always had an edge to edge flat inner picture (instead of a slight curve on the inner tube filled out with glass like many others).

The reason I mention the digital models, is because the tubes are the same on the 50Hz ones, but the image you compare with is better for comparing. Analogue is low quality in comparison, so it's harder to compare tubes. For that comparison though, the Sony one is sharper. Check out the models (and KD28DL11/TX28DT4) instore of course.

8. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See what you mean now! Will probably go in & plug my DVDR as i did with the Panny (got various clips from diff Sky channels). If im not able to then i'll take a look at the Digital ones you mention, good tip, ta. Any ideas on how the Sony performs with DVD's?

9. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same again, very sharp and natural. But check it out as you plan to do.

10. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do, thanks for all your info. Does anyone out there know the height between the glass shelves as my sony amp needs about 17cm allowing for ventilation?