1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KV32FX68U & RGB - An old Chestnut

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Markkfc9, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a KV32FX68U and am on the whole pleased with this. The only issue which appears to have been covered many times before is a horizontal flicker when playing DVD's throgh my pioneer DAV 350. I have spent a long time trawling through previous posts but can't find a definitive answer. I have done as much tinkering with picture settings as I have seen suggested all to no avail. I get what to me is a reasonable picture by either changing from "RGB" in DVD menu to "video" or alternatively swithching Scart lead to the third socket in TV and changing DVD settings to "S-Video". I would however like to find a better solution and anyones help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated: -

1) Has anyone find a solution to this problem that works?
    2) Will buying a more expensive scart lead help in any way - was thinking of a Profigold PGV7000.
    3) Is the difference between Standard Scart / S-Video / RGB dramatic or would it be better settling for S-video (which I assume is middle ground??)rather than chase something that seems to be impossible to achieve.

Thanks a lot

2. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The difference between RGB and SVideo is quite minimal so for a short term fix i would do this.

However, I would still want to find out why an RGB signal gives me flicker. I dont the answer to this.

3. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have the 28fx68, and have the same problem. It's annoying the hell out of me, as well. Having trawled thru the archives of avforums, i did notice someone mentioning something about macrovision being a possible cause, but i'm not so sure.

If anyone has any idea then please help - even if i can just establish that it's the TV's fault as opposed to my Pioneer 565 (and the flickering happens with all DVDs on RGB, not just R1 by the way) then i'm willing to call an engineer and see if they have any idea.

T
    x

4. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People I had the same configuration. A Sony KV-32Fx68 and a Pioneer DV-464 hooked up on eachother. As soon as I set RGB out on the Pioneer I had horizontal flickering once in a minute or so. Very very annoying. First I tought I had a bad scart cable...I went out and purchased myself a high-end one. Then I tought it must be my DVD-player and since I purchased them on the same day I returned my Pioneer and asked for another one, which I got. Excited I got home to try this one out.....still no luck.

Mad as hell I searched every forum there was which got me nothing. So I tried my luck and refusing to think it must be my 80kg TV-set I went out exchanged my DVD-player yet again for an even more expensive one namely the Pioneer DV 470. Thinking I wa smart I asked the store owner to hook it up to the Sony KV-32FX68 to see how it looked. Well I didn't notice too much but still I could see some horizontal lines. The guy told me that will go away with my high-end scart cable.

Got home....still the same problems. Went out to my friend who has a Philips and guess what? Beautiful image from DVD AND in RGB mode.

So I searched the internet and found 7 people who had the exact same problems as I had!! Here is the link:
    http://agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11541&forum=34

Now I was really curious. I called Sony and asked them how it is possible that my brandnew TV had problems with three different Pioneer players. Guess what:
    SONY admits that Pioneer players (doesn't matter what version) have problems with the KV-xxFX68 series. Sony helpdesk also CONFIRMED that the problem was in the TV and NOT in the DVD-Players They mentioned they are working on a solution but couldn't tell me when it will work out.

Strangely enough the Pioneer DVD-players DO work flawlessly on their FQ-86 series. So beware with the combo Pioneer DVD player and FX68- series.

Just my 2 cents.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Rumour has it that Pioneer DVD players have the same problem with Panasonic TV's

6. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I have the Pioneer DV360 and I haven't noticed any problems on my Panasonic TX28DTX10 TV. The TV's a new model, so maybe they've fixed the issue.

7. Frane

Frane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to purchase Sony KV-32FX68 TV, and I own Pioneer S-DV 313 DVD player. But now all this stories about combination of Sony FX68 and Pioneer DVD-s is scared me to death. Does this thing with horizontal lines appears in 100% cases. If it does what is the alternative? I didn't find TV as good as FX68 for price of 540 pounds which store offered me for FX68.So people HELP can this be fixed? What TV to look at????